Time for SR Defensive Players to Step Up

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
Coming into the season, the big concern was our youth on defense. However, we all assumed that our proven commodities of Curvey, Moorehead and Jackson would play solid FB until the rest of the team came along. Unfortunately, despite improving defensive play out of the underclassmen, namely Bowen, Rubin, Banks, Carper (in the Iowa game), and Parker (although he took a step back against Iowa), our Seniors are not showing the play to get this defense to a top 40-50 level.

So far, Curvey and Moorehead have made very few plays and have failed to put pressure on the QB. That is a big reason our pass efficiency defense has fallen from 20th last year to 99th so far this year. So far, every QB has had ample time to sit back and pick apart the secondary. Even though Leaders didn't have many sacks, his harassment and push in the middle of the D-line definitely benefitted the DB's. These two need to be our playmakers on the D-line and if they don't improve in a hurry, we better start blitzing a lot more and trust that our DB's can defend man-up.

That takes me to Jackson, a player that many draft pubs have as a top 5 Sr cornerback. Against Iowa, he definitely did not play like it. Other than his kick return and one tackle on a WR screen in the 1st Quarter, his play was not good and his poor play was a part of two of Iowa's TD drives. On their first TD drive at the end of the 1st half, he sat back on 2nd and 14 against a true freshman (Douglas) and let him get a first down on a WR screen (i.e. Tate not having to throw downfield) without putting up any aggressive effort on the play. If he plays it correctly, at most it is a 5 yard gain and Iowa has a 3rd and 9. Iowa did not convert a third-down in the first half.
On Iowa's first TD in the second half, he bit on a pump fake and allowed Douglas behind him for a 18 yard gain. The worst part of the play was that Carper had a good angle on the flat play that Tate pumped and if Jackson stays in his zone and with Douglas, he probably has an easy pick. Finally, on Moeaki's TD, Jackson had him man-to-man and completely bit on a single jab step and let Moeaki get behind him for the easy TD. Generally, your top DB who is a SR and a projected 1st day draft pick should not get burned so easily by a 2nd team TE. If he jams Moeaki off the line and then runs with him, the play is disrupted and Iowa is forced to kick a FG since it was 3rd and 1 at the time. We need Jackson to take the roll that Hobbs played so well and that Hicks did a good job following up last year. If he can make teams fear throwing to his side, not only will the D steadily improve, but he can guarantee himself some NFL $$$. I look forward to seeing how he does in Texas against better WR's but a much less experienced QB.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I agree with you for the most part, but to me, the main differece between the D last year vs. this year is the absence of big plays. How many huge, game changing plays did the d make last year. Moser stripping people, greedy picking of passes, Berryman with constant pressure, Dobbins taking down anything he gets his hands on. The scheme of the D is the same , it's just missing some playmakers.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I am gonna take a guess that Curvey is getting a lot of the o-line pressure that Berryman took off him last year. Why do you think Parker got those sacks? The other team was a lot more worried about ISU's proven commodities. That's just my take on it.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
I agree with you for the most part, but to me, the main differece between the D last year vs. this year is the absence of big plays. How many huge, game changing plays did the d make last year. Moser stripping people, greedy picking of passes, Berryman with constant pressure, Dobbins taking down anything he gets his hands on. The scheme of the D is the same , it's just missing some playmakers.

That is my point - as SR leaders, these guys are supposed to be the playmakers and leaders and thus far, they haven't made those game changing plays. How many games did Hobbs intercept a pass on the final drive to secure the victory or come up with a blocked kick or interception to change momentum (N. Ill, Neb, Miami (Oh), CU). Same goes for the players you mentioned. Throughout his career, Jackson seems to get better as the year progresses and our defense gets more aggressive. With the schedule, we can't wait until mid-October for the play to improve, it needs to occur this week. One interesting point, although Curvey has 2.5 sacks, he is behind Tuba on tackles. I really do believe these guys will have big plays, but we need them to have consistent top-level play to get to where we all want to be - the Big 12 Championship game.

ojnab_bob

Aug 25, 2006
No real arguments to your points, but:

In Curvey's defense, he is consistently getting double-teamed, which explains why our DEs are getting 1-on-1 pass blocking.

In Jackson's defense, he is forced to play 10-15 yards off the WR in our oft-questioned "very soft zone" ideology. I leave it to others as to whether this strategy has been successful this year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think more opposing QB's are going after Singleton and not throwing towards Jackson as much.

I've got nothing to go on there other than my sketchy memory...but I'll watch it closer this weekend.

I'd love to see Jackson pick one off and go the other way with it for 6!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I noticed that Curvey's name wasn't mentioned much on the loudspeakers at JTS the first 2 games and wondered why...then I watched closely during the Iowa game and he basically gets at double-teamed every single play. That has to be frustrating for him. I hope Parker can step up and take some of that pressure off but until he puts on more weight and gets more experience, I don't see that happening. Did anyone hear if he is alright after taking that monster hit Saturday?

And I HATE this 10-15 yard cushion zone BS. Our corners are 10-15 yards in front of the opposing receivers before the QB even snaps the ball! This is the reason we have made every QB who has faced us look like a Heisman Trophy Finalist...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yep, without a push up the middle, the opponent qb feels more comfortable...like 39 for 48 comfortable. Masybe we need to get out of vanilla I scream and go multi chocolate mint critics choice by switching dlinemen around and do more stunting. New tricks for old dogs? If these same teams like UNLV and Toledo have dud performances against other opponents, we must be doing something too obvious.
New logo name: "ISU Too Obvious on Defense and Too Predictable on Offense Clones."

If you look at Kansas-Toledo stats, the Rockets were squashed on the statistics yet still found a way to run because the Kansas qb was injured near the end.