Tips and things to do in college

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Hey guys, I'm headed off to ISU this fall. Living in Maple and wanted some opinions on all things I should try and do to make my college experience the best possible. Thanks!

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Hey guys, I'm headed off to ISU this fall. Living in Maple and wanted some opinions on all things I should try and do to make my college experience the best possible. Thanks!

Don't fall into the huge vat of alcohol --- figuratively speaking --- that is the ruin of almost every college dropout.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Take your time. The real world blows.

That is my nugget of wisdom.

Reactions: gocy444

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
-Memorize the Moonlight Express phone #

-Make friends with someone w/a fake ID or older sibling @ ISU

-Be damn careful if you're going to drink underage at a tailgate. Bring mixed drinks. that don't look like mixed drinks.

-Jeff's Pizza

-Wrap it up

-You can party your *** off as long as you make sure to stay on top of your classes, IE no drinking till your homework's done. If you keep partying as a reward, you can get away with doing a lot of it (if that's your thing). I had a very good time in college, but always made sure to stay on top of my classes, after failing a class I didn't take seriously my first semester. You can avoid that mistake.

Last edited:

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Go out and meet new people, don't just hang out with your friends from high school.

Don't be afraid to try new things. Iowa State has many groups and activities that you can do for free.

Get passing grades...quickest way to ruin your college experience is getting on academic probation or worse getting kicked out of school.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Go out and meet new people, don't just hang out with your friends from high school.

Don't be afraid to try new things. Iowa State has many groups and activities that you can do for free.

Get passing grades...quickest way to ruin your college experience is getting on academic probation or worse getting kicked out of school.

These are good words. Definitely get out of your comfort zone. Lots of cool folks and great experiences out there.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Take time every day for yourself. Intramural athletics, the Lied, King of Queens reruns, whatever. To Al's point, it's a good habit to make that time a reward to yourself.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
the obvious is go out, have fun, make friends.

but i partied all the time, had great times for 5 years.. but i now regret not taking advantage of things that the university has to offer... go on trips funded by the school.. take advantage of all the resources, staff, teachers, classes... dont waste time on a major that doesnt mean anything..

go to the games! travel to some away football games, go to the home basketball games...

living off of campus was fun, but my favorite year was year one in the dorms...

Last edited:
Reactions: bos

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I would say other than stuff that's actually related to your classes/future job, just don't think too hard about stuff. Unless your pre-disposed to being a hermit, if you're relatively open to stuff and go with your gut your gonna be fine and have a great time.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
-Go out and join a significant number of clubs, go to at least 1 meeting of each. When it comes time down the road to fill out a job ap and a resume no one asks you how active you were in the clubs etc, but you can still fill out a good chunk of paper saying you were involved in all these activities.

-Go to some sporting events other than FB and men's basketball. If you get season tix for FB and MBB you get a cy's pass which gets you in free to everything else. I didn't go to many until after I graduated and wish I would have. Even if you aren't or never have been a big fan before of the sport I went to ISU and had a rooting interest in one of the teams and volleyball, wrestling, women's b-ball etc all of a sudden became a great time. And they're free. Even try out a gymnastics meet once just to check out (the stuff they do is really impressive to see in person even if it's not something you do on a regular basis plus they give out a ton of free shirts and are frequently a top 25 team recently).

-wrap it up.

-Keep your academics in line first year. I know some really smart people that should have had no problem who dropped 2 years into college. A decent amount of fun over 4 years is better than a ton of fun 1st year, a ton of stress 2nd year, and no fun at some CC somewhere while working a part time job.

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Man, where to start? I'm jealous. You're coming up on the best years of your life. I won't turn this into a thesis, but will just throw a few things out there.

Use your time well. Study hard and efficiently so that when it's time to play you can break away and have some fun. You're there to learn and paying a pretty penny to do it, so the school work has to come first, but it doesn't have to consume your life if you do it well.

MAKE AS MANY FRIENDS AS YOU CAN. The more you have, the more options you'll have as far as things to do, people to study with, people to live with after freshman year etc. You'll never have an opportunity to make more friends (some of which will be life-long friends) than you will these next few years.

Be active. Play intermurals, join a club or two, go to athletic events. Don't sit around your dorm room and play video games all the time. Your college experience will be better if you make the most of it.

Lastly, keep your chin up. You'll have some rough days when a test or paper has you worried, but if you work hard it will all work out in the end. Things are never as bad as they seem.

Like I said, enjoy this time. I look back at my days at ISU as some of the best I've ever had. It's a special place.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
-Meet as many people as you can.
-Take your academics seriously, but don't forget to go out, get drunk, and be a fool. There won't be another time in your life where you can get away with the behavior allowed in college.
-Play intramurals
-Use the rec as often as possible especially being at Maple
-Tailgate your *** off. Tailgating is still the most fun I've ever had. As a previous poster noted, don't drink out in the open because you will get busted.
-There will be plenty of girls to be had in your 4-6 years. Don't get locked down with one right away, and definitely don't try any long distance relationships.
-Don't worry about gettiing into the bars underage. The most fun comes at house parties--dirty, packed, smelly, strange house parties.
-Get involved. There are a gazillion clubs on campus and all are a good way to meet people and build your resume. Plus, FREE PIZZA!!!

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I think the obvious thing would be to get student season tickets, especially since Iowa is home this year.

I was surprised no one said anything about this.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
-Memorize the Moonlight Express phone #

-Make friends with someone w/a fake ID or older sibling @ ISU

-Be damn careful if you're going to drink underage at a tailgate. Bring mixed drinks. that don't look like mixed drinks.

-Jeff's Pizza

-Wrap it up

-You can party your *** off as long as you make sure to stay on top of your classes, IE no drinking till your homework's done. If you keep partying as a reward, you can get away with doing a lot of it (if that's your thing). I had a very good time in college, but always made sure to stay on top of my classes, after failing a class I didn't take seriously my first semester. You can avoid that mistake.

This is best advice for any incoming college student. I had a teacher in high school tell me this and it was the most useful piece of advice I got. Manage your free time wisely and you can use it any way you choose.

Oh even if partying isn't your thing, enjoy the freedom of college. A job, mortgage, responsibilty etc...will make your life serious soon enough.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Study and get good grades - making sure you get as much as possible from Iowa State. You pay to get your education, so use the facilities, build relationships with professors, etc. Treat this as an investment.

Definitely go to Jack Trice on a fall Saturday. I always enjoyed the walk from my dorm to the stadium.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
enjoy your time. i just graduated in may and i have no idea where the time went. it was a great time and i met all kinds of people and did things i never thought id get the chance to do.

-join a fraternity (i never thought i was that kid of person but there are many different types and you can fit into at least one if not more.) not trying to advertise but if you want the number for our recruiting chair for Phi Kappa Theta let me know.

-dont bring booze into Maple unless youre sneaky about it since its a dry dorm. they tend to frown on that

-keep up with your grades. (i partied too much my first couple semesters and i had to dig myself out of that whole my next 3 years.)

-join clubs and do intramural activities (and get an intramural T-shirt. i did intramural hockey and football but never got my shirt :sad: