Redshirts & Underclassmen - Who will make an impact??

nb06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2007
Can someone who knows more than me give us a report on how the Scout-teamers, Redshirts, and Freshmen are progressing??

I know Barnett has made strides on the scout team.

Any news about others who may contribute next year??

Thanks!!!

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think for us to have sucess it has to be on the defensive side, we lost a three of our main rotating safeties and in any lose the primary cause lack of depth in the front 7. I look for Ronny Nelson (I have had a negative view about him) to step in Parker's spot. George, Morgan at LB and Givens, Mattison, Bennett and Broomfield at safeties. DL is scary to me, we need step-up from Black, woods, Jensen or Laing, actually if we land Green that would help a ton.......

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Im hoping there are about 5 WRs who are going to be superstars just waiting ot be unredshirted. Unfortunately, I dont think that is the case.

How do you know if we need a step up from Jensen? He redshirted. Laing was an adequate back up.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Farniok should be a fine lineman by the time he's done, and Nelson should get some serious time.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I hope Steele wows some people this spring. At any rate, the competition should be fierce. I'll be quite pessimistic about the season if Tiller wins out. Hope I'm wrong, though.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Im hoping there are about 5 WRs who are going to be superstars just waiting ot be unredshirted. Unfortunately, I dont think that is the case.

How do you know if we need a step up from Jensen? He redshirted. Laing was an adequate back up.
Adequate, really??? I am just saying that I want someone to step up in the DL, and I was naming all of the options and who we need to step up if they can. Laing was all right but honestly, we need more then that.....

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Adequate, really??? I am just saying that I want someone to step up in the DL, and I was naming all of the options and who we need to step up if they can. Laing was all right but honestly, we need more then that.....

It could be Jensen, McDonough, Woods, Nelson, Neal, Black, hell pretty much anyone. I am going to go on record saying there will be surprise success from at least one defensive lineman this year.

I know Nelson will be the popular pick and them perhaps some linemen and a couple of the LBers, but I am going to go with one person I don't think we talk about enough and that's Duran Hollis. I just think he will provide something a little different and will be very important to us.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
I'm hoping the D-Line will be like the linebackers of last year, everyone thought they were going to be terrible and they turned out to be the strong point.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Laing was playing better than McDonough towards the end of the year. I would pencil him into the starting lineup next to Rump. Also if Nelson is not a step up from Parker, I will be very disapointed. UNI had better DEs than Parker.

We've heard that Rhoads is pretty excited about the Oline that redshirted. I don't know how much we can rely on them yet. We've also heard that Hollis was as good as Shontrelle coming our of 2 a days. They weren't sure on which one they wanted to redshirt, but I think that Shontrelle being able to return kicks, and being a better reciever got him some playing time this year. Recievers we had Chris Young that I will hope could break in to the starting lineup. I also am excited to see Jarvis West returning kicks.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
does anyone know who our scout team players of the yr were? Also why didnt Gary get on the field last year, he had 4 yrs to play 4. Because he redshirted his only yr of Juco, was he just not ready? i thought he would of maybe seen sp. teams.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
does anyone know who our scout team players of the yr were? Also why didnt Gary get on the field last year, he had 4 yrs to play 4. Because he redshirted his only yr of Juco, was he just not ready? i thought he would of maybe seen sp. teams.

I believe Gary did play a little towards the end of the year on special teams. If guys like Gary, James White, Chris Young do not work out at their respective positions, I really hope they get looked at on defense. All three have too much speed and athleticism for a program like ours to be sitting on the bench. If I recall I think Gary actually was a decent safety in HS.

Same goes with Tiller. I'm not writing him off near as much as other people, but if we find a clear #1 and a quality backup not named Tiller, I hope he can make a good transition to WR, if willing.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that Jarvis West is going to have a surprising year. I also look for CJ Morgan to play a lot. A surprising thing that most people don't realize: ISU had FOUR JUCO transfers redshirting this past year. I'd expect to hear from all four...otherwise they wouldn't have been worth redshirting.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I think that Jarvis West is going to have a surprising year. I also look for CJ Morgan to play a lot. A surprising thing that most people don't realize: ISU had FOUR JUCO transfers redshirting this past year. I'd expect to hear from all four...otherwise they wouldn't have been worth redshirting.

i hope this is true with the jucos, but if they could of helped us this past yr, and they didnt play and we missed a bowl game by 1 pt (husker)? weird. i can see o-line, and nelson didnt qualify, and safety was going to be depleted this coming yr graduating 3 players/starters, and wr we all thought we would be fine and had what we thought were 3 jr. studs.........i dont know,i guess i will just trust the coaches