Pontiac, 84, Dies of Indifference

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
For as bad as a rep a lot of American Cars get, my wife owned a Grand Prix for years and it was one of the most reliable cars we'd ever had. I was always amazed at all the little gadgets pontiac put in their cars.

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
I've owned 3 Pontiacs, and have nothing but good things to say for each one. My 2004 GP was my favorite. I have an '08 Impala and wish I had got another GP at the time. The GP is a better car than the Imapala. Miss the 2800 V6 also. Most reliable motor GM ever built. The 2.9 with fuel management I have the Impala gets less gas milage than the 2.8 without it in the GP. I hate the looks of the Buicks, especialy the front grille area. So I am a man without a car I like. I would rather they eliminated Buick instead of Pontiac.

Reactions: JBone84

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Love my 2008 Torrent...would have liked GM to kill Buick and keep Pontiac as rbrook said. But, then I wouldn't want the old people who like Buicks to buy Pontiacs...

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I hated my 91 Grand Am. It rusted out, and the transmission grenaded. Plus the interior and exterior design was horrible. Good riddance. The only redeeming quality was that "Low Rider" came on the radio as I drove to the dealership to trade it in.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'll take the regal for a td based on positive reviews for performance

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Pontiac long since has lost its macho identity. It started with the 1976 LeMans, nicknamed "Lemon" for good reason -- it was unreliable, rusted easily, and constantly nickel and dimed you to death being in the shop so much. The only model to receive any frequent positive reviews from 1976 through the nineties was the Firebird as all the other models went down the toilet. Too many customers lost faith in the brand to save it.

Buick, however has been, and still is a reliable, quality car brand. The styling is almost never flashy, but many racers won with Buick engines in their cars over the years. Buicks are reliable, well built vehicles whose ride can only be surpassed by the best of the luxury brands. My favorite car was a 1999 Buick Century -- reliable, smooth riding and averaged over 27 mpg for a full-sized car. Unfortunately, my Buick was totaled in a parking accident and I replaced it with a 2000 Mercury Sable station wagon. My Buick was parked curbside in front of my house when a pick-up truck sped around the corner and rear-ended the car. The trunk was pushed in a good three and a half feet and the car was moved at least 85 feet. So sad.
I still miss my Buick.:sad:

Last edited:
Reactions: Freebird

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
We have an '05 GP and have had many problems and still have two problems that will need to be fixed in the near future (tranny & heater core - both expensive to fix). I can't say I would've ever bought another Pontiac even if they kept making them.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We have an '05 GP and have had many problems and still have two problems that will need to be fixed in the near future (tranny & heater core - both expensive to fix). I can't say I would've ever bought another Pontiac even if they kept making them.

I also own an '05 GP, and haven't had the same problems you have had. The only problems I have had was a failed O2 sensor and a couple of seat problems, all of which failed under warranty. The issue that I have right now, though, is all four of my rims have corroded and are leaking air. It sucks that I have to refill my tires (at least) once a week now.

So yeah, I have had some issues, but 70,000+ miles and nothing to the extent that makes me question whether I purchased a sound car or not.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I liked the G8. I almost bought one a couple years back. I liked the sound and power. If it had an AWD offering, I would have been sold. Granted, the G8 and GTO are repackaged Aussie cars from Holden, but still.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The two low mileage Pontiacs that I owned in my college and high school years made me wonder if they had the cheapest and shottiest electrical and trim out of any cars made, ever.
I always has power windows stop working, elec defrost stop working, etc.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I liked the G8. I almost bought one a couple years back. I liked the sound and power. If it had an AWD offering, I would have been sold. Granted, the G8 and GTO are repackaged Aussie cars from Holden, but still.

Well, considering the Holden that the GTO was repackaged off of in the early 2000s was repackaged off of the GTO back in the 1960s and 1970s in the first place, I'd say the repackaging was appropriate...

Help Support Us

Become a patron