A little dating advice...

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I perfectly understand this tactic but me, personally, cannot be mean! It's not in me to do so, it was the way I was raised!

Understand, how bout this, set date, and then dont talk to her until date. Maybe you weird them out between the two? Say weird things ect? I find that if I stfu I come out a lot better.

Sy4Cy

Sep 1, 2009
The break ups thread got me to thinking about my own dating scene and made me realize that I have never had a serious relationship. Some say that's a blessing in itself (mainly my older brother).

Well my only real GF was back at CR Washington in the spring prior to graduating in 07. We started as a fling but then actually started dating throughout the summer. Well just like everyone else in my class she attended Iowa and I was at ISU, she wanted to try it out and I agreed but a few weeks into the school year as freshman she became a Chi Omega at Iowa and I figured she was going to cheat on me anyway so I broke it off. This is my only real dating experience.

I'm no stranger to the one night stands throughout my years at ISU so it's not like I'm socially awkward, in fact being from CR I feel like I'm way more social than most at ISU. But I'm done with one night stands, I'm getting to the point where I want a GF but I haven't tried in so long or had much dating experience that I'm lost in the game of dating. Anyway I receive enough initial attention from ladies to get interest levels up from both parties. But since I've been trying to date girls it's always the same thing, I try and set up some sort of date or try to hang out and they will always agree, but then when it comes down to that time it's always the same... they always bail on me. It's gotten to the point where I expect them to bail on me even if they say they want to hang out.

I've heard it all, from "I just 'spontaneously' got sick" to "the weather is too bad for me to go out tonight." It's all getting old and I know it's not what I look like b/c I get plenty of initial attention and girls compliment how I look at parties quite often (the one night stands haha) So I know its got to be my game, I'm making them lose interest in me somehow and I don't know what it is. What do you think it could be?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Just do the same as you would to get a girl a to have a one night stand.

But you call them the next day.

If a girl wants a relationship she will do all she can to make it happen.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
The problem with women is that they are all different. Some have that constant need for attention, and some are completely the opposite. The key is to read them correctly, and you will know how to handle the right one...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is probably true. I guess it kind of hit me when my 19 year old sister just got engaged (she goes to Iowa so who cares I guess) and my oldest brother who is 26 is about to have child number 4. My brother who is 25 still is single and has a bachelors pad in downtown Minneapolis (my avatar is from his balcony), but he's had serious relationships in the past unlike me.

Anyway another reason I posted this was because there was this girl whom I met freshman year but she was dating my good friend, well now its been over 2 years and I've known for a few months there had been at least an interest level in me. So we have been talking and we were suppose to meet up last thursday night but I blacked out and ended up telling her to go to 4th floor legacy, then on the 6th floor, than knapp st, and she was trying to meet up with me but I kept leaving and going to other places in my drunken state. I ended up at Paddy's and shes only 20, but that night could of ****** her off, if she was trying to meet up and I kept telling her different places to go.

I apologized for playing drunk tag (100% on me) and we set up a date for... tonight and like I had predicted she bailed! She could have a perfectly good reason but it has happened so many times in the past I have a hard time believing her. She did say however, we should go out together this weekend... so once again I'll have to wait and see if she is actually true to her word.

I've done exactly what you did, in regards to the drunk thing. Skim through the "brekaups" thread, and you'll find it.

Whatever you do, don't contact her until friday. Call her Friday, early on, like 6. If she doesn't answer, just leave a voice mail wondering what she's up to, and to call back later on. If she doesn't call back, maybe text her once later that night when you're going out, just letting her knowing where you're going. If she's interested, she'll make some kind of reciprocation throughout this process. If you hear nothing, move on.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
I've done exactly what you did, in regards to the drunk thing. Skim through the "brekaups" thread, and you'll find it.

Whatever you do, don't contact her until friday. Call her Friday, early on, like 6. If she doesn't answer, just leave a voice mail wondering what she's up to, and to call back later on. If she doesn't call back, maybe text her once later that night when you're going out, just letting her knowing where you're going. If she's interested, she'll make some kind of reciprocation throughout this process. If you hear nothing, move on.

That is what I was thinking, give her a call and if she doesn't answer or call back, then send a text and if she doesn't make an attempt from there, then just say screw it and try to take home a girl from the bars or something!

She did although seem to feel really bad about bailing on me today by using the words "you're going to hate me but I've been sick all week!" Also when I last talked to her on the weekend she said she was going to get cough medicine, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this one! Lastly, she is the one who suggested we hang out this weekend, so hopefully that is a good sign?

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
The break ups thread got me to thinking about my own dating scene and made me realize that I have never had a serious relationship. Some say that's a blessing in itself (mainly my older brother).

Well my only real GF was back at CR Washington in the spring prior to graduating in 07. We started as a fling but then actually started dating throughout the summer. Well just like everyone else in my class she attended Iowa and I was at ISU, she wanted to try it out and I agreed but a few weeks into the school year as freshman she became a Chi Omega at Iowa and I figured she was going to cheat on me anyway so I broke it off. This is my only real dating experience.

I'm no stranger to the one night stands throughout my years at ISU so it's not like I'm socially awkward, in fact being from CR I feel like I'm way more social than most at ISU. But I'm done with one night stands, I'm getting to the point where I want a GF but I haven't tried in so long or had much dating experience that I'm lost in the game of dating. Anyway I receive enough initial attention from ladies to get interest levels up from both parties. But since I've been trying to date girls it's always the same thing, I try and set up some sort of date or try to hang out and they will always agree, but then when it comes down to that time it's always the same... they always bail on me. It's gotten to the point where I expect them to bail on me even if they say they want to hang out.

I've heard it all, from "I just 'spontaneously' got sick" to "the weather is too bad for me to go out tonight." It's all getting old and I know it's not what I look like b/c I get plenty of initial attention and girls compliment how I look at parties quite often (the one night stands haha) So I know its got to be my game, I'm making them lose interest in me somehow and I don't know what it is. What do you think it could be?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

women love confidence. judging by your post you lack this. i would start working on this if it can be improved.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
That is what I was thinking, give her a call and if she doesn't answer or call back, then send a text and if she doesn't make an attempt from there, then just say screw it and try to take home a girl from the bars or something!

She did although seem to feel really bad about bailing on me today by using the words "you're going to hate me but I've been sick all week!" Also when I last talked to her on the weekend she said she was going to get cough medicine, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this one! Lastly, she is the one who suggested we hang out this weekend, so hopefully that is a good sign?

I wouldn't read much into it. Seems genuine enough to me. As others have said a simple text would be enough to put the ball in her court. "Hope you are feeling better. ***something about hanging out***. Let me know." Then continue on with your weekend. Either something will happen or it won't.

Last edited:

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
also, 2 tips I picked up in school from a great sage:
1) don't meet you future wife at a bar on a monday night. if she is there on monday she's there every night.
2) don't get too serious until you meet her mother. all women seem to eventually turn into something close to their mother both in appearance and behavior.

he had others, if I think of them I will post.

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
Just like in basketball, don't force the issue let the game come to you. If you try, they will be "pushed" away. Idk that's my experience anyways.

This is probably the best advice I could give you. Don't force the issue. Sometimes you're not expecting a relationship and it just happens. Sometimes it's just not meant to be, and sometimes it's a gradual thing. Happens when it happens.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I sometimes find that hanging out casually and getting to know each other is sometimes better than meeting them once and then going on a date. If you just meet them once and then go on a date with them you will be nervous and not act yourself, and vice versa for her. Where as hanging out with them in a casual setting and in groups of people, you get more comfortable around them. If you still feel something after getting to know them, then take them out on a date.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Sounds like your pressing. Go back and revisit your one night stands. Pick the one you were the most attracted to and approach it from an ex-alcohol point of view. Could be the start of a nice relationship or maybe your future wife.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
Sounds like your pressing. Go back and revisit your one night stands. Pick the one you were the most attracted to and approach it from an ex-alcohol point of view. Could be the start of a nice relationship or maybe your future wife.

Apparently I'm worse at this than originally thought, based on all the reactions... haha I've only talked to her like 2 times since last Thursday, didn't think that was too much!

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Ya you're definitely trying too hard guy. Let **** happen. You want a gf, that's fine. But don't go looking for one. That sounds dumb, especially a few rum and cokes in (gotta love Wednesdays), but it's the truth. Quit looking for a gf and the opportunity will be there sooner than you think.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Try to think of it- not as a "we" thing but more of an "attraction" thing. You need to raise her level of attraction toward you.

Invite her to things- parties, or things that the two of you have in common. However, make sure she knows that if she doesn't get with you- she is going to miss out. In other words, excite her by how care free and fun you are. She will want to have a good time with you!

Next, don't be a *****. Seriously. I am not insulting you in any way, just telling you for future reference. I am no expert, but she doesn't want you to tell her you love her or how you need her. Let her become the *****.

-Be a gentleman
-Stand up for yourself, for her, for what you believe in

"The power of a relationship lies with whomever cares the least"

Worry about the L word when you two get married. You can imply liking her and eventually loving her without actually saying it. Letting the relationship come to you is necessary but not easy. I haven't figured it out either.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
I'm kind of regretting starting this thread, I just wanted a few pointers because I have not done the dating thing before (just the drunken hook ups). Now you all think I'm the worst person ever with the ladies:confused:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm kind of regretting starting this thread, I just wanted a few pointers because I have not done the dating thing before (just the drunken hook ups). Now you all think I'm the worst person ever with the ladies:confused:
Chances are 90% of the people on here had the same problem as you are having. it just comes with trial and error and getting older.