Cael Win Magazine Interview

Apex

Apr 25, 2009
Cael stated in a Win Magazine interview " It was clear to me that the ISU administration and some of the more public alumni weren't convinced I was the right guy for the job."

It is hard for me to believe that any one could come to this conclusion with the rise in attendance at home meets,conference championships and high finishes at the national tournament while he was the head coach.

I think he just wanted to coach at Penn State because of the high population and talent in the area.

cyspike

Apr 20, 2011
Cael stated in a Win Magazine interview " It was clear to me that the ISU administration and some of the more public alumni weren't convinced I was the right guy for the job."

It is hard for me to believe that any one could come to this conclusion with the rise in attendance at home meets,conference championships and high finishes at the national tournament while he was the head coach.

I think he just wanted to coach at Penn State because of the high population and talent in the area.[/QUOT He's a liar, plain and simple. He left for more money and that's all. He's a punk.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I think he just wanted to coach at Penn State because of the high population and talent in the area.

By "more public alumni", I'm assuming he means the bigger donors. And while when you've got a team contending for national titles, you would like to believe that donors would just be throwing money at the program. Doesn't mean it always happens, though.

I'm not saying he didn't get much from those donors, because I don't know. But lacking that kind of support is a pretty big deal, IMO.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
By "more public alumni", I'm assuming he means the bigger donors. And while when you've got a team contending for national titles, you would like to believe that donors would just be throwing money at the program. Doesn't mean it always happens, though.

I'm not saying he didn't get much from those donors, because I don't know. But lacking that kind of support is a pretty big deal, IMO.

When you compare alumni support at Iowa State vs Penn State, Iowa, Ohio State and others, Iowa State only has a small %age of the support these other programs have. Also KJ has been alot more vocal about getting support for the Cyclone Wrestling club and I think it is helping. Cael has a lot quieter personality that doesn't get you passionate about the program (especially the fringe fan).

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
He's justifying his departure and trying to make it look like something besides what it actually was...him being sick of playing 2nd fiddle to Brands and Iowa in-state. The facilities and pockets that PSU could offer were 2nd to none and he jumped at the chance to make his own footprint there. I don't understand why he doesn't have the sack to admit it and quit picking 2 year old scabs.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
im going to say that is a bunch of cra p... no way people wanted him fired, and if they did, they should be gone. He only won 2 BIG 12 titles... Totally not the right guy. Come on Cael.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
He's justifying his departure and trying to make it look like something besides what it actually was...him being sick of playing 2nd fiddle to Brands and Iowa in-state. The facilities and pockets that PSU could offer were 2nd to none and he jumped at the chance to make his own footprint there. I don't understand why he doesn't have the sack to admit it and quit picking 2 year old scabs.

I think when he mentions "more public alumni" , he's talking about the money that will be thrown at him to make Penn State a wrestling power. Look at the support he has at Penn State after 2 years. He's God out there. The fan support is huge and he can get whatever upgrades he wants and alumni will come up with the money. We don't have that, but I think KJ is much more passionate with the fans.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Where is Iowa on that list?
They're not. Iowa spent a lot of money last year, and was really just building depth in this class. We had a little more money, but did much that same thing. Not a lot of impact wrestlers in our class. Next years class will be the deal breaker. If we struggle there, KJ is going to have to start finding rabbits in his hat.

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO

I am convinced that the biggest problems for ISU wrestling are:

1. The Big Ten Network. That network regularly broadcasts wrestling matches on national TV.
  2. The declining number of Big 12 wrestling teams.
  3. The lack of a wrestling only training center.
  4. Gable's departure years ago.
  5. Cael's more recent departure.
  6. Money at ISU versus the big Big Ten schools.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Cracking the top 10 is going to be alot more difficult than 20 years ago. Then you had Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Minnesota, and Oklahoma.

Now you have Iowa, Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Cornell, Oklahoma State, Minnesota, Boise State. Then throw in schools like Nebraska, American, Oklahoma, Iowa State, and a few others trying to get to the top 10.

I think Iowa and Penn State are going to be consistently in the top 5 year after year. I'm hoping were consistently in the top 10 and battling for a title every few years. We're not there yet.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I think when he mentions "more public alumni" , he's talking about the money that will be thrown at him to make Penn State a wrestling power. Look at the support he has at Penn State after 2 years. He's God out there. The fan support is huge and he can get whatever upgrades he wants and alumni will come up with the money. We don't have that, but I think KJ is much more passionate with the fans.

This is the correct answer.

Cael didn't leave because he suddenly hated Iowa State. Cael left because Penn State gave him more than anyone else has. The budget, the facilities, the signing bonus, the incentives, the area to recruit.....I had a guy tell me the other night, and he wrestled at Edinboro, that his coach told him that when these kids came to campus it was like going to Disneyland.

I have also heard that Cael is working out hard again. He is doing all of the work, and kicking Varner's *** all over the mat. They all seem to really think that he is going to try for the olympics again.

The little tournament he wrestled a few weeks ago, he was turning guys, letting them know that he could kill them, and then rolling them through.

I was as disappointed as anyone when he left. But the reasons for his leaving were pretty obvious, and completely understandable.

PS, I spoke with Jon Reader's dad, and he is going to stay in the room for sure. He went up a weight, and will be working out with KJ, and the Paulson's. He loves the coaching that he received from the current staff, and his dad had nothing but good things to say about KJ.

Between that conversation, and the one that I had with Kyven's dad a few months ago, I will say that KJ has generated some real loyalty with his wrestlers.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Who are we to sit back on an anonymous message board and feign ultimate knowledge to disregard Cael's words as justification and dismiss his reasoning? God forbid somebody not drink the shifting Cyclone Koolaid and paint a Bob Ross portrait of Cyclone roses and happy little trees. The administration thought the work was finished with the excitement hire. Crossed it off the proverbial to-do list. It'd be better if Pollard came out and admitted a necessary focus on basketball and football projects might have causes undue sacrifice in wrestling. Instead there is this "Gee golly. Shucks. What happened?" attitude.

There might be a reason that two Cyclone legends - in the only sport Iowa State has any historic success - have left Ames. It's easier to say it's the departed coaches but much harder to admit it might be the apathetic donor contingent, administrations deep desire and focus on revenue generators and general relative fan apathy.