Who you taking tonight, Boise State or TCU?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What exactly are you getting at?

Let's put it this way....ISU can trade places with Boise State for a year. We're a weak mid pak Big 12 team and they're top of whatever conference they're in. Does Bosie State go undefeated? No way. Do we pick up a few more wins. You bet. Strength of schedule does make a difference.

If they had the exact conference schedule we had, I think they would have a VERY good chance of going undefeated.

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
I'm afraid Eddie is in the right here. The MWC and WAC are weak conferences that are lucky to have teams make BCS bowls. I know the MWC has a good bowl record, but against who? The Pac-10 and some non-BCS scrubs? Color me unimpressed.

BSU and TCU are very good teams. But put them in any BCS conference for an entire season and we all know they wouldn't go undefeated. They would lose games and we all know it.

So why should we crown BSU or TCU anything other than the champs of the chumps? Get in a real conference or shut up.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
If they had the exact conference schedule we had, I think they would have a VERY good chance of going undefeated.

I disagree. Nebraska would have had that pass attack for breakfast. OSU also would have matched well and overpowered their defense. A & M would even have given them a run for their money based on athletes.

Have them play the other half of the South and it's hard for me to think they'd beat Texas, OU, and Texas Tech...

Now how many teams in their conference would seirously challenge ISU?

That's my point here; their conferences are way different and you have to have a tough conference to breed a National Conference team ie: SEC....

Last edited:
Reactions: St810s

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
I disagree. Nebraska would have had that pass attack for breakfast. OSU also would have matched well and overpowered their defense. A & M would even have given them a run for their money based on athletes.

Have them play the other half of the South and it's hard for me to think they'd beat Texas, OU, and Texas Tech...

That's my point here; their conference are way different and you have to have a tough conference to breed a National Conference team ie: SEC....

+1

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

That's my point here their conference are way different and you have to have a tough conference to breed a National Conference team ie: SEC....

I think you are vastly underrating the athletes Boise gets. They raid the California JUCOS and get a number of other borderline (character, grades) guys that would otherwise be pretty highly rated. I think Boise would have worked A&M and probably won a boat race with Ok. St. Nebraska would have been a good game but I give them a pretty decent chance there as I doubt Nebraska would have lit up the scoreboard.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I think you are vastly underrating the athletes Boise gets. They raid the California JUCOS and get a number of other borderline (character, grades) guys that would otherwise be pretty highly rated. I think Boise would have worked A&M and probably won a boat race with Ok. St. Nebraska would have been a good game but I give them a pretty decent chance there as I doubt Nebraska would have lit up the scoreboard.

Dang, all you got to do is look at the lines....Do they have anybody who even looks remotely close to Ndmamukong Suh or Jared Crick? Boise State and TCU were both relatively small teams who are really quick.

The problem is the big boys have big guys who are really quick.

I'm not saying Boise State and TCU aren't good. Could they beat ISU? Sure with one hand tied behind their back. Can they beat most of the other teams from the power conferences in the top 10? If I was betting in Vegas, I'd bet against them every time.

I like underdogs, but I can also see with two eyes what's being put out on the field.

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The MWC and WAC are weak conferences that are lucky to have teams make BCS bowls. I know the MWC has a good bowl record, but against who? The Pac-10 and some non-BCS scrubs? Color me unimpressed.

Subjective opinion and definitely not fact about the MWC being a weak conference (I'll give you the WAC being weak. Boise State needs a new conference). Seriously, what do they have to do to earn your respect? Go undefeated against every BCS conference? The Pac-10 had a great regular season and got dominated in head-to-head competition against the MWC during bowl season, BYU beat Oklahoma head-to-head (yes, I know it was without Bradford, but they were staying right with OU before he got injured), TCU wins at a pretty good Clemson team, and did you forget Utah totally annihilating Alabama last season?

I would say that TCU, Utah, and BYU would finish in the top half of any conference this season. Frankly, I am less than impressed with the SEC this bowl season. Right now they are only one game above .500 in bowl season. Tennessee got destroyed by an underacheiving Virginia Tech, South Carolina got blown out by UCONN, and Auburn and Arkansas were lucky to win their games. Had NW and ECU had kickers who could hit the broad side of a barn, the SEC would be below .500. Not impressed at all.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'm not saying they aren't good teams. What I am saying is they aren't great teams who deserve to be in the National Title game. To do that you have to play a tougher schedule then they do. If they're in a weak conference, well then maybe they do need to move if they want to make a serious run at the National Title.

It's like KSU scheduling all those cup cakes in the 90's.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm not saying they aren't good teams. What I am saying is they aren't great teams who deserve to be in the National Title game. To do that you have to play a tougher schedule then they do. If they're in a weak conference, well then maybe they do need to move if they want to make a serious run at the National Title.

To do that teams will have to accept games with them or the NCAA will have to step in and standardize scheduling... Thats not going to happen. I say give them a chance and force the big boys to knock them off earlier in the season if they don't like seeing them in the Championship.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

The issue for BSU is no one will let them do what it takes to get to a national title game. The system is set up to keep the rich, rich and to keep those who aren't in, out. BSU has tried to get into the pac10...they don't want them...why risk losing money to a school with proven success. They have tried to schedule more top notch programs, even as away games for BSU and no one wants to play them and risk a preseason loss. So they are stuck doing what they are doing and I for one feel for them.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
To do that you have to play a tougher schedule then they do.

Do you mean in conference or out of conference? The three MWC teams I mentioned above all had pretty good non-conference schedules.

If you do mean non-conference, well then the BCS conference schools have to be held to the same standard. Florida's non-conference schedule this season was an absolute joke.

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Why in the world would any legit BCS team schedule a real non-BCS contender? The Big school wins and they get nothing but another W. Their conference schedule is where they earn their stripes. The Big school loses, it could possibly break their season and a chance at a national championship. Where's the incentive?

And Air Force, Wyoming, UNLV, San Diego State, New Mexico, and Colorado State. That is why the MWC is a joke. Every BCS conference has teams like TCU, BYU and Utah. No BCS conference has a bottom as weak as the 6 I listed. Not one.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I came on here this morning to admit how wrong I was about TCU...and what do I find...bashing of the WAC and Mountain West Conferences.

As Cyclone fans, playing in the Big 12 North, you best remember that we are living in a "glass house" relative to strength of conference. I think either BSU or TCU would be at or near the top of the Big 12 North on a regular basis...they get into the Big 12 Championship and they would have a shot at the BCS...the old "on any given day" addage would apply.

With respect to the game, I think the crowd (decidedly BSU), the crowd noise (TCU had not played in that loud of an environment), and the national stage (this was TCU's first BCS rodeo) all played into TCU underperforming last night. I still believe TCU was the better team and would win 7-8 times if these teams played 10 games.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Why in the world would any legit BCS team schedule a real non-BCS contender? The Big school wins and they get nothing but another W. Their conference schedule is where they earn their stripes. The Big school loses, it could possibly break their season and a chance at a national championship. Where's the incentive?

And Air Force, Wyoming, UNLV, San Diego State, New Mexico, and Colorado State. That is why the MWC is a joke. Every BCS conference has teams like TCU, BYU and Utah. No BCS conference has a bottom as weak as the 6 I listed. Not one.

Buddy, I don't think you can back the highlighted item up very well:

+ Air Force just put a beat down (47-20) on Houston in their bowl game. Yep, that Houston that beat Okie St at Okie St

+ Wyoming won their bowl game against Fresno St

+ Colorado St plays CU every year and has been the dominant team recently in that series from what I can remember

Look, I am not saying that this conference is as good as most BCS conferences in FB...it is not. But the gap is much closer than you indicate above. And, as I said in my last post, we happen to live in the "glass house" known as the Big 12 North.

EddieISU

Aug 16, 2008
Waukee "The Key", iowa
Congrats Eddie, you're the first person on here I've ever put on my ignore list.

BTW, thanks for proving my point about needing to grow up with your latest post.
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present Exhibit A...."
First off Chip, since your so adament about these two 2 teams and their conferences let's do a look. Yes the MWC did very well in their bowls. 2 claps. And since your so hooked on bowl records, let's look at the WAC. Well lookie their Nevada was the 2nd best team and got "crushed" as you like to say, by SMU!! Yes that's SMU. I believe Missouri beat Nevada at Nevada this year too. Air Force the 3rd best team in the MWC got beat by Minnesota! I think a team I root for beat that team too! Lol.
Secondly, what bothers me about these boards are people like you. I just stated my opinion that I didn't see National Championship football out of either team and you proceed to call me a moron. I apologive for stooping to your level after that. (Sorry I didn't debate or throw this or that stat out their for you but their's your snack above). I have much more time to pursue to my family than to stay up all night wasting my time and factiods on you. Happy to be ignored! Your my first and will always be special. Regards, Eddieisu.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I just stated my opinion that I didn't see National Championship football out of either team

And did nothing to back it up.

Again, I love the irony of a guy putting down two programs that have more BCS appearances than we do - and in recent years, have defeated us as well.

The fact is, we don't know if these two teams are national title caliber programs - because they never got the chance! But this season, they did everything they needed to, especially BSU - that has a win over another BCS bowl team (Oregon). And not just a squeaker, but they dismantled Oregon with no trouble.

Get ready to flip out next season, should BSU run the table (they return 21 of 22 starters) and end up in the title game.

And by the way, don't sit there and whine about being picked on when you were slinging more mud than anyone else in this thread from the get-go.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
And did nothing to back it up.

Again, I love the irony of a guy putting down two programs that have more BCS appearances than we do - and in recent years, have defeated us as well.

The fact is, we don't know if these two teams are national title caliber programs - because they never got the chance! But this season, they did everything they needed to, especially BSU - that has a win over another BCS bowl team (Oregon). And not just a squeaker, but they dismantled Oregon with no trouble.

Get ready to flip out next season, should BSU run the table (they return 21 of 22 starters) and end up in the title game.

And by the way, don't sit there and whine about being picked on when you were slinging more mud than anyone else in this thread from the get-go.

This +1000. I put Eddie on my ignore list, so I didn't see his post, but it is interesting, at least from a sociological standpoint, to see such a healthy level of contempt for the facts (whether it's in politics, sports, etc.) when the facts don't match up with your way of thinking and what you want to beleive.

"I don't like Boise State and/or TCU, so they're not very good..." despite all evidence to the contrary. Very interesting and kind of sad really.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't see the point of bashing Boise or TCU. You think they care whether or not ISU fans respect them? They've won more BCS games than most teams have even played in. Bash them all they want but not many teams aren't exactly itching to play them. The sad part about this game is what a huge cop out it was by the BCS. Not only did they hedge their bets and force these 2 undefeateds to play but they also threw Cicny to wolves to ensure that at the most there would be 2 undefeateds. This protected their cash cow and also clean up the mess they made last year when Utah wiped the floor with Bama. Had Boise or TCU played Florida or Cincy and done what Utah did last year, then there would be even more pressure on the BCS. But with the way things worked out perfectly for them this year there won't be nearly the same debate as last year. Heck even the Boise player after the game didn't say they desereved to be #1.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I didn't read what Eddie said, but I do think you guys are taking whatever was said a little too personally.

I don't think Boise State or TCU deserve to be in the National Championship game based on their based on overall weak schedules they played as well as the product I saw on the field last night.

That's not a bash of Boise State or TCU. More of of a bow to the other teams who do play tougher schedules.

Let's say UNI beat Iowa this year then played ISU and beat them and then ran the table in the Missouri Valley conference and go undefeated. Do they deserve a chance at the National Championship? Why not?

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I didn't read what Eddie said, but I do think you guys are taking whatever was said a little too personally.

I don't think Boise State or TCU deserve to be in the National Championship game based on their based on overall weak schedules they played as well as the product I saw on the field last night.

That's not a bash of Boise State or TCU. More of of a bow to the other teams who do play tougher schedules.

Let's say UNI beat Iowa this year then played ISU and beat them and then ran the table in the Missouri Valley conference and go undefeated. Do they deserve a chance at the National Championship? Why not?

Why would they play someone not on their schedule? And to answer your question because they are not an FBS school.

MWC-6-1, winning by an average of 24 points per. If TCU plays our schedule they don't get beat and Boise St probably doesn't either.

I give up. I cannot argue with someone who won't listen to reason.