If you were McDermott...

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
... would you want to climb this mountain anymore? Would it be any fun knowing he has to produce results next season (and, if it happens, beyond) that are realistically beyond expectations for even a proven coach?

Sure, he's getting the money, but he doesn't seem like a person who would just want to coast on the gravy train as long as he can, and feel good about it.

I think Pollard's statement was back-dooring a resignation because he understood the financial constraints of the contract. If the coach decides not to bolt, JP is 100 percent behind him (until next year at this time, if it's the same situation). And he is up front with the coach about all this (but not up-front with fans) — and he says, "if you aren't up to the challenge, we will do everything we can to help you in your next direction."

Just a theory — mainly for discussion, because it just seems like a no-win situation at this point.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Just a theory —

You should have started and stopped with that.

Wow. Coaches don't get into the profession to coast through things. If he wanted to do that, he would have stayed at UNI and they would have gladly kept him around for life.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
... would you want to climb this mountain anymore? Would it be any fun knowing he has to produce results next season.

Not sure how this is any different than any of us working in the real world. Don't we all need to produce results?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not a quitter and I don't think GMac is either so yes I'd want to keep climbing this mountain if I were him. If he didn't want to climb it I wouldn't want him here as the coach. If this team hasn't proven to us enough times already they don't quit regardless of the score and I think that has a lot to do with how they are coached.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
... would you want to climb this mountain anymore? Would it be any fun knowing he has to produce results next season (and, if it happens, beyond) that are realistically beyond expectations for even a proven coach?

Sure, he's getting the money, but he doesn't seem like a person who would just want to coast on the gravy train as long as he can, and feel good about it.

I think Pollard's statement was back-dooring a resignation because he understood the financial constraints of the contract. If the coach decides not to bolt, JP is 100 percent behind him (until next year at this time, if it's the same situation). And he is up front with the coach about all this (but not up-front with fans) — and he says, "if you aren't up to the challenge, we will do everything we can to help you in your next direction."

Just a theory — mainly for discussion, because it just seems like a no-win situation at this point.

The way Hilton support is waning, we will be financially stuck for another five years.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Wow. Coaches don't get into the profession to coast through things. If he wanted to do that, he would have stayed at UNI and they would have gladly kept him around for life.

Exactly my point about that — I don't think most coaches would exclusively take advantage of the salary if their performance was below their own expectations. So then it becomes, what's my motivation?

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
"would you want to climb this mountain anymore?"

please...someone provide GMac with some sherpas.

he cannot get out of base camp.

Last edited:

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Exactly my point about that — I don't think most coaches would exclusively take advantage of the salary if their performance was below their own expectations. So then it becomes, what's my motivation?

Your point doesn't make sense. Have you seen any indications that McD is happy and content with his performance? His motivation would be, I need to perform better and win.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Discussion:

Do I like the current style of basketball he has put on the court? No
Do I like were the program is currently under Mac? No
Do I think he will be successful in Big XII competition? Not sure
Could my overall opinion of McD change? Maybe
Will McD quit on this team and school? Hell no

McD is not leaving. Even I have come to accept this as fact.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Your point doesn't make sense. Have you seen any indications that McD is happy and content with his performance? His motivation would be, I need to perform better and win.

Look, I'm not saying GM is going to want to throw up his hands and say, "I give up." But Pollard spun this the only way he could — he has no budget leverage, he really believes in the coach but hasn't seen the W-L result he'd like, and if it's this way next March, he'll have to make a move.

My core question was, is the added pressure going to make it even more daunting for the coach? And I posed the question the way I did to try to imagine us in his shoes.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
My core question was, is the added pressure going to make it even more daunting for the coach?

I don't think so. If he gets the good players he wants, gets them to play smart ball, play together as a TEAM, and play an entire 40 minutes the wins will come regardless of pressure from above.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

A lesser man would have decided he had been kicked in the junk too many times and walked away. I would not fault Gmac for this at all. There are so many tings that have happened that are out of his control that he has to wonder what he has done to deserve the bad luck. Thing is most people that are in the coaching profession are competetive and are not quitters. GMac is not a quitter and will continue to fight. I admire him for that.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

You would think he would start believing he did not belong with the big boys and make some sort of change before things change around him.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I can tell you that anyone even mcdermott making upwards of 800K a year is NOT going to walk away from that gig ... NO matter how HOT it gets!!!!

The House of McDermott....Home of the 15 win season....:sad:

Reactions: isuforlife

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I can tell you that anyone even mcdermott making upwards of 800K a year is NOT going to walk away from that gig ... NO matter how HOT it gets!!!!

The House of McDermott....Home of the 15 win season....:sad:
True he is going to milk this thing for all its worth.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
If Greg ever resigned because he felt he couldn't do it (he won't) I would be very disappointed. The last person you want leading your program is someone that gives up when things aren't going well. He didn't get this far by giving up when things got rough.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
If Greg ever resigned because he felt he couldn't do it (he won't) I would be very disappointed. The last person you want leading your program is someone that gives up when things aren't going well. He didn't get this far by giving up when things got rough.
I agree with this.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I agree with this.

Yes and I would wonder if he gave up before this to be honest. I will take a losing coach over and all out quitter any day. It would make me wonder if that rubbed off on the team. Say what you want but Greg is not a quitter and he has coached the team the same way. I can respect that.

CYnI

Mar 6, 2008
Again, I ask, what good is this type of speculation?
The man is a diligent worker, desires to succeed, loves ISU, was highly sought after, and is the head coach of ISU Men's BB.
Support him, his assistants and all the players, or at a minimum, stop the speculative B.S.
Players, recruits, recruits families read this type of crap. Does it help the players and coaches reach YOUR expectations?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron