Marshalltown Maid-Rite Owner Protests State Ruling

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
I understand they've been cooking that way for x number of years - but we also used to use lead based paint and insulation containing asbestos.

Reactions: superdorf

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Come on, the state says do something we must comply so what if you have been in business for decades with no complaints. The state is always right.

:jimlad:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Um, why is anyone arguing that a restaurant should be able to store cooked meat in the same pan that it cooks raw meat?

isn't it common sense food safety that you shouldn't do that?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I understand they've been cooking that way for x number of years - but we also used to use lead based paint and insulation containing asbestos.

That's fine as long as you can point to someone that's gotten sick from doing this in the last 80 years.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's fine as long as you can point to someone that's gotten sick from doing this in the last 80 years.

seriously? we have to wait until someone gets food poisoning, AND its traced to this specific store, before we can apply food safety laws to a restaraunt? :skeptical:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Um, why is anyone arguing that a restaurant should be able to store cooked meat in the same pan that it cooks raw meat?

isn't it common sense food safety that you shouldn't do that?

Exactly. No reason they can't put the cooked meat into holding containers, like other restaurants have to do.
But, instead the owner has to whine about it...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Panzy's. I hope they start coming to tailgates and telling people how much beer they can drink and how hot their grills have to be.

If you don't like the way they've cooked for the last 80 years then don't eat their food. It's not like it's a big surprise to anyone, they do it right in front of you.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
80 years of doing and he is wrong. In the states eyes. I would fight it as well. So sick of the government.

Reactions: dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I bet the CEO of Maid Rite is behind this whole thing. The food safety police have been around for a long time and they are just bring it up now? If I remember correctly the CEO was trying to strong-arm these restaurants a few years ago as well. I'm never eating at one of the corporate Maid Rites again.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Panzy's. I hope they start coming to tailgates and telling people how much beer they can drink and how hot their grills have to be.

If you don't like the way they've cooked for the last 80 years then don't eat their food. It's not like it's a big surprise to anyone, they do it right in front of you.

Who is "Panzy"?

And food safety laws don't apply to tailgates, you can give yourself food poisoning all you want, but if you are running a business you have to follow the regulations for that business, pure and simple.

Unless you are arguing against any food safety regulation of restaurants, in which case, um... good luck with that.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I bet the CEO of Maid Rite is behind this whole thing. The food safety police have been around for a long time and they are just bring it up now? If I remember correctly the CEO was trying to strong-arm these restaurants a few years ago as well. I'm never eating at one of the corporate Maid Rites again.

I've never found one as good as the Marshalltown one. That and Taco Johns are the only good things about Marshalltown. Besides me of course:)

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
[quoteI've never found one as good as the Marshalltown one. That and Taco Johns are the only good things about Marshalltown. Besides me of course:) ][/quote]

Yeah but you have to be a man in order to eat there since they are poisoining there food.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I have eaten there for over 40 years and see no reason to change.

There are plenty of "illegal" things in Marshalltown that the government could look into.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
[quoteI've never found one as good as the Marshalltown one. That and Taco Johns are the only good things about Marshalltown. Besides me of course:) ]

Yeah but you have to be a man in order to eat there since they are poisoining there food.[/QUOTE]

:smile: It's funny because pretty much everyone over 70 eats there daily and if they don't get sick...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'll give the maidrite in the Kaleidoscope 3 months before it closes. No one eats there except during state tournament time.