Nationals Qualifier Allocations Announced

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Please pardon these stupid questions, but...

1. How does this impact ISU's NCAA title chances? Not being a smart ***, but I really don't know if this hurts, helps or makes no difference.

2. I read the story about how this all is determined, but could someone please explain how the Big 10 significantly has more allocations in each weight class than say the Big 12?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

1. How does this impact ISU's NCAA title chances? Not being a smart ***, but I really don't know if this hurts, helps or makes no difference.

2. I read the story about how this all is determined, but could someone please explain how the Big 10 significantly has more allocations in each weight class than say the Big 12?

Not sure about #1 but #2 is because there's twice as many schools with wresting in the Big 10

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

It affects how many can qualify for NCAA's by means of the conference tourney at a given weight class. But, even if someone fails to qualify by that route they can still garner a wild card selection.

Well, mainly because they have 11 teams and the B12 only has 5.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

I'm not an expert at this by any means, but here's what I gathered:

I'd guess it makes it hard for us to qualify someone at 149, and maybe puts Fanny at 133 is some trouble, since those weights only have 2.

It means Burk will qualify for sure at 174, since there are 5 spots and 5 teams. Big Z and Varner would qualify regardless at the other 2 weights with 5 spots.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
I'm nervous because I don't see us getting all 10. 157 is sketchy as is 149 depending on how Mueller decides to wrestle.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Not sure about #1 but #2 is because there's twice as many schools with wresting in the Big 10

It affects how many can qualify for NCAA's by means of the conference tourney at a given weight class. But, even if someone fails to qualify by that route they can still garner a wild card selection.

Well, mainly because they have 11 teams and the B12 only has 5.

I'm not an expert at this by any means, but here's what I gathered:

I'd guess it makes it hard for us to qualify someone at 149, and maybe puts Fanny at 133 is some trouble, since those weights only have 2.

It means Burk will qualify for sure at 174, since there are 5 spots and 5 teams. Big Z and Varner would qualify regardless at the other 2 weights with 5 spots.

Geesh, I had forgotten all about there being only five wrestling squads in the Big 12. That is sad, sad, sad.

Thanks for answering my questions bawbie, khaal53 and 1100011CS.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Mueller will get in no matter what as will Fanthorpe (fyi 133 is pretty weak in the big 12). Our biggest question marks to get bids will be Sorenson (although he has a very high RPI which bodes well for a at-large if he doesn't auto qualify) and Jensen...Other than that we pretty much have 8 wrestlers locked most likely 9 w/ Sorenson, so the way I see it we need Jensen to win 1 maybe 2 matches at the conf tourney....Either or we are in pretty good shape for the NCAA's, but it would be optimum to get 10

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Jensen wins one match and hes in because hes then an automatic qualifier and the Big 12 gets 4 spots at that weight. He has wins over #9 Krom from Maryland and #15 Prater from Illinois. he likely gets in no matter what. But one win in the Big 12's and he goes.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Jensen wins one match and hes in because hes then an automatic qualifier and the Big 12 gets 4 spots at that weight. He has wins over #9 Krom from Maryland and #15 Prater from Illinois. he likely gets in no matter what. But one win in the Big 12's and he goes.
Not quite. The #4 and #5 seeds in the tourny can actually win their first match and still end up in 5th place. (They would have to lose a rematch of the pigtail round in the 2nd wrestleback round to get to the somewhat rare 4th place match.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron