daycare provider fired???

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
This lady should have been commended, not fired. Prayers still with you and your family Troy.

Local News

Not sure if this link will work, trying to attach from phone. Story on kcci.com.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
It was the wrong thing for that company to do. They lost 5,000 something dollars for a good cause. Now they may lose a lot of business due to this story.

One of the worst parts is that the Suits in Michigan tried paying her off to not go to the media.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
She never should have gotten fired and I can certainly sympathize with what one of our own has gone through, but that said, she is definitely in the wrong. It is not her company to determine what is and is not allowable.

Hawkfan44

Dec 13, 2008
Sure they offered her a bribe to keep quiet. Kudos to her for not taking it. They just as well close up that location. They don't know Iowans like I do. People will rally around her for helping that family! Great job by her. She is in the right line of work showing that compassion! I hadn't seen that so thanks for sharing!

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Wow! Did I read that right...the company wanted to pay her to keep quiet about why she was fired?

And, as expected, the company's response was filled with, "blah blah blah, corporate speak, blah blah blah, corporate jargon, blah blah blah, corporate spin, blah blah blah, this is among the worst PR moves a company could make but we hope our corporate speak will hide that fact, blah blah blah."

Suspending her without pay for a week-ish and/or writing her up for breaking company rules might be appropriate, but not firing her (that is, unless she's been in trouble multiple times in the past and they were just waiting for a reason to fire her...but I highly doubt that's the case).

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's unfortunate that the company felt they needed to take this action. I can understand that they were disappointed that she wasn't following the company's policy, but it seems like they could have handled the situation a little better and found an alternative solution.

I applaud her decision making with regard to both providing the free care and not taking their hush money and I hope she finds a new position soon.

yCy

Apr 12, 2006
I hope she finds a way to open her own child care center. It would be nice if she could take all of the staff and customers with her.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
That's some ******** right there. One week of free daycare to a family that just lost 2 kids? At least a month, so the family can get their life in order.

I think the Dad frequents CF

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
She stood up for what she believed was right and helped a family that needed it. Good for her, the world needs more people willing to do that. Word will get out and opportunities will open up for her. That's exactly the kind of person I would want around my child.

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I can see both sides. The management company told her not to do it, she did anyway, and there have to be consequences. However, this is some massively bad PR for the location. Management should have just given her what she wanted and turned the PR around the other way.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
this is one of those times where i think she should sue the company and take them for what they are worth

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
this is one of those times where i think she should sue the company and take them for what they are worth

sue them for what? The company didn't do anything worthy of a suit. She pretty clearly violated the company's policy.

That said, this company might lose more money as a result of the bad PR, than they have from the all the free child care she provided. You'd hope they'd realize that and hire her back.

laytonz

Feb 16, 2009
Ames

Not to be a downer, but her lawsuit would be dismissed immediately. She violated company policy and was fired pretty cut and dry. Plus the US is employment at will so really can fire someone for anything other than discrimination.

That said I think this will kill Childtime or whatever. Iowans won't like the fact that a lady was trying to do what most people would consider the right thing and was fired. What should have happened was a performance right up and maybe a internal tongue lashing for ignoring upper management.

I agree what she did was admirable, but she also knowingly and willingly violated policy after consulting management about it.

Again if I had a kid I would probably transfer him/her after this, but she wasn't completely in the right either.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
sue them for what? The company didn't do anything worthy of a suit. She pretty clearly violated the company's policy.

That said, this company might lose more money as a result of the bad PR, than they have from the all the free child care she provided. You'd hope they'd realize that and hire her back.

I agree the company technically is in the right - she asked, then willfully violated what she was told to do. I would have done the same in her shoes, she definitely has the moral standing.

The company has handled this wrong and will likely see some decrease in business, however my guess is there will be less than 10% of the existing children transferred out of there because of it.

If I were making the call as the company I would have reprimanded her but publicly commended her.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Sorry, but this makes no sense at all. She blatantly broke company policy by offering the free child care. That is equivalent to stealing and there is no way that her defense would hold up in court.

That being said, I do think that what she did was honorable, making a huge sacrfifice for a family in need, and there is no way that she should have been fired for it.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
Sorry, but this makes no sense at all. She blatantly broke company policy by offering the free child care. That is equivalent to stealing and there is no way that her defense would hold up in court.

That being said, I do think that what she did was honorable, making a huge sacrfifice for a family in need, and there is no way that she should have been fired for it.

im not saying she would win i just hope that she could since that is a **** move. i support her but i understand the other side as well