Biggest upsets in your bracket?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I fill out two brackets every year in my pool, and in one of them I took Belmont over Wisconsin in the first round.

What have you got?

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I fill out two brackets every year in my pool, and in one of them I took Belmont over Wisconsin in the first round.

What have you got?

Same one as you. I have no other major upsets. I have a few in later rounds with 6s beating 3s, etc.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Utah State over KSU.

Without looking at my bracket, I know I took Marquette over Xavier and I took Utah State over K-State. Utah State has the forth best record in this tourney.

Also, I picked it in one of my brackets, but I could see Purdue going down first round, only because they remind me of the 2001 Cyclones. Loose a game towards the end of the year (to a team you should have beat) on the road after winning your last 10 games . Than get embarrassed in the first game of conference tourney to a team with a lower seed, than get to the tourney and loose to a team you have never heard of before. I have a feeling Purdue is lacking a lot of confidence right now.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Without looking at my bracket, I know I took Marquette over Xavier and I took Utah State over K-State. Utah State has the forth best record in this tourney.

Also, I picked it in one of my brackets, but I could see Purdue going down first round, only because they remind me of the 2001 Cyclones. Loose a game towards the end of the year on the road, a game you probably should have won. Than get embarrassed in the first game of conference tourney to a team with a lower seed, than get to the tourney and loose to a team you have never heard of before. I have a feeling Purdue is lacking a lot of confidence right now.

Also their sixth man Kelsey Barlow is suspended for the tournament. But they got a very good draw. I can't see them losing to St Peters or Georgetown/USC.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Also their sixth man Kelsey Barlow is suspended for the tournament. But they got a very good draw. I can't see them losing to St Peters or Georgetown/USC.

I wouldn't of ever given Hampton a chance to beat ISU...just sayin'!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Gonzaga to the Elite 8 with wins over St. John's, BYU & Michigan St.

Of course, that's on one of my 10 brackets I filled out on ESPN. The bracket I'm using at work is way more conservative.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Wofford over BYU
Mizzou over Cincy
Utah State over K-State
USC/VCU over G-Town
Richmond over Vandy
Marquette over Xavier

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Richmond over Vandy, Mizzou over Cincinnati, and Gonzaga over St. John's in Round 1, Xavier over Syracuse in Round 2, and Louisville over Kansas in the Sweet Sixteen. I'm not really sure if any of those would be classified as "earth-shattering" upsets - in fact, on a lot of those, the only reason why they'd be upsets is based on seed number.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I have Richmond over Vandy then I also have Washington making a run to the elite 8. Dont really think its an upset since Utah State should have been seeded much higher but I also have them over Kansas State.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Richmond over Vandy, Mizzou over Cincinnati, and Gonzaga over St. John's in Round 1, Xavier over Syracuse in Round 2, and Louisville over Kansas in the Sweet Sixteen. I'm not really sure if any of those would be classified as "earth-shattering" upsets - in fact, on a lot of those, the only reason why they'd be upsets is based on seed number.

Exactly. Most 1st Round upsets are based on poor seeding by the tournament committee.

Look at Cornell last year. They had 4 losses going into the tournament of which 1 was a 5 point loss on the road at Kansas. Cornell had the lead by 1 point with 50 seconds left in that game. They also played a close game against Syracuse early in the season. That Cornell team was far better then the 12 seed they were given and surprise, surprise... they went out and beat Temple by double digits in the 1st Round and then smoked Wisconsin by 18 in the 2nd Round.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Richmond and Utah St. to the sweet 16 with Belmont beating Wisconsin. I also have Washington beating UNC in the 3rd (formally 2nd round).

Help Support Us

Become a patron