Now Nile Kinnick would have been president

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Holy cow, hawk fans already think they will win the national championship and the heisman trophy but now this weekend I hear if Nile Kinnick would have lived he would have been President of the United States too! Who are these guys?

mark

Apr 14, 2006
Nile Kinnick was a great Iowan ... who knows what he might have been? If they want to think that he would be President ... who knows? Look two generations of Bush got elected!:Tongue:

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
That viewpoint is nothing new all of a sudden - it's been publicized for a long time. No one can say it would have happened for sure. Forget he played football, it sounds as if he was a great individual. To rip on the guy for wearing black and gold is just plain wrong.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
I didn't really care about that talk as Nile Kinnick was a great Iowan. What bugged me was listening to the broadcasters talking up Montana like it was the greatest test that Iowa could have ever had to test there team to the fullest. Come on idiots, everyone knows that it is a 1-AA opponent and when we open with one we get slammed all year for it by hawk fans.

ferdnand1

Mar 24, 2006
Holy cow, hawk fans already think they will win the national championship and the heisman trophy but now this weekend I hear if Nile Kinnick would have lived he would have been President of the United States too! Who are these guys?

Kinnick was a great Iowan, a great athlete, and 4.0 student, and class president.

No doubt he could of been governor or a successful businessman, or civic leader. He had a lot more leadership qualities than President Herbert Hoover, so who knows.

He dad was an Iowa stater, so he had good bloodlines.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Now that we know the stats on Nile Kinnick, how about Jack Trice stats?
At least the two Iowa school did not name their stadium something equivalent to Bill Snyder. They named them for plasyers and not coaches. Nebraska named their stadium after the WWI army people. Not bad either.

monkeybrow

May 19, 2006
CYST8--Mac talks up every opponent as if they're the '85 Bears.

aahhh...the resident "oust McCarney" coup leader has surfaced...albeit a minor shot across the bow. More pebbles of propaganda to be spilt upon the site?...hoping for a mid-season replacement? Do tell. May day is filled with endless reports and I need some happy fun.

everyone...release the blades from your scabbards...here it comes.

Last edited:

flyhighcy

Aug 7, 2006
Trice

The Jack Trice story unreal. He died because of his Skin color. However he was not the first african american college football player in iowa. Ellsworth College (way way way before it changed from a 4 year liberal arts college to a JUCO) had an african american playing on their team in 1898. Iowa had a guy named Duke Slater who played in 1918. BOTH DUKE SLATER AND JACK TRICE were marked by minnesota players for racial reasons. Slater was intentionally knocked unconscious by a minnesota player and a few years later Trice was killed (homicide) by the same minnesota team.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
BOTH DUKE SLATER AND JACK TRICE were marked by minnesota players for racial reasons. Slater was intentionally knocked unconscious by a minnesota player and a few years later Trice was killed (homicide) by the same minnesota team.

Now that the thread has been thoroughly hijacked from the original topic, I'll make my initial contribution to this board!

Homicide might be too strong a word, but the Gopher squads definitely had a problem with race. There was an article several years ago (DM Register) about a Drake QB named Johnny Bright who was targeted for injury due to the fact he was black. I believe the "Bright Game" was in the 1950's so their legacy of cheap shots was long and brutal.

Back on topic, I live in IC and I know two people who have named their children after Nile Kinnick. While technically he gave his life defending the country, it really wasn't that dramatic. He ditched a training aircraft into the ocean off South America when the landing gear malfunctioned. It wasn't like he dove on a live grenade and saved the other four guys in the foxhole! He may have been a great guy (no doubt of that), but he wasn't a war hero!

monkeybrow

May 19, 2006
Now that the thread has been thoroughly hijacked from the original topic, I'll make my initial contribution to this board!

Homicide might be too strong a word, but the Gopher squads definitely had a problem with race. There was an article several years ago (DM Register) about a Drake QB named Johnny Bright who was targeted for injury due to the fact he was black. I believe the "Bright Game" was in the 1950's so their legacy of cheap shots was long and brutal.

Back on topic, I live in IC and I know two people who have named their children after Nile Kinnick. While technically he gave his life defending the country, it really wasn't that dramatic. He ditched a training aircraft into the ocean off South America when the landing gear malfunctioned. It wasn't like he dove on a live grenade and saved the other four guys in the foxhole! He may have been a great guy (no doubt of that), but he wasn't a war hero!

I leap onto a few "live grenades" daily...perhaps a statue of me shall be erected in front of Jeremy's house? People will place flowers...candies...and love trinkets at my likeness for years to come