Tailgate school busses

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
Just heard a guy on the radio talking about getting nailed by DOT commercial vehicle enforcement (the blue cars) for improper vehicle license and drivers license on a RAGBRI support bus. Seems they say you must have a commercial plate that covers the full GVWR of the bus and a commercial drivers license. Several people were ticketed between Manchester and Dubuque. I don't have a bus, but it appears there may be a general misunderstanding of the law in some of our county courthouses. If you have a tailgating bus you might want to look into it. Fines were apparently running between 600 and 900$.

Turfman77

Nov 14, 2006
Ankeny
When we registered ours we were told that it could be licensed as an RV, so thats what we did. That was in Polk County.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
we registered ours as an RV as well - seems to be the way to go if you can make the mods and find an insurance carrier (the most difficult part).

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
We put a portable toilet in the corner of ours, that lets us register it as an RV.

There were other aspects of it as well but I remember helping dad get it set up 15 or so years ago and that was the big kicker was that it needed a toilet to be listed as an RV.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
We put a portable toilet in the corner of ours, that lets us register it as an RV.

There were other aspects of it as well but I remember helping dad get it set up 15 or so years ago and that was the big kicker was that it needed a toilet to be listed as an RV.

we talked about this before in another thread, but there are 7 or 8 items and it needs like a minimum of 4 or 5 of them to qualify.

toilet facilities is one of them.
a sink, ability to hook to external power, ... there are a bunch of them but its slipping my mind.

oh, and some counties register it a lot easier than others

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
I have been looking for that thread but can't find it. If somebody finds it can they post it here?

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
we talked about this before in another thread, but there are 7 or 8 items and it needs like a minimum of 4 or 5 of them to qualify.

toilet facilities is one of them.
a sink, ability to hook to external power, ... there are a bunch of them but its slipping my mind.

oh, and some counties register it a lot easier than others

I had to go through this process a couple years ago. The ones I remember.

1)sleeping area
2)toilet
3)running water/potable water tank and drainage
4)cooking facilities
5)heating/cooling
6)not sure
7)not sure
8)not sure

clonebacker

Apr 18, 2006
The link below has the requirements in it. The cost is prohibitive if you have to go commercial truck, CDL and commercial insurance. If you have "portable" toilet you are likely in violation, btw. We looked at a CyRide bus last year, it is cheaper to install the requirements than to operate under the commercial regs.

Also note the allowances for beverages and the differences.

I have been looking for that thread but can't find it. If somebody finds it can they post it here?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
The link below has the requirements in it. The cost is prohibitive if you have to go commercial truck, CDL and commercial insurance. If you have "portable" toilet you are likely in violation, btw. We looked at a CyRide bus last year, it is cheaper to install the requirements than to operate under the commercial regs.

Also note the allowances for beverages and the differences.
You forgot to include the link.

EDIT: Holy cow, you've been a member since April 2006, and this is your third post?