What If ISU had in indoor football stadium?

thetruthhurts

Jan 13, 2010
Prolly wont ever happen but it would tie isu to something cool. Recruiting would prolly be a little better and im sure a lot of people would be on board when the time comes for a new one? thoughts?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Stupid.

That being said I am always jealous of UNI fans sitting nice and warm late in the year...

R1975P

Aug 17, 2009
Irvington
Like I really want to plat on concrete? Ask the 3-4 guys that got beat up at the Super Bowl. Woodson, tore his shoulder up and it looked like no big deal. Is there any data on knee injuries at ISU on grass vs. turf?
With new ways of keeping grass in good shape, I wouldn't want to play on turf.

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
You've all listed crap indoor stadiums. Carrier Dome and the Metrodome? Seriously? The Texans stadium and Lucas Oil are so sweet. They would help recruiting and would offer a sweet atmosphere.

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Like I really want to plat on concrete? Ask the 3-4 guys that got beat up at the Super Bowl. Woodson, tore his shoulder up and it looked like no big deal. Is there any data on knee injuries at ISU on grass vs. turf?
With new ways of keeping grass in good shape, I wouldn't want to play on turf.

University of Phoenix Stadium has real grass brought in and they play indoors.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You've all listed crap indoor stadiums. Carrier Dome and the Metrodome? Seriously? The Texans stadium and Lucas Oil are so sweet. They would help recruiting and would offer a sweet atmosphere.

And how many colleges outside of the SEC and Texas could afford to build a stadium like what you suggest? I'm guessing not many. You're suggesting building a ~$1 billion stadium. We have problems raising $30 million to bowl in the south endzone, for Pete's sake...

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Prolly wont ever happen but it would tie isu to something cool. Recruiting would prolly be a little better and im sure a lot of people would be on board when the time comes for a new one? thoughts?

It will never happen, that is true. But it wouldn't have been a terrible idea back in the 70s. Don't listen to these guys who act like a dome is the work of the devil. It's 2011 and people still talk about "indoor football" like some dude in the 1890s going off about the "horseless carriage." Hate to break it to you visionaries, but indoor football is here to stay.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
University of Phoenix Stadium has real grass brought in and they play indoors.
How much would that cost? If we went indoor, we would have turf, and I hated playing in the UNI dome in HS. It was like playing on concrete, you couldn't get any traction to plant and move, much less actually apply force to direct the opposing team. It was a nightmare.

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
And how many colleges outside of the SEC and Texas could afford to build a stadium like what you suggest? I'm guessing not many. You're suggesting building a ~$1 billion stadium. We have problems raising $30 million to bowl in the south endzone, for Pete's sake...

I know, it's not realistic. I'm just saying there are nicer indoors out there.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of my favorite parts of gameday is walking into the stadium from the concourse at the 50-yard line and seeing the field laid out in front of me. It still makes me giddy to see the turf at JTS every Saturday because it's always in such great shape. I think we have one of the best playing surfaces, from a visual standpoint, in all of college football. I really would be sad if that ever went away.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
How much would that cost? If we went indoor, we would have turf, and I hated playing in the UNI dome in HS. It was like playing on concrete, you couldn't get any traction to plant and move, much less actually apply force to direct the opposing team. It was a nightmare.

Agreed, playing on old school turf not field turf is a nightmare.

I had the unfortunate experience of playing in the Metrodome three different times in college. The turf was bad and I have never felt more beat up after a game than those three.

Another thing most people don't realize is that for the most part most of us felt like we got tired easier in the dome. It's hard enough to breathe as it is with full gear on now take that inside to stuffy dead air. It always took me halfway through pre-game to not feel like i was suffocating playing there. I would sweat twice as much in there and at the end of the games felt like I couldn't stand. I don't know if it was just a mental thing for us but I would say almost all of us always felt like crap after playing in that place. You definitely didn't bounce back as fast as normal. We never really had any bad injuries but the Sunday no pads walk through practice and weight sessions were almost worthless after the dome games due to no one had even come close from recovering from the game.

As I said earlier really no science behind my points here but just the observations of how i and my teammates felt after those games as compared to the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
But will this indoor stadium increase capacity? If it does, terrible idea because it will always look empty.

Reactions: SenorCy