Sports bar-Ames

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I'm going to be in Ames Thursday night with a co-worker who is a big Vikings fan. I've always been a Wallaby's guy, but we're staying at the Memorial Union and I don't feel like driving or taking Cyride. With that in mind, what would you locals/students/recent grads recommend for a good place to watch the Vikes/Saints game in the Campustown area? Legends is decent enough but I'm not wild about the food. I've never been to Es Tas. How would that be? Anywhere else I should know about?

Any recommendations are appreciated. It sucks getting old enough that I now need bar help in my favorite town.......I used to be a pretty good authority on the subject.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Welch Ave Station. Get a pizza and a pitcher.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Other than the two you mentioned, there is Welch Ave. Station. I can't really think of any others...

HerkyKiller

Aug 14, 2010
Ames
I'm thinking about watching the game at Es Tas. They are a CF sponsor and the owner is a HUGE Vikings fan. If you go anywhere in Campustown, that's where I'd go.

I like this bar for drinking a lot, but I like Welch ave station for watching games.

Es tas is my favorite bar otherwise.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Welch Ave is one of the few, if not the only, bar in Campustown that has the same name and layout as when I was in school. That says a lot for them.

We're hoping to to get to town around 5:30 or 6:00 and don't think the game kicks off until 7 or 7:30. We'll probably get checked into our hotel then bar hop a little. He can watch wherever he wants. I'll be happy just to be "home" again.