Dolphins end Culpepper's brief stint in Miami

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree and thought that before the injury. Sucks may be a bit strong, yet I never thought he was the QB many felt he was. Attitude was his biggest issue.

That and I never got the vibe he really wanted it.

Two big blunders by Saban. Culpepper and giving Ricky Williams another shot.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
He'll be back... when he get's healty... This is what is terrible about the NFL and their CBA, how can a team cut somebody that is injured? Who negotiated that for the players union?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Culpepper is nothing without Randy Moss. Culpepper just threw the ball up and Moss went and got it. I don't think sucks is to strong. They called him Skip in Miami due to him always skipping the ball on the turf before it hit's the receiver.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
He'll be back... when he get's healty... This is what is terrible about the NFL and their CBA, how can a team cut somebody that is injured? Who negotiated that for the players union?

He has been injured for 2+ years now. And he ASKED (well demanded) that he be released. He is getting what he wants here.

Personally, I think he is done. He should thank Randy Moss for making him look 10x better than he really is.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah, the man demanded to be cut. He got what he wanted. We'll see who takes a chance on him now - surely won't be getting paid much.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago

He wont be back... he was not very good. He'll make for an experienced backup. As others have stated, much of his success was do to Moss and playing in the Metrodome with that speed. As a Packer fan I was really upset when the Vikings let Culpepper leave, he was good for at least 2 fumbles a game.

And... while I agree the NFL has issues with injured players, Culpepper asked to be cut.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
For as long as there is a team in the NFL with boat parties, Dante will be be back.........

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Culpepper is nothing without Randy Moss. Culpepper just threw the ball up and Moss went and got it.

Pretty much have to agree there. Don't forget that DC usually also had a couple of other very good receivers to complement RM in Minnesota that could bail out his rather mediocre passing game. Without good recievers, DC's passing game goes away. Also, his injury certainly didn't help things.

As I've said before, I think Dennis Green really hosed over DC. DG threw DC out there as a very young QB with a bunch of good receivers. DC got away with making poor reads and poor throws because the good receivers bailed him out. DC never learned to do it right...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Culpepper is nothing without Randy Moss. Culpepper just threw the ball up and Moss went and got it. I don't think sucks is to strong. They called him Skip in Miami due to him always skipping the ball on the turf before it hit's the receiver.

Very true that Culpepper hasn't done much without Moss. But I'd say the reverse is true as well - Moss has been nothing without Culpepper. Other than not try and whine, what else did Moss do in Oakland? Of course, he's got a great QB in New England to feed him now.

Honestly, I'd say the problems started not when Moss left, but when Cris Carter retired. He was the glue that held the whole Vikings organization together.

The QB and the WR positions are intertwined. A QB is only as strong as his receivers, and a WR is only as strong as his QB. Look at the Colts. An argument might be the Patriots, but the thing that Brady had was receivers that held onto the ball. They may not have been flashy, but they got the job done. Those 3 Super Bowls it was like the entire receiving corps was made up of Austin Flynns.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Your comment about Chris Carter are spot on.

As far as Moss not doing well post-Vikings...I'd say that was a product of the suckage that is Oakland football. He did whine and quit, I don't dispute that - it's no secret I'm no Moss fan.

However, what could Randy do in Oakland? He was never going to be a team leader and won't be in New England - he just wants and needs the football...period. Oakland couldn't get that done, having a debacle at QB.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Your comment about Chris Carter are spot on.

As far as Moss not doing well post-Vikings...I'd say that was a product of the suckage that is Oakland football. He did whine and quit, I don't dispute that - it's no secret I'm no Moss fan.

However, what could Randy do in Oakland? He was never going to be a team leader and won't be in New England - he just wants and needs the football...period. Oakland couldn't get that done, having a debacle at QB.

Exactly my point. A receiver is only as good as his QB.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I know Culpepper asked to be cut, I was mainly adressing the issues with the CBA and NFLPA, mainly the lack of guaranteed contracts.

Now, I am a Daunte fan, having played against him in high school and camps growing up. I disagree that he has an attitude problem, he has just had some tough times lately... I have no doubt he will come back and have a great year if he is finally able to get back to 100%.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I have no doubt he will come back and have a great year if he is finally able to get back to 100%.

Unfortunately he will likely only get a shot at a great year if the starter goes down. I just don't see anywhere he can go and be a starter.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I agree and thought that before the injury. Sucks may be a bit strong, yet I never thought he was the QB many felt he was. Attitude was his biggest issue.

That and I never got the vibe he really wanted it.

Two big blunders by Saban. Culpepper and giving Ricky Williams another shot.

Dante definately did NOT suck. He had a record breaking number of touchdowns several seasons back that was watered down only by the fact that the best TD throwing QB in the history of the world in Indy was setting the bar even higher!

He threw for TONS of yards in Minni and was a top notch starter several seasons. If Moss was the cause of all those yards then why wasn't Aaron Brooks slinging for 3000 last year? My God, how soon the tide shifts on these guys ...

Knee injuries later - he's a shell of his former self, but he definately was a top 5 QB for a number of years and top 3 for two of those. That is far from sucking.

On the last part, Ricky Williams is a loser. But I don't think Saban was the reason he came back - he owed the Dolphins millions and that was the offices attempt to get some of it paid off. Unfortunately he's POS who can't put down the pot.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Saban begged him to come back though - he was the first to extend that to Ricky post "retirement". Sure, motivation for Ricky was money yet I'm not sure he would've been back had Saban not worked so hard to get him back.

Culpepper did have a couple good years, yet he made so many stupid mistakes - even in that season with all the TD's. That and any time something went wrong, he went downhill fast and started throwing fits.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If he cannot run, he cannot win. He did that in college but the pros are different. Just asnmoither backup. Who would you rather have? Seneca, Sage, or Dante?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
He threw for TONS of yards in Minni and was a top notch starter several seasons. If Moss was the cause of all those yards then why wasn't Aaron Brooks slinging for 3000 last year? My God, how soon the tide shifts on these guys ...

No, he didn't suck in Minnesota. But I think his supporting cast made him look a lot better than he really was. So you can't really compare him and Aaron Brooks.

And It makes a difference QBing for a 13-3 team (which Minnesota was at that time) and QBing for the worst team in football as Oakland was.