good sports books

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
so I was listening to chris mannix earlier this week hosting the dan patrick show and they had on chris herren, author of basketball junkies and it got me thinking about good sports books. I am planning on getting the new espn book coming out on the 24th and i already have bill simmons basketball book. Does anyone know if or when Tim donaghy's book, Blowing the whistle: the culture and fraud in the nba, will be realeased? The excerpts i've read online are really good and i want to read this so bad. Any other great sports books that are worth reading? like behind the scenes and cover up stories, tell alls, etc.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can't go wrong with Ball Four by Jim Bouton. Other good reads:

Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the NBA by Terry Pluto
Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the ABA also by Terry Pluto
Whe March Went Mad by Seth Davis
Boys Will be Boys by Jeff Pearlman
Can I Keep my Jersey by Paul Shirley
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

wills

Aug 16, 2010
so I was listening to chris mannix earlier this week hosting the dan patrick show and they had on chris herren, author of basketball junkies and it got me thinking about good sports books. I am planning on getting the new espn book coming out on the 24th and i already have bill simmons basketball book. Does anyone know if or when Tim donaghy's book, Blowing the whistle: the culture and fraud in the nba, will be realeased? The excerpts i've read online are really good and i want to read this so bad. Any other great sports books that are worth reading? like behind the scenes and cover up stories, tell alls, etc.

Two VERY good behind the scenes high school football books are:

Season of Life by Jeffrey Marx about Joe Ehrman and the Gilman School in Baltimore

Our Boys by Joe Drape about the Smith Center Redmen in Kansas. This book will connect w/ most who played football in Iowa. It is really good!

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
"Meat Market" about college FB recruiting is awesome.

"Pistol Pete" is darn good.

I just picked up Sports Illustrated book about CFB today at Barnes and Nobles. Awesome pics and stories in it so far.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
Our Boys by Joe Drape about the Smith Center Redmen in Kansas. This book will connect w/ most who played football in Iowa. It is really good!

It's funny that you mention this book, because my high school football coach played at smith center and he used almost everything they did and patterned my school to theirs.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
Can't go wrong with Ball Four by Jim Bouton. Other good reads:

Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the NBA by Terry Pluto
Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the ABA also by Terry Pluto
Whe March Went Mad by Seth Davis
Boys Will be Boys by Jeff Pearlman
Can I Keep my Jersey by Paul Shirley
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

As a Cowboys fan, I loved this one. Took me about 3 days to read the whole thing!!

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
If you're looking for 2 good baseball books and you want to learn more about sabermetrics, "Moneyball" and "The Extra 2%" are really good.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Growing up a Bears and Gale Sayers fan I was really taken by the book, "I am Third". This is the story that lead to the movie (Brian's Song) depicting the relationship between Gale and Brian Piccolo during their playing years with the Bears and the ultimate death of Piccolo from cancer.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy is the best sports/life book i've ever read.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Amazon.com: Darkness to Sunlight (9780977886104): Zaid Abdul-Aziz: Books

I met Zaid in Seattle and bought a copy of his book directly from him. It is a personal narrative, basically split into three parts- Growing up in Brooklyn, Playing at ISU, and Playing in the NBA. I bought the book because I was interested in the section on playing at ISU, but I actually found the part about growing up in Brooklyn to be the most interesting.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Growing up a Bears and Gale Sayers fan I was really taken by the book, "I am Third". This is the story that lead to the movie (Brian's Song) depicting the relationship between Gale and Brian Piccolo during their playing years with the Bears and the ultimate death of Piccolo from cancer.
"The Lord is first, my friends are second, and I am third."

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Amazon.com: Darkness to Sunlight (9780977886104): Zaid Abdul-Aziz: Books

I met Zaid in Seattle and bought a copy of his book directly from him. It is a personal narrative, basically split into three parts- Growing up in Brooklyn, Playing at ISU, and Playing in the NBA. I bought the book because I was interested in the section on playing at ISU, but I actually found the part about growing up in Brooklyn to be the most interesting.

Wow, thanks for posting this. I didn't know he had written a book.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009

If you want to read more about Chris Herren, read "Fall River Dreams". Pretty good book.

As a Mets fan I have to recommend "The Bad Guys Won". Some awesome stories there.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
Good in what way? You want historical stories, or do you want analytical type of stuff.

What sports?

I've got at least 2 dozen I could recommend that hasn't been recommended, but it depends on what your interests are

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
Good in what way? You want historical stories, or do you want analytical type of stuff.

What sports?

I've got at least 2 dozen I could recommend that hasn't been recommended, but it depends on what your interests are

I'll give almost anything a chance, but preferably basketball or football. Either analytical or a tell all type of book

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron