Why is wrestling popular in the midwest?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I love wrestling as a little kid, a couple of my friend's dads would pick up a bunch of kids and we would go wrestle at little kid tourneys every weekend. I was a little kid, so wrestling was great because I competed against kids my size. And we goofed around in between matches. We later became State Champs in 2A. It was going as a group that made it fun; my parents went to the close ones to watch, but maybe only to half of the tourneys I participated in. Also you can have success as an individual and team. I think it made me mentally tough, more than physically tough. I wouldn't trade those years for anything.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Yes, you can get it drained. I've gotten it at least 5 times but you can't tell because I drain it. Some guys just consider it a "mark of pride" type thing so choose not to.

had both of my ears drained, but it didn't get rid of it all. can still see it, and the worse part is that it really bothers me to wear sunglasses now.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Really? All they do is stick a syringe in your ear and suck out the fluid.. I've never even been asked if I wanted anesthetic, just a swab with an alcohol pad and they stick it in. Not the most comfotable experience in the world, but pretty low on the list of painful happenings.

never had the cast stitched through your ear to keep it from refilling eh?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
never had the cast stitched through your ear to keep it from refilling eh?

Actually I did once - I got it like a week before districts sophomore year, so they stitched it up so that I could keep practicing. It wasn't a cast though, they just took two of those nose tampon things and stitched them with one on each side of the ear.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
ya the tampon thingies. i thought it hurt like hell. i've been known to be a ***** though.

I never went to an actual doctor. Our coaches wife was a nurse and would do all this stuff for free before school... So never had the tampon thingys your talking about, but had some cotton balls with harding gooze then she would wrap my head so I looked like a ******* all day in class. I looked stupid at the time, but she knew what she was doing. I know at least 3 other guys she treated and none of them have any signs of it now...

I still say it hurt like the dickens though.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I never went to an actual doctor. Our coaches wife was a nurse and would do all this stuff for free before school... So never had the tampon thingys your talking about, but had some cotton balls with harding gooze then she would wrap my head so I looked like a ******* all day in class. I looked stupid at the time, but she knew what she was doing. I know at least 3 other guys she treated and none of them have any signs of it now...

I still say it hurt like the dickens though.

Yeah, it isn't a complicated thing, some MMA guys I work out with just do it themselves even, having a nurse who knew how to do it safely for free would have saved me and my parents some money in high school, and me some in college!

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
The only bad thing about the sport has largely been cleared up in recent years and that is weight cutting issues, as back in the day for example my brother his freshman year probably weighed about 185-190, he cut down to 145, which was very unhealthy. Now days there are body fat tests that must be taken and there are limits on how much a kid can lose (weight wise). Other than that issue wrestling is a very tough sport because its just you out there and not a lot of people can hack that as you see a lot of kids quitting the sport early when things don't go there way. I personally will steer my kids boys and girls to this sport, i just love what the sport teaches you, discipline and mental toughness, and i love the one on one aspect, because in the end if you lose there is no blame as it is all in your hands. You see a lot of this in Iowa, like said above you see a lot of really tough farm kids who in general don't have a lot of athletic skill when it comes to the ball sports, but seem to excel in wrestling.

You're confused if you think this has been fixed. There's kids in my school who cut that 15-20 pounds BEFORE the body fat test so they can get tested, get a doctor's waiver to go down another weight class and essentially lose another 10-15 pounds afterwards. It's sick.

I wrestled. I was dumb enough to cut weight while my body was trying to grow. My kids can do what they want; band, theater, sports, anything, but I will not be suggesting wrestling.

That said, I do enjoy watching it.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You're confused if you think this has been fixed. There's kids in my school who cut that 15-20 pounds BEFORE the body fat test so they can get tested, get a doctor's waiver to go down another weight class and essentially lose another 10-15 pounds afterwards. It's sick.

I wrestled. I was dumb enough to cut weight while my body was trying to grow. My kids can do what they want; band, theater, sports, anything, but I will not be suggesting wrestling.

That said, I do enjoy watching it.

There were plenty of guys at my school who did that as well. Or tried to lose 7 pounds in 6 hours because they came to school the day of a meet overweight. I didn't even wrestle after the 4th grade, and I knew that was just because they weren't even remotely dedicated. It can't be that hard to maintain a safe weight if you actually try (over the long haul, not at the last minute). (End of response to your post)

I wrestled when I was younger (K-4th grade), and switched to basketball until I got to high school. I wasn't good at it at all (always more of a baseball guy). But I certainly wouldn't discourage my kids from trying it, and would be plenty happy if they found that they loved it. I'd like to think that I'd be open to them participating in any sports they want (or band, school play, etc.). It's not "gay", or anything like that. I'm pretty sure that Brent Metcalf or Cael Sanderson could kick the s*it out of just about anyone here.

I don't thoroughly understand the sport, but I do have a decent time watching when there are good teams involved (which is why I never miss Iowa's meets against ISU/Minnesota/Okie State/etc.).

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
I think the success that Iowa and Iowa State have had on a national level the past 30 or so years plays a huge part of it. I lived in OK for 5 years in the 80s. High school wrestling is huge there as well. And again the in state colleges both have had strong programs.

Sadly, ISU is now a relic program of the past. But since the State of Iowa is now allowing females to wrestle males . . maybe ISU can strike early and have the first all female wrestling team in the NCAA. That would put ISU back on the map?? 8^)

Last edited:

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
iowa likes wrestling because we suck at other big name sports (basketball, football, etc.) and thats the one thing we can be good at (or used to be good at) that places like texas and the SEC arent good at

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
why do you have a picture of a mens water polo team?

I was at your Mom's house last night and was talking about "wrestling". She scanned this photo out of your play girl magazine you thought was cleverly hidden under your mattress.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
History and tradition. But it can't be said it's only popular in the midwest and nowhere else. It's as huge in Pennsylvania as anywhere. It's an indoor sport so it's going to have deeper roots in cold weather states.
That about nails it right there. Baseball's big in the south with its warmer climate. Go a little farther north and you have a whole lotta hockey.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I was at your Mom's house last night and was talking about "wrestling". She scanned this photo out of your play girl magazine you thought was cleverly hidden under your mattress.
That was pretty weak

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Sadly, ISU is now a relic program of the past. But since the State of Iowa is now allowing females to wrestle males . . maybe ISU can strike early and have the first all female wrestling team in the NCAA. That would put ISU back on the map?? 8^)

Yeah, kinda like Texas in football.:rolleyes:

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
I think the OP is selling the sport short by saying it is only popular in the Midwest, I would say it is almost more or just as popular on the East coast as well and growing fast on the West coast.

I can see why people wouldn't like it though, if you don't know the rules or holds it wouldn't be fun to watch, just like I can't stand soccer because I don't understand all the rules.

Wrestlers and most of the people (not all) that are big into the sport wrestled at one time or another in their lives so they understand it better and you get that exposure to wrestling at an earlier age in the Midwest and parts of the East coast as compared to the Southern or Western parts of the US.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think the OP is selling the sport short by saying it is only popular in the Midwest, I would say it is almost more or just as popular on the East coast as well and growing fast on the West coast.

I can see why people wouldn't like it though, if you don't know the rules or holds it wouldn't be fun to watch, just like I can't stand soccer because I don't understand all the rules.

Wrestlers and most of the people (not all) that are big into the sport wrestled at one time or another in their lives so they understand it better and you get that exposure to wrestling at an earlier age in the Midwest and parts of the East coast as compared to the Southern or Western parts of the US.

It's like hockey, I don't know why it is on ESPN. Seems like they show the fights more than anything else. I don't understand it and have know interest in going and watching it unless they have beer specials after they score a goal.

Help Support Us

Become a patron