Do you think this is why they brought Steele in?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Did the coaches know when they went and got Steele that Tiller might be having academic issues? It sounds like Tiller was below a 2.0 gpa for spring.

Can you imagine had we not brought in Steele now? Barnett would be #1 and Sam Richardson #2. Of course, Capello probably woudn't have left if we didn't bring in Steele though?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
They brought Jantz in because he is better than anyone else we had on the team at the time. Barnett may be close, but Tiller was never the answer.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
This is the first thing I thought as well...though I'm going to choose to believe that Jantz was better than Tiller anyway.

C

CyBer

They didn't bring in Jantz because they thought Tiller would have bad grades during the summer.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Jantz was brought in because it was painfully obvious that Tiller did not have the tools to be a starting quarterback.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
They didn't bring in Jantz because they thought Tiller would have bad grades during the summer.

He has had bad grades LONG before this summer Einstein. Can you read?

I do agree, however, that I think the coaching staff wasn't very high on Tiller's abilities and weren't sure what they had in Barnett yet? I think that obviously factored in the most.

I just wasn't sure exactly how early the staff might have known about Tiller's struggles in the classroom?

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
saw it coming. the coaching staff new what they wanted from day one. Just cause Rhoads is a great guy doesn't mean he wont keep secrets from us.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
He has had bad grades LONG before this summer Einstein. Can you read?

I do agree, however, that I think the coaching staff wasn't very high on Tiller's abilities and weren't sure what they had in Barnett yet? I think that obviously factored in the most.

I just wasn't sure exactly how early the staff might have known about Tiller's struggles in the classroom?

I would not be surprised if it played a factor. Being an average QB is one thing...being average and and not eligible is another. If he had a history of barely making it, that would definitely add another layer of risk.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Did the coaches know when they went and got Steele that Tiller might be having academic issues? It sounds like Tiller was below a 2.0 gpa for spring.

Can you imagine had we not brought in Steele now? Barnett would be #1 and Sam Richardson #2. Of course, Capello probably woudn't have left if we didn't bring in Steele though?

This is not why Jantz was brought in. The academics thing popped up recently (like the last week) from what I understand.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
They brought Steele in because they were concerned about the QB group ability and experience, not grades.

Z

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is not why Jantz was brought in. The academics thing popped up recently (like the last week) from what I understand.

If the coaching staff didn't know he was having academic issues until last week, then they aren't doing their jobs. I really doubt that?

You aren't ineligible for one bad summer, right? He was below 2.0 gpa this spring and had this summer to get it back above a 2.0.

If the coaches didn't know that was the case, they should have.

Last edited:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
If the coaching staff didn't know he was having academic issues until last week, then they aren't doing their jobs. I really doubt that?

You aren't ineligible for one bad summer, right? He was below 2.0 gpa this spring and had this summer to get it back above a 2.0.

A more plausible scenario is that Jerome quit caring academically when they brought Steele in...

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

They brought Jantz in for depth at QB, which this program desperately needed with no proven starters on the roster. After learning this news, I think that we all can agree it was a very good move.

I guarantee you that the reason Jantz was recruited was not because the staff new JT wouldn't be able to play.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
They brought Jantz in for depth at QB, which this program desperately needed with no proven starters on the roster. After learning this news, I think that we all can agree it was a very good move.

I guarantee you that the reason Jantz was recruited was not because the staff new JT wouldn't be able to play.

I'm ok with that explanation, in fact I agree with you.

But the staff HAD to know before a week ago that JT was struggling in class. Don't they get the reports from the spring?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Steele was brought in because there was not enough talent at the QB position. Tiller flunking classes is not good, but it was pretty clear to everyone that Tiller is not a D-1 QB. His stats are horrible, and he never seemed to be able to move the team. We all were hoping that the QB coach would work a miracle over the summer and make Tiller a servicable QB, but that was just wishful thinking on our part.