To Sit or to Stand?

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Yeah... so you admit that making noise on 3rd or 4th down can help the team? So why would making noise on 1st and 2nd down be any different? Read that slowly...

In fact, there are more 1st and 2nd downs over the course of the game, so making noise on every down should have more of an impact on the game than simply yelling on 3rd or 4th down.

Again, tryouts for the team are in August. Good luck, superfan.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
There's no simple answer that works for all situations. I stand during 3rd and 4th downs, and during other pivotal plays, but it's more or less an issue of courtesy for everything else. The rows in front of me dictate most of it; as they sit, I sit, etc. It there's no one behind me, I'm comfortable standing more. It's the two people that are standing during a timeout while everyone else is sitting that get on peoples nerves. Don't be one of those people and you're fine.

C

CyBer

Woah buddy, quit being a ******. Clearly someone likes to yell and scream to try to help the team. If he likes doing it let him do it, just because he likes to stand up and yell instead of sitting on his hands all game means he should try out for the team? You are way off base.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Oh, don't go get your panties in a bunch because you completely contradicted yourself and others pointed it out for you. Its fine if you don't want to stand and yell, just don't tell the rest of us that making noise has no impact on the game, because that is simply not true.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I prefer to stand the entire game, which is why I'll probably keep venturing over to the student section as long as they'll have me!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Being 6'5" I am cautious about only standing when others are. I like to stand and cheer but also understand that others either do not like that or cannot physically stand all came. I'll be up on big plays, otherwise I'm fine sitting.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Stand when the situation calls for it (3rd downs, 4th downs, etc), sure. But to stand for the sake of standing is idiotic. It seems like people that do this think this will win the game for their team... it won't. You are a fan. If you want to win the game for your team, tryouts are in August..

Agreed with this.

Nobody's saying to sit down the entire game. Its definitely not church. Be up and be loud on big plays. But you've gotta remember that one person standing means another 1-2 have to stand in the row behind them just to see, and that has a domino effect going back, so it creates many more issues for people trying to see the game if someone's being inconsiderate and single-handedly deciding for their section that they're going to have to stand as well if they want to see the game. Not to mention you've got many that you will make it physically impossible for them to see the game (shorter people, kids, those with health issues that prevent standing for long periods of time etc)

Additionally, sight lines in stadiums are primarily designed for sitting, otherwise you'd see more vertical distance between rows.

Divided Sky

Nov 14, 2006
I stand nearly the entire game. the people in my row traditionally do, as well. IF I am tapped (I have been once), I'll sit until the next big play occurs. Personal preference. I have seen all of the pro/con arguments.
However, you can't put expectations on how I will enjoy my viewing as a fan. are courteous, I will make every effort to return the viewing experience to you (by sitting at times), as well.
However, the issue seems dumb to me. I'm not going to rail anyone for standing or sitting. To each their own.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I prefer to stand the entire game, which is why I'll probably keep venturing over to the student section as long as they'll have me!

Yep, I always try to sneak in over there too, you can stand and yell the whole game without bothering anyone, and you know nobody cares if you sneak in beer or flasks.

It really is hard to just sit there in a close game, probably some of us are just more energetic/nervous at the game, because obviously some people can sit still at a game and not feel like jumping up after every decent play.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Being 6'5" I am cautious about only standing when others are. I like to stand and cheer but also understand that others either do not like that or cannot physically stand all came. I'll be up on big plays, otherwise I'm fine sitting.

Good call, 32. Some can't see over most full grown adults even when both of them are standing, but there is really nothing we can do about that if the whole section is standing.

Frankly, I would prefer to stand more than sit. I do try to be courteous about it. I'll follow the section but will stand (and be as loud as I can) even if others aren't on big plays.

I do get tired of the 40 something cheerleader wannabe and her ***** whipped husband in front of me who (she) not only stands pretty much all the time even when the rest of the section isn't but also has to have her "spirit hands" up so she is blocking your view even if you are standing. Spirit hands don't make a lot of noise and pretty sure do nothing to help ISU or disrupt the other team. He exorts everyone to stand on third down before the second down play is really even over. There have been a couple of times that I have reminded him that it was the end of the quarter or there was a timeout and I woud make noise on the other end of the time out. There is no way to sustain crowd noise for the duration of those ridiculous media timeouts. If he paid attention he would know that. Other times he makes a big show of turning around and waving for everyone to get up and cheer even when the section is already up and making noise. I have seen her on at least three occasions already this season chastise her husband because he is sitting when it isn't a big play. "Stand up! Don't you want the team to win? Stand up!" For Pete's sake, woman, at least let him have the illusion of still having his **** when he is out in public.

We are all Cyclone fans so let's be courteous to each other as we support our team. Respect someone who wants to stand a reasonable amount of time and respect those who do not want to (or can't) stand the whole game.

Sorry, this turned out to be more of a rant than I intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: wxman1

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
How about uniform colors? I'll stand if they come out with white helmets against Texa$$.

hoelsch44

Oct 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Stand for defense, sit for offense is a fair general guideline I try to follow. But also trying to notice if I'm ******* off any older fans behind me.

At the Iowa game it was mainly hawk fans behind me, so I stood as much as I felt like.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Sit to poop, stand to pee. It's a little scary that guys don't have this memorized.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Sit to poop, stand to pee. It's a little scary that guys don't have this memorized.

From Comics, Quizzes, and Stories - The Oatmeal :

1.png

2.png

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
Speaking of 'spirit fingers'.....how do you guys feel about the dude that wears a big floppy hat or wig that blocks the view of 2-3 people behind him?

This hasn't happened in my section, but I see people tailgating with them, and i gotta think I would probably knock it off his head, IF he didn't respectfully remove it when asked politely.

Back on subject....we have an elderly couple directly in front of us that sits pretty much the entire game, and everyone around us makes a good concious effort to make sure they enjoy the game. We stand and sit with respect as to what is going on on the field at the time. I will never forget the time the 'old timer' asked for a pull on my buddies *cough* spiced cocacola.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"Stand when the situation calls for it (3rd downs, 4th downs, etc), sure. But to stand for the sake of standing is idiotic. It seems like people that do this think this will win the game for their team... it won't."

I agree with the statement above. I've been in this discussion before where guys seem to think that there is a direct correlation between their standing and yelling for the whole game and us winning. I would argue that it is much more important to have strategic variations in intensity. For instance, standing and yelling for the opening kickoff is key. As is standing and yelling on key 3rd and 4th downs while we are on defense. And sometimes, it is important during key offensive situations. However, there, we need to read the coaches and players to see if they want us to be quiet so that they can hear each other audible.

The raising and lowering of the sound level in a stadium can have a great effect. It is clearly seen in the impact of fans as part of Hilton Magic. They know when to get up and make noise. Constant standing and yelling just becomes part of the background. Strategic variation adds real impact. Just think about what it is like for an opponent to have a normal roar going on during 1st and 2nd down, but have a deafening roar against them on 3rd down.

Let's stand and yell with our minds, not just our hearts.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Just think about what it is like for an opponent to have a normal roar going on during 1st and 2nd down, but have a deafening roar against them on 3rd down.

Just think what it would be like if the opponent had to face a deafening roar everytime they are in the huddle, regardless what the down and distance is. That would be even better than a roar just on 3rd down. That's probably wishful thinking, but anytime the fans can get loud enough to distract the opposing offense, its a good thing, whatever down it is.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
I have a really hard time sitting down while the ball is in play. Too pumped up to just sit on my butt, plus I love making as much noise as possible.

During the Iowa game, I was in the endzone, I got our section standing up and making noise during much of the game, it took a lot of yelling and coaxing, but everyone did great once they were into it. An elderly woman sitting behind me was hugging me after the win, telling me she was so proud of my school spirit and how loud I yelled, I didn't have the heart to her much of it could be attributed to the 10 oz. of Vodka I drank during the second half.

ha- I slammed a 350 of walker right before going into wrigley because I saw them frisking cargo pockets. I can relate, because I belted the national anthem from the last row of center field- in the soprano octave. good times indeed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron