BASKETBALL RECRUITING: Former MSU G Korie Lucious to visit this weekend

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I would be 100% on board with this even though I'm not sold on him as a player.

Nobody has gone on the record about this. I'm not sure that they will either.

This is an interesting quote form Korie's mom though that she gave SpartanNation.com

"Korie will finish the semester at Michigan State and Coach Izzo has said he will help Korie find a new school."

If Izzo is helping him along, it couldn't have been THAT bad. Izzo helped Chris Allen land in Ames. Is he behind this one too? Who knows? I think that is a significant quote though.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I guess I would say I'm oppossed to this. Its not because of lucious but because it doesn't make sense scholarship wise. You give a guy 2 years on scholarship with one year to play and in that year we should have 4 pretty solid gaurds. I just don't know if its worth it unless you think he is a drastic upgrade over someone else

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I'm about done with this transfer-in thing too. I'd rather us go out there and take fliers on high school kids that may not pan out. Come on, coach...we've been doing pretty well the last 5 years with our current system. Why would you want to go out and take 40% of Michigan State's final four team from last year?! We are Iowa State! Kids are lining up to play here!

Exactly, this is much preferable to Mcdermott's recruiting where we were always "building for the future", but the future never came or even got any closer.

The best thing you can do to build a basketball program is to Win, and Win Now! That is how you change the momentum, and how you convince top high school players to sign with your program.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i like the potential of our recruiting class, but its hard to go from last to first in the b12 with top100-200 caliber recruits. if you continue to lose those first few years, its tough to get kids to stick it out, nevermind recruiting better talent that wants to play in the dance every year.

even if its just a year, if lucious helps get us (keep us?) in the ncaa tourney, that can be HUGE for future recruiting.

college basketball is a one-season sport - anything can happen.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's not all about the shooting stats when it comes to PG's. Lucious has a better A/TO ratio than DG this year. I'll take that anyday of the week.

Of course it's not. DG's shooting percentage is pretty bad this year too and you will never hear me complain about it because he's doing what he needs to do.

Lucious' is freaking abysmal however.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Dont get me wrong; I would beyond LOVE having Lucious as a PG, even if just for one year. But depending on how this all plays out, right now there is the possibility that ISU will have to tell someone, weather it is a current or incoming player, that they are no longer in need of him. I'm just afraid that this could make ISU look very negative, and could be used against them on the recruiting trail.

Now if there is already someone that Fred knows wont be here next year, or they are making Lucious pay his own way next year, I am on board with this 100%. If ISU has to boot somebody, I become less on board.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
It's so refreshing to have a coach who actually understands what it takes to win at this level.

I love you, Freddy.

Reactions: AlleyAddict

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
ISU is absolutely not in a position to turn down players of this talent level if we have a shot at getting them, even if it is for only one year. Great job Fred and Co.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I guess I would say I'm oppossed to this. Its not because of lucious but because it doesn't make sense scholarship wise. You give a guy 2 years on scholarship with one year to play and in that year we should have 4 pretty solid gaurds. I just don't know if its worth it unless you think he is a drastic upgrade over someone else

I think Mcgee will be a SG in '12. Or to put it better, I think Mcgee's best position would be SG, if he had a better PG playing next to him (his JC numbers and scouting reports remind me of Michael Nurse).

Lucious is a pure PG, he may not score a lot but has an excellent A/TO ratio. Then the question is, take the known commodity of Lucious or count on Odunsi or Sledge to start at PG as a sophomore? If Mcgee primarily plays the point in '12, we will only have Babb at SG, and then Odunsi filling in as well.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
You and all of your "do it the right way" buddies in the Cyclone fanbase need to come to grips with the fact that the game as played in the power conferences...which we happen to be in right now...is not about recruiting a bunch of kids that you hope to redshirt and have around for 5 years while they learn the system.

Jeesh!

Are you always this abrasive and belligerent or is this just a good day for you?

Show me the list of the programs from the power conferences in the Top 25 that have rosters that are built with, and dominated by, a bunch of 4 year players.

Pittsburgh and Wisconsin come to mind off the top of my head. Of course, you can also make the argument that both of those teams underacheive consistently in the NCAA tournament.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
ISU is absolutely not in a position to turn down players of this talent level if we have a shot at getting them, even if it is for only one year. Great job Fred and Co.
Exactly -- how often can you get a player with final four experience -- twice!!!!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'll take a proven talent anyday, this is where someone needs to post the "Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush" commercial. Coaches are too competitive to turn down proven talent.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i like FH's strategy as a "1-year nba reputation rehabilitator." come play for FH, keep your nose clean, you get a positive recommendation to FH's huge nba rolodex. mess up, and kiss your nba dreams goodbye. i like the leverage.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'll take a proven talent anyday, this is where someone needs to post the "Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush" commercial. Coaches are too competitive to turn down proven talent.

Or maybe this.
129207345418651779.jpg

Reactions: heitclone

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Next year I think for guards we start

McGee, Allen, Scotty

in 2012

Lucious, McGee, Babb
Mcgee, Allen, Scott, Booker, White 11-12
Lucious, Mcgee, Babb, Booker, White 12-13
Those are some nice starting lineups, hopefully everything works out so this can happen.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Mcgee, Allen, Scott, Booker, White 11-12
Lucious, Mcgee, Babb, Booker, White 12-13
Those are some nice starting lineups, hopefully everything works out so this can happen.
No way Booker starts over Ejim IMO. If Booker does get a start, pretty sure Ejim plays 3 over scotty.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
I love how people on here are so critical of a move to bring in a solid basketball player from a powerhouse program when we've had terrible basketball here for the past 5 years. I think some people forget who we are. Stop complaining all the time and just get behind the program, CFH has brought this program further in half a year than any of us could have hoped. Just be happy we can bring in good talent again and shut up.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
No way Booker starts over Ejim IMO. If Booker does get a start, pretty sure Ejim plays 3 over scotty.
I'm not so high on Ejim but I do think he will start/play more minutes than Booker in some cases depending on the matchup.

Help Support Us

Become a patron