Why is wrestling popular in the midwest?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the OP is selling the sport short by saying it is only popular in the Midwest, I would say it is almost more or just as popular on the East coast as well and growing fast on the West coast.

I can see why people wouldn't like it though, if you don't know the rules or holds it wouldn't be fun to watch, just like I can't stand soccer because I don't understand all the rules.

Wrestlers and most of the people (not all) that are big into the sport wrestled at one time or another in their lives so they understand it better and you get that exposure to wrestling at an earlier age in the Midwest and parts of the East coast as compared to the Southern or Western parts of the US.

I think the OP was more trying to figure out why wrestling is so specifically popular in the Midwest not that it is only popular in the Midwest. It is popular and gaining in popularity in other regions, but in many of them it is still way behind football or baseball.

In Iowa specifically, for boys HS sports it is very close to the top boys sport. I think there is almost as much excitement for the state wrestling tournament as their is for state football playoffs or basketball. That is uncommon outside the Midwest.

I think it really has a lot to do with the sports popularity in smaller rural schools that are more abundant in our region.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Why are you so obsessed with my mom? Did she give you herpes or tell you that your gentalman sausage was too small?

If you check the thread, it all started with your concern about where I found the polo picture. I have just been stringing you along much like your Mom.....

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
If you check the thread, it all started with your concern about where I found the polo picture. I have just been stringing you along much like your Mom.....
No reason to check the thread but, there you go with my mom again. I'm sorry she hurt your feelings and gave you herpes, but that has nothing to do with me. If you would stop going to the nursing home to pick up women that all would have been avoided.

BTW no offence has been taken on my side, hopefully none on yours, just some good message board ribbing.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
No reason to check the thread but, there you go with my mom again. I'm sorry she hurt your feelings and gave you herpes, but that has nothing to do with me. If you would stop going to the nursing home to pick up women that all would have been avoided.

BTW no offence has been taken on my side, hopefully none on yours, just some good message board ribbing.

No offense taken at all. I am sure your Mom is out of my league anyway.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I think it is just as popular out here for high school students. one of the small local schools actually has a male and female wrestling team. Both went to state. It just seems like it never makes it out of high school out here.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
you get cauliflower ear because you don't wear your headgear and take a shot to the ear. If you wore your headgear every time you wrestled your chances of getting it are slim to none. But as one poster said the key is draining it right away before the fluid hardens into scar tissue.

Wrestled 18+ years and never had cauliflower ear. It is avoidable just wear headgear. Of course, there are examples of kids that wore head gear and still get it.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Several reasons:

I think a big part of it's popularity is due to there being very little cost to participate. No pads or balls...

All you need is one other person to wrestle with so I think it takes hold in small towns that do not have loads of kids to field an 8 team football league.
Small schools sometimes dont have enough kids who ar ebig enough to truly compete in football. But if they have a few guys for each weight class and a mat to practice on, they can have a wrestling team.
There are a LOT of small towns in Iowa and the Midwest. Even in Pennsylvania, outside of the Pitt and Philly, there are a lot of rural areas in that state.

You can wrestle at almost any size. It is a great sport for kids who are considered "too small" for other sports. There are some might tough 112 lb kids out there and they all have a chance to participate against kids of their own size.

I never thought about it, but being an indoor sport inthe winter is deffinitely a plus. In the south and other warm weather areas they play football and baseball year round. We can't do that in Iowa and most of the midwest.

It is the ultimate individual sport. Your team and coach can be important for preparing you, but once you are out on the mat it is just you and your opponent. Let the toughest person win.

As far as the state tournament, it is grat because it doesn't matter what school you go to or how good your team is. You can be a champion all by yourself. In football or baseball, no one guy can win the championship by himself. In wrestling you can and that is awesome. Your only limits are how hard you want to work yourself.

I personally have a special love for the sport of wrestling. It very much made me the person I am today, and I wasn't even very good at it. I was well on my way to being an obese teen with self confidence issues and a poor outlook on life. I took a chance and joined the wrestling team, lost 45 lbs my first season and reinvented myself. The toughness and comraderie I learned just from surviing grueling wrestling practices gave me so much more than I imagined. I was never great at it. My team was horrible. But I owe a lot to the sport.

For those that don't get it, I understand. Unless you have put in the hard work and gone through it, it just looks like a couple dudes rolling around. I initially had my qualms about putting on a singlet and grapling out there. My advice is to keep an open mind. It is really the ultimate contact sport. One where you can really show how tough and strong you are.

Great post. I will disagree with the cost side of it though. Wrestling is really as expensive as any other sports when you factor in all aspects. Tournament fees, shoes, headgear, singlet, travel to tournament, food for a full day at a Saturday meet, etc. It really is no different than sports like, basketball, baseball, football, etc. My wife called me out on this when our kids started wrestling. I told her it was an inexpensive sport. Two months into it, she pointed out that I was full of crap and she was right. When it came down to it, we spent as much if not more on wrestling than the other sports.

You make a lot of other great points. The biggest being the mental toughness required to wrestle. Almost every other sport requires a full team effort in order to be successful. When the game is over a kid can blame his teammates or coach for the loss. Not so much in wrestling. There is no one to blame but yourself. Your success is reliant on your ability and your willingness to work harder than the next guy. There are not a lot of kids that have that mental toughness. I think the "midwest work ethic" fits right in with wrestling and that is why it is more popular in areas like the Midwest and Pennsylvania. To me it is intersting that you see the selfish attitude rear its head in a sport like basketball which requires "team effort." Yet, in wrestling, you do not see a selfish attitude even though it is more of a individual sport

Also agree with "Unless you have put in the hard work and gone through it, it just looks like a couple dudes rolling around." I got in a few debates over the girls wrestling at state. Most of these debates were with people that were absolutely cluelesss about the sport. They have no idea what it entails. No idea what goes on during a match, have no interest in the sport, but they feel the need to interject their opinion. Frustrating. My parents had never been associated with wrestling until I got interested. They didn't understand it nor did they care for it. Luckily for me they saw that I enjoyed it and they embraced it and grew to love the sport. Fortunately for me they weren't as close minded as some people like the OP.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
wrestled for 12 years and have it in both ears. hated wearing headgear worse then getting cauliflower

Personally, never had an issue with it. Maybe I have the perfect head for headgear as most seemed to fit just fine and I never had any discomfort. I know I had buddies that could never get their headgear to fit correctly and never wore them.