Culver could push for ISU to Big Ten

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree for the most part. I know a lot of people from my high school who were die-hard hawk fans, end up going to Keg/Kirkwood then transfer to Iowa (or just get a degree from Kirkwood) I have friends who went to Iowa State then transferred to Iowa just so they could party. On the other hand though, I know some Iowa fans that go to Iowa and are going for Nursing or Med. However most of the people I know that go to Iowa and are incredibly smart are absolutely neutral on sports, or are just bandwagoners for UofI because Iowa is winning. Something I've noticed lately about ISU that I really like though, is that we're loyal AND intelligent.

That said. I never got a college degree because for what I want to do/am doing (Web Design and Development) a degree isn't needed, only a good portfolio.

Why? As a freshman/sophomore, I found it was way, way more fun to go to a house party and get wasted for $5 than to drop $50 at a bar.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yes, Iowa is indeed lucky to have been a member of the Big 10 for 111 years now. Just going by the way the conference is ran, it's not crazy to think that Iowa has more "pull" in the Big 10 than ISU had in the Big 12.

If you want to go on adademics alone, NW should have the biggest clout of any school in the conference.

You know that if Iowa was in the Big 12 and ISU in the Big 10, they'd be in big, big trouble right now, don't you?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
How about the pull that a guy like Gene Smith at Ohio State has? It isn't like they are too worried about their athletic budget as it stands right now at Ohio State. Can he put in a good word for ISU with the president of Ohio State?

Good point. It seems that ISU has some connections within the Big 10. Is it wrong to also pray for some divine intervention?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
You know that if Iowa was in the Big 12 and ISU in the Big 10, they'd be in big, big trouble right now, don't you?

I don't know. I know that the Big 10 run much better than the Big 12 ever was; it just seems like everyone would be given equal voice. In the case of the Big 12, everyone knows who's running the show - the AD at Texas. In the Big 10, Jim Delany is running things.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Good point. It seems that ISU has some connections within the Big 10. Is it wrong to also pray for some divine intervention?

Hell no. We are going to need all of the help that we can get. Divine intervention, friends in high places in the Big 10/11... whatever it takes so that ISU doesn't get left out in the cold.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I think God's made it pretty sure he hates ISU. Either that, or we're a modern day story of Job, a la Stephen Baldwin.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

ISU certainly would be a lot stronger (athletically and academically) and Iowa would be weaker. Does Fry still go to Iowa? They would have the advantage of being in the more populated half of the state, which was big back in the day.

Last edited:

mksmith2

Apr 30, 2010
Ames, IA
Why? As a freshman/sophomore, I found it was way, way more fun to go to a house party and get wasted for $5 than to drop $50 at a bar.

Agreed, for most of them it was because they liked the party scene at IC more (for whatever reason. A house party is a house party to me.) However, I haven't spent 50 dollars at a bar ever, the only times I've ever come close were when it was for a friends birthday. (3 Wise Men galore :biggrin: )

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't know. I know that the Big 10 run much better than the Big 12 ever was; it just seems like everyone would be given equal voice. In the case of the Big 12, everyone knows who's running the show - the AD at Texas. In the Big 10, Jim Delany is running things.

I don't think that there's any doubt that the Big 10 is much better run. Look around.

I still wonder how Michigan and OSU ever bought into equal revenue sharing. Apparently they're run by people how are much more savvy, in terms of long term thinking than the folks at Texas. Then again, after visiting that State, this doesn't surprise me AT ALL.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I don't know. I know that the Big 10 run much better than the Big 12 ever was; it just seems like everyone would be given equal voice. In the case of the Big 12, everyone knows who's running the show - the AD at Texas. In the Big 10, the Big 10 Network and greed are running things.

Fixed that for you.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Governor Chet must have been reading my posts for the last 3 days (LOL). God love him. Less than a 5% chance he can make any difference but all I ever asked for out of our elected officials, the Board of Regents, Athletic Director, and University President is effort. Governor Culver is putting forth effort.

The Big Lug just won my vote!!!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

If the Big 12 had the same conception date as the Big 10, there would have been no Big 10 after 1996.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I don't think that there's any doubt that the Big 10 is much better run. Look around.

I still wonder how Michigan and OSU ever bought into equal revenue sharing. Apparently they're run by people how are much more savvy, in terms of long term thinking than the folks at Texas. Then again, after visiting that State, this doesn't surprise me AT ALL.

Which gets back to the equal voice thing.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I think God's made it pretty sure he hates ISU. Either that, or we're a modern day story of Job, a la Stephen Baldwin.
Maybe we're due....after all of these years of the continual kick to the stones, we get our reward weathering all of the storms we've been through......A person once told me, "a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then".....

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe we're due....after all of these years of the continual kick to the stones, we get our reward weathering all of the storms we've been through......A person once told me, "a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then".....

I'm just afraid that nut could be an MWC title :skeptical:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Governor Chet must have been reading my posts for the last 3 days (LOL). God love him. Less than a 5% chance he can make any difference but all I ever asked for out of our elected officials, the Board of Regents, Athletic Director, and University President is effort. Governor Culver is putting forth effort.

The Big Lug just won my vote!!!

Careful, who is to say that he did not wait until after the invites had been sent out, and this is just a pathetic PR move.
I'll wait until we see some concrete proof that the state of Iowa has done anything, before I get excited. Of course this would require a decent local media, which central Iowa is lacking...

ozhawk

May 3, 2010
How politically active are tavern-Hawks anyways?

Interesting..a cyclone being smug especially now when Eulogies are being written.

I would be willing to bet that the number of non-college educated Iowa donors outnumbers the the total of ISU graduate donors. Its called building a fan base. Which is doesn't seem to work at Iowa State. You can't be fan unless you graduated from ISU. Nice economic principle.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron