Angels trade for Haren

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
Niiiiiice...... a lot of talk out here about whether the Halos were going to be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline. It looks like they are going to hang tough, pair Haren up with Weaver to form a very strong 1-2 at the top of the rotation, and cross their fingers that Morales comes back strong enough to make some noise in Sep/Oct.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Not a great return for Arizona, but I think Joe Saunders could be relatively effective in the NL.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
My assumption with this trade is that the PTBNL is a significant piece, either someone who is on the DL or someone recently drafted/signed(aka Mike Trout?). Otherwise this move doesn't make sense at all. Yes they get salary relief but Dan Haren is signed below market value for the next 2 seasons and Joe Saunders is actually likely to make 6-7 million in arbitration next year.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
thank god someone besides the yankees got the 2 of the top pitchers on the trading block this year

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
My assumption with this trade is that the PTBNL is a significant piece, either someone who is on the DL or someone recently drafted/signed(aka Mike Trout?). Otherwise this move doesn't make sense at all. Yes they get salary relief but Dan Haren is signed below market value for the next 2 seasons and Joe Saunders is actually likely to make 6-7 million in arbitration next year.

Rotoworld is saying that the PTBNL is Tyler Skaggs. Here's what the site said:

"Angels pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs is going to be the player to be named later sent to the Diamondbacks in the Dan Haren trade, reports Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.

The Angels, according to Piecoro, were reluctant to include him, but it seems like the least they could do after fleecing Arizona for Haren. Skaggs was Los Angeles' eighth-best prospect heading into the season, according to Baseball America. The 40th overall pick of the 2009 draft is tall and projectable and looks at this point like a future mid-rotation pitcher. The 18-year-old is 8-4 with a 3.61 ERA in 82.1 innings for Single-A Cedar Rapids this year."

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Dan Haren has played like crap for most of this year. Maybe a change of scenery will help like it often does, until they get lazy again.

Reactions: Wesley

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Dan Haren has played like crap for most of this year. Maybe a change of scenery will help like it often does, until they get lazy again.

His BAIBIP and HR/per FB% were up yet he hadn't seen any increase in LD%. I'm pretty sure a fair amount of bad luck was involved.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

I sure hope they don't give up Trout. That would be crazy. He's a stud.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I sure hope they don't give up Trout. That would be crazy. He's a stud.

Haren should be worth more than Cliff Lee, thus you would expect 1 big piece and I'm not sure the Angels have given up that. Though not as dominant as Lee, Haren is younger, has a team friendly, cost controlled contract for at least the next 2 years(with an option for 2013 if I'm not mistaken). Yes he's had some minor struggles this season but he has a solid basis as great pitcher. If all the ptbnl is your typical unimportant prospect I feel the Angels have got a tremendous steal in this trade.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
As a DBacks fan I hate the idea of trading Haren. I have no problem with dumping some players (Kelly Johnson, Adam Laroche, Stephen Drew, one of their catchers, ...), but I don't understand trading a relatively young pitcher with two more years on his contract at a low rate. Assuming B. Webb doesn't stick around AZ (even if he's anywhere near the pitcher he was), they're building the entire pitching staff from scratch.

Help Support Us

Become a patron