Why is hanging on the rim a technical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I never saw what was so bad about it. It doesn't seem like all officials call it anyway.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
He excessively hung on it. He swung back and forth and nobody was below him so there was no safety issue.

Easy call IMO.

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
It's considered taunting. You can only hold on if there are players under you and you're doing it to not land on someone. It was a good call.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Oh well, can someone get this up on youtube anyway.

It was like pie in their eye.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
He excessively hung on it. He swung back and forth and nobody was below him so there was no safety issue.

Easy call IMO.

Its a judgment call, but it looked to me like the colorado player actually touched godfey during the dunk... And you saw godfrey look around and point to the player after the dunk... I think it was a BS call... Luckily it didnt scew us tonight...

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Taunting/Showboating

Meh. Players taunt and showboat the entire game. Don't see how hanging on the rim is any worse. Guys scream after they get a foul and pump their chest. IMO that's worse than hanging onto the rim.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I want someone to Youtube the dunk and also the 3 pointer that rolled in and out and back in from SC.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
I never saw what was so bad about it. It doesn't seem like all officials call it anyway.

To prevent this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jMOK87N7A]YouTube - Nba - Shaquille O'Neal Breaks Down The Backboard[/ame]

Seriously I thought Cal was trying to tear that thing down! Great game by Cal with 1 mistake.

Reactions: Aclone

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
can't blame the refs for calling that one. Calvin earned a T. Even so, it was a monster dunk.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI

Good post. I completely agree. I think the refs in this game applied the rules as they are stated correctly, but the more important question is why is hanging on the rim a T in this age of basketball.

With the rim and backboard technology, any rim can take 99.9% of players (Shaq the exception) dunking and hanging.

I've seen so many injuries of wrist (from trying to soften the fall) and tail bone injuries (from landing hard on it) because guys Don't want to hang on the rim.

And, lets face it the DUNK is one of the best aspects about the game period. Why not allow it to be a little more exciting?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Hanging on the rim when no one is around you is as easy of a call as you'll get. It's the definition of taunting. The refs had no choice but to call it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Someone actually thinks it was a questionable call?...LOL

That was as flagrant of a hanging on the rim as you can do. I love it now since it didn't cost us the game, but he needs to keep that in practice.

Monster game by Godfrey and GREAT way to send the Seniors out.

Go State...let's get a couple more!

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Someone actually thinks it was a questionable call?...LOL

That was as flagrant of a hanging on the rim as you can do. I love it now since it didn't cost us the game, but he needs to keep that in practice.

Monster game by Godfrey and GREAT way to send the Seniors out.

Go State...let's get a couple more!

I don't think it's a questionable call. I just don't know why it's a rule anymore.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Meh. Players taunt and showboat the entire game. Don't see how hanging on the rim is any worse. Guys scream after they get a foul and pump their chest. IMO that's worse than hanging onto the rim.

I've never understood it. IMO which is worse a broken ego from an in your face dunk or a broken wrist, arm, or broken tail bone. Always seemed pretty straight forward to me, but the NCAA still hasn't done anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron