Top 5 list: NBA in game dunkers

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
W/ the NBA slam dunk contest coming up and another recent post, it made me think: Who were the best NBA in game dunkers? My list is:

1: Vince Carter, not a fan of his game but he has done some pretty nasty stuff.

2: Dominique Wilkins. Most powerful dunker in my opinion. He hated the rim.

3: Shawn Kemp, short lived but he had a tooonnnnnn of highlight dunks.

4: Kobe Bryant, I will get killed for putting him in front of 45, but he dunks on people with more authority than Jordan. He also uses 2 hands. I could switch em i guess.

5: Jordan, Not a big fan but he had a lot of them and some pretty amazing. The more I think of it, the more I want to leave him off my list.

I think Shaq should definately get some votes in this. In his younger days if he got the ball next to the basket he was dunking hard. Pretty amazing power. Dwight Howard has had some but not near as much as Shaq. Dr. J is the most over hyped dunker in the history of basketball. Clyde Drexler was also pretty good in game. Lebron will prob go on the list at the end of his career. He gets up in the air like and has some power, I just really dislike him.

Your Thoughts?

jakecovo21

Nov 9, 2009
Waukee, IA
W/ the NBA slam dunk contest coming up and another recent post, it made me think: Who were the best NBA in game dunkers? My list is:

1: Vince Carter, not a fan of his game but he has done some pretty nasty stuff.

2: Dominique Wilkins. Most powerful dunker in my opinion. He hated the rim.

3: Shawn Kemp, short lived but he had a tooonnnnnn of highlight dunks.

4: Kobe Bryant, I will get killed for putting him in front of 45, but he dunks on people with more authority than Jordan. He also uses 2 hands. I could switch em i guess.

5: Jordan, Not a big fan but he had a lot of them and some pretty amazing. The more I think of it, the more I want to leave him off my list.

I think Shaq should definately get some votes in this. In his younger days if he got the ball next to the basket he was dunking hard. Pretty amazing power. Dwight Howard has had some but not near as much as Shaq. Dr. J is the most over hyped dunker in the history of basketball. Clyde Drexler was also pretty good in game. Lebron will prob go on the list at the end of his career. He gets up in the air like and has some power, I just really dislike him.

Your Thoughts?

vince
lebron
jason richardson
kemp
spud webb

fatmoldy

Mar 15, 2007
Northwest Iowa
Kobe Bryant is nowhere near sniffing the top five IMO, I'd put Jordan higher and put Dr. J at number one since he pretty much invented the dunk. Carter and Wilkins deserve to be up there and Kemp is a good pick too.

fatmoldy

Mar 15, 2007
Northwest Iowa
vince
lebron
jason richardson
kemp
spud webb

I'm a Cavs fan, and LeBron is what got me into the NBA in the first place, but he lacks style, if that is a criteria in the ranking. He is, however, extremely good at getting a dunk and finishing it strong. Also, he's great at making a regular dunk ridiculous by getting super high.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Carter has some pretty dunks in the open court, but Jordan was the ultimate finisher. Notice most of his dunks here are over the opposing centers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4H3OR-7IE&feature=related"]YouTube - Vince Carter Top 10 Career Dunks[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8M2NgjvicA&feature=related"]YouTube - Top 10 All Time Michael Jordan Dunks[/ame]

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
'Nique was the best in-game dunker and he was robbed in the '88 dunk contest where he made Jordan look average. I couldn't find the clip on youtube, but in '87 I believe, he decimated Larry Bird on a break away like nobody has ever been decimated by a dunk before.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Jordan was an incredible dunker early on in his career. He had such a knack of getting to the hoop and punishing it. As he got older, he stepped his game outside more and more, and so some of the "younger" fans may not remember that. I'd have to say that Nique was a pretty fantastic finisher as well. And Kobe has probably been the best that I've seen (not that I've seen much NBA action) in the past few years.

Those three definitely make my top 5. I didn't see enough of Dr J to include him. Vince Carter, in his prime, was an incredible dunker as well. Let's see. To round off my list, I'll go with Shawn Kemp too. He had some pretty nasty throw downs from all over the place. He and Payton in NBA Jam were nearly unstoppable! :)

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Shawn Kemp is number 1 and I don't think it is even really close. Most dunkers are either "acrobatic" or "powerful". Shawn Kemp is one of the very few that did both well.

Last edited:

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Derrick Rose is one to keep an eye on for the future...he has had a couple of ridiculous put downs this season

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Jordan, Dominique, and Spud Webb were some of my favorites. Dawkins, who was mentioned could throw it down hard if I remember right and shattered a couple backboards.

Shawn Kemp was awesome for a few years.

Carter probably belongs there, but his dunks aren't coming to mind for me.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Kobe has some dunks that are absolutely stunning. I'm amazed at what he can do in games. The wow factor of dunks in games blows anything away I've seen from others like Jordan, Kemp, Wilkins, etc, which is saying a lot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron