Too many Hawk fans around Ames

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I know a guy from over this way that shops in Ames on a monthly basis. He has told me he purposely wears Iowa gear to get under peoples skins. Could never tell him what I really thought of that since he was my boss, but people like that are the ones that make the decent hawk fans look like *****.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
There are too many hawk fans period. There are too many so called hawk fans that buy hawk gear and claim they are hawk fans but couldnt find Iowa City on a map if you circled it in red for them.

Reactions: Phaedrus

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
You also have to remember Iowa will allow their tiger chicken logo to be on about anything. ISU is more picky. I saw a woman wearing an Hawk hoodie the other day with a small town bar logo on the front. I doubt ISU would allow this to happen.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
You also have to remember Iowa will allow their tiger chicken logo to be on about anything. ISU is more picky. I saw a woman wearing an Hawk hoodie the other day with a small town bar logo on the front. I doubt ISU would allow this to happen.

I doubt EIU knew this happened

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I doubt EIU knew this happened

Unless it was made in someones basement, it looked like a pro job, the U of I not knowing shouldnt happen, since the Power chicken is trademarked. I dont think companies are allowed to just go and put the Iowa logo on anything.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I can't believe how worked up people get over silly crap like this. When are we going to have another thread bashing Shawn Johnson and calling her vile names because apparently she's a Hawkeye fan?

The Tradehome guy did sound like a dweeb though.

ISU will not get more "respect" or more fans until they start winning.

Anyone who wears a F*** Iowa or F*** Iowa State shirt is a complete ****** bag. It's unfortunate some parents can't bring their kids to games because of these and other ****** bags who ruin the family fun.

James..I agree with about everything you wrote. But you must not live in eastern iowa-- the epicenter of Hawkdumb arrogance, ignorance, and a-holishness.

Receiving stupid-as# comments from psuedo Hawk fans every time you wear an ISU item gets real old.

In Iowa City, you may have the least trouble. The more miles you drive away from Iowa City, the more Knuckle-dragging Hawk fans you encounter

Last edited:

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Most of these comments are probably based on message board experience. It is much easier to be a ****** online. In person, everyone can see that you are just a fat, sun-allergic hermit, so they stay quiet.

Oh snap! A chem E just dropped an ugly slam all up on me. Hurts, bro.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
As someone who has spent many a decade in the Iowa City/Coralville area, the amount of ISU gear/fans has increased a hundred-fold.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I still don't understand why there isn't an ISU Front Row in Des Moines. There are a ton of ISU fans and alums here that are literally and figuratively thirsting for an ISU only bar, yet every time that some bar goes out of their way to be ISU friendly they only go part way. No ISU fan would ever go into the Front Row. There needs to be a place that Iowa fans straight up won't go.

IMO, this is a money making concept that's just being left on the table. I know that I would patronize a business like this year round, and I guarantee that there would be many others who do the same.

Awesome. When I was in college there was an apartment near mine that would fly a Hawk flag. We inquired around and it turned out the kid who flew it was a random roomate in a 4 person apartment w/3 other guys. One night a buddy of mine was drunk and he stole the flag off the apartment deck, set out front of their apartment door and took a dump on it.

That is awesome. I hope you were professional about it and took the effort to smear or rub the pooh into the fabric.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
James..I agree with about everything you wrote. But you must not live in eastern iowa-- the epicenter of Hawkdumb arrogance, ignorance, and a-holishness.

Reeiving stupid-as# comments every time you wear an ISU item gets real old.

In Iowa City, you may have the least trouble. The more miles you drive away from Iowa City, the more Knuckle-dragging Hawk fans you encounter

This is very true. It's because they are in that 2/3 of hawk fans I mentioned earlier in this thread that have absolutely nothing to do with the University of Iowa. A large majority of them have a possession (be it a kid, pet, etc) named either Hayden or Kinnick. They are capital D, Dbags.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes

Reeiving stupid-as# comments every time you wear an ISU item gets real old.

This couldn't be more true. This is largely due to A. students (obviously) who have a legitimate and vested interest in the Hawks, and B. a high concentration of alums who have stuck around, or moved back since graduating.

Small towns (no offense to any of you small town dwellers) are going to have a much smaller percentage of college graduates, and instead have people who have simply hopped on the bandwagon of the more successful team. Ironically, these are also the people who are typically far more defensive and angry when it comes to anything about their team (be it the Hawks or whoever).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This couldn't be more true. This is largely due to A. students (obviously) who have a legitimate and vested interest in the Hawks, and B. a high concentration of alums who have stuck around, or moved back since graduating.

Small towns (no offense to any of you small town dwellers) are going to have a much smaller percentage of college graduates, and instead have people who have simply hopped on the bandwagon of the more successful team. Ironically, these are also the people who are typically far more defensive and angry when it comes to anything about their team (be it the Hawks or whoever).

I've noticed this as well. IMO it probably stems from them taking up the cause of a successful team in order to have some area of their life that isn't a wreck. Like you said, it isn't a Hawkeye thing. You see with a lot of teams in a lot of places.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I still don't understand why there isn't an ISU Front Row in Des Moines. There are a ton of ISU fans and alums here that are literally and figuratively thirsting for an ISU only bar, yet every time that some bar goes out of their way to be ISU friendly they only go part way. No ISU fan would ever go into the Front Row. There needs to be a place that Iowa fans straight up won't go.

IMO, this is a money making concept that's just being left on the table. I know that I would patronize a business like this year round, and I guarantee that there would be many others who do the same.

Awesome. When I was in college there was an apartment near mine that would fly a Hawk flag. We inquired around and it turned out the kid who flew it was a random roomate in a 4 person apartment w/3 other guys. One night a buddy of mine was drunk and he stole the flag off the apartment deck, set out front of their apartment door and took a dump on it.

I LOVE this idea. If I had the resources, I'd start this bar. I think the reason it hasn't happened yet is because entrepreneurs are afraid of the business they'd lose turning away Hawkeye fans. Perhaps to broaden the appeal, it could be a Big Twelve themed venue. "Big Twelve Country" would appeal to folks with ties to Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, & Texas while simultaneously turning away Hawk fans- AS WELL as Fuskers! Sounds like a win-win to me.:yes:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Most of these comments are probably based on message board experience. It is much easier to be a ****** online. In person, everyone can see that you are just a fat, sun-allergic hermit, so they stay quiet.

Nice THH reference. :yes:

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
yes, it gets old living in eastern iowa hearing the snarky comments but usually i try to live by "I'll be a bigger person" and just ignore it, smile and just say "Oh Ya? thats nice" kinda like when a kid is telling you a whopper of a story, and go on about my day.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
yes, it gets old living in eastern iowa hearing the snarky comments but usually i try to live by "I'll be a bigger person" and just ignore it, smile and just say "Oh Ya? thats nice" kinda like when a kid is telling you a whopper of a story, and go on about my day.
I have to ignore many if I'm in a social setting. Many people don't realize I'm an ISU alum and huge fan, and I have to pick my battles carefully and bite my tongue often.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I LOVE this idea. If I had the resources, I'd start this bar. I think the reason it hasn't happened yet is because entrepreneurs are afraid of the business they'd lose turning away Hawkeye fans. Perhaps to broaden the appeal, it could be a Big Twelve themed venue. "Big Twelve Country" would appeal to folks with ties to Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, & Texas while simultaneously turning away Hawk fans- AS WELL as Fuskers! Sounds like a win-win to me.:yes:

Yeah, if I had the means I'd be all over it too. No one worries about turning away Cyclone fans, yet there are businesses whose pro-Iowa stances do exactly that, and they're doing fine.

I like the idea of making it open to all Big 12 fanbases, but keep it first and foremost ISU.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

The Big Ten has this. It's called Brothers.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
[/B]

This is very true. It's because they are in that 2/3 of hawk fans I mentioned earlier in this thread that have absolutely nothing to do with the University of Iowa. A large majority of them have a possession (be it a kid, pet, etc) named either Hayden or Kinnick. They are capital D, Dbags.

While I agree with this, I grew up in Bondurant around a ton of ISU fans. A good plenty of them ended up naming their dog Cy or Trice...or Seneca. Some were D bags, some were not. Some were knowledgeable, some were not.

It's hard to categorize any fan base because you are going to end up throwing good fans in with the bad ones. IMO, Iowa has some D bag fans. Probably more than ISU, but Iowa has a bigger fan base as well. It is then intensified by the fact that we are in-state rivals. You hear those D bag fans more often and it skews your opinion of the fan base in its entirety. When you go out of state to a place like Kansas, they are bound to be nicer to you because they are just in your conference and not really the bitter rival that Iowa and ISU are. But rest assured, they also have their fair share of D bag fans. Every school does. It then compounds when they start talking about NFL football...but I digress.