Eustachy's Southern Miss to C-USA semis

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
will play Houston with winner going to the championship game

looked very good today as up by 16 with a minute left

Last edited:

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I caught the first half and was very impressed.

20th win for Southern Miss today. Congrats to Larry.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Good for him and Southern Miss. I frankly have no problems with him being let go, as I think we were on a downward sprial with him in charge, but I have no ill will against him. It would be fun to see Southern Mississippi make the NCAA's.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Good for him and Southern Miss. I frankly have no problems with him being let go, as I think we were on a downward sprial with him in charge, but I have no ill will against him. It would be fun to see Southern Mississippi make the NCAA's.

He was on a downward spiral, but it's hard to say we were. He had followed up his worst season as a head coach with a respectable season that ended in an NIT berth. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have taken that 2003-04 team back to the NCAA tourney, and not to an NIT Final Four. But, I don't blame Iowa State for that. It's all on Larry that he's not here any more and didn't get that chance...

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I watched them play Memphis, came away very impressed with the heart and desire that his team plays with, I don't think he has lost it and think he will be up and coming again soon.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Larry would have provided Blalock and Stinson some much needed discipline instead of being dad like WM did.

With LE coaching and WM recruiting, we could have made some runs in the NCAA's

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
He was on a downward spiral, but it's hard to say we were. He had followed up his worst season as a head coach with a respectable season that ended in an NIT berth. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have taken that 2003-04 team back to the NCAA tourney, and not to an NIT Final Four. But, I don't blame Iowa State for that. It's all on Larry that he's not here any more and didn't get that chance...

While he takes (as he should) the blame for the alcohol ISU\VanDeVelde has to take the blame for the handling of the situation. Could have just as easily put him on administrative leave til the next season while he went to rehab, and had him on 'probation' after that.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
There is no doubt in my mind that he would have taken that 2003-04 team back to the NCAA tourney, and not to an NIT Final Four.

Maybe but maybe not. None of us will ever know. I personally think it's just as likely that either Stinson or Blalock would have gotten tired of verbal abuse and high-tailed it back East.

Water under the bridge though....if Southern Miss makes it to the C-USA title game I will definitely watch.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Larry would have provided Blalock and Stinson some much needed discipline instead of being dad like WM did.

With LE coaching and WM recruiting, we could have made some runs in the NCAA's

Exactly! Too bad we didn't have an AD with enough courage to make that happen.

westcyedclone

Jan 22, 2010
Waukee
Wishing Larry all the best. I really think if his inner demons wouldn't have gotten the best of him, he could have become the most legendary coach in ISU history.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Nice try. Except LE has won conference titles (regular season) in 3 different conferences and has won NCAA Tournament games. Other than that the situations are exactly the same. :jimlad:
And Larry won 20 games in year 3 and 19 games in year 4 at Southern Miss.

And how exactly is this similar to Greg's situation here? LE showed improvement in his first four years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron