MU Chancellor reaching out to Texas

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
MU chancellor wants to talk to Texas president on heels of Colorado move

By MIKE DEARMOND

The Kansas City Star

COLUMBIA | Within moments of the Pac-10 Conference and Colorado confirming the Buffaloes will depart the Big 12 for the West Coast conference, Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton said he had placed a call to Bill Powers of Texas, chairman of the Big 12‘s Board of Directors.
“I’m going to chat with him about the whole thing,†Deaton said, “but I haven’t had a chance to talk to him. Chat with him about the implications of that.â€
That news came on the heels of a Missouri curator -- Warren K. Erdman of Kansas City -- telling The Star that he believed there was no change in what he was informed of a week ago, that Missouri had not received an invitation to apply to the Big Ten Conference for membership.
And with Nebraska anticipated to announce plans to join the Big Ten as early as Friday, Deaton was asked about what Erdman agreed was “the elephant in the room†at these two-day meetings of the MU system Board of Curators at the Reynolds Alumni Center in Columbia.
Deaton did not refute Erdman’s statements and did say that he anticipated the curators would be briefed on the status of Missouri’s current situation.
“Conference alignment," he said, would be a “curators’ decision.â€
If both Colorado and Nebraska leave the Big 12, and a reported possible move is made of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State joining Colorado in leaving for the Pac-10, the demise of the Big 12 Conference would seem to be a foregone conclusion.
Asked about that directly, Deaton said: “Anything could happen. We’re working hard to hang together.â€
Deaton, when asked directly if he anticipated Missouri staying in the Big 12 or going to the Big Ten, said: “We’re proud members of the Big 12 and we’ll leave it right there.â€
As far as the Board of Curators, or Deaton, or MU systems president Gary Forsee making a more expansive public statement about the situation, possibly Friday, Deaton said:
“I have no expectations there. That would be up to the board and President Forsee.â€

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/10/2006885/mu-ch ancellor-wants-to-talk-to.html#ixzz0qTYkmtK9

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
"I'm sorry, Chancellor Deaton, but President Powers is busy in a meeting, and won't be available to speak to you until Hell freezes over."

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
"I'm sorry, Bevo. I didn't mean all those awful things I said about you and your momma. Your horns are very beautiful. May I touch them?"

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I would think if texas really cared, at this point no one else would leave and we'd just have OU and OSU to the north to replace NU/CU, and grab 2 more southern teams

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Missouri is going to come out of this thing looking more and more like fools.

Funny, before I read your post I had the vision of a poker game being played where Mizzou finally shows their hand and it's all Jokers.

Way to shoot yourself in the d!5k Mizzou.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Ya I find it funny this whole thing started in Missouri with KC reporting the offers of five schools.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I would think if texas really cared, at this point no one else would leave and we'd just have OU and OSU to the north to replace NU/CU, and grab 2 more southern teams

wow, what a soap opera....Missouri really looks foolish

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Thatd be a bad move. We'd be losing 2 states worth of tv audience and adding none. IF the big 12 stayed together it needs to grow the conference footprint somehow to make up for losing CU\NU.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Mizzou, welcome to the end of the world of college athletics as we have seen it for a few months.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
The MU Chancellor says, "So Deloss, have you had enough yet? Don't you think it's time to say uncle before this gets way out of hand?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Is there a possibility that EIU is still mad at Mizzou for ditching the game last season (if I'm not mistaken) ?