basketball future (Somewhat long)

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
when I think about who Iowa State needs when they are recruiting players and what players we need to win I think of the detroit pistons of the larry brown years. the team was designed very well.

PG- Chanucy Billups- True PG who makes players better, clutch Shooter
SG- Rip Hamilton- good scorer, very quick
SF- Tayshaun Prince-great defender, can shoot well
PF- Rasheed Wallace- athletic post man, good scorer
C- Ben Wallace- great defender, great leader, motivated others to play Defense, made it fun and exciting

They played team defense and won playing the right way. They defendend, they passed, they shot well, and they made shots when needed close in games.

Iowa state I believe can get guys to fit the positions of starters.

PG- Garrett, Brister. not sure which one will emerge, need someone to set up
shots, make plays and hit cluthch shots
SG- Mike taylor- fast, quick like Hamilton can score well at times. needs to be
more consistent. needs to add weight as well.
SF- Wesley Johnson- fits tayshauns profile. skinny long armed. needs to
develope more consistent 3-point shot. needs to add weight
PF-Craig Brackins- I have not seen him play. but from his profile of 6'10 220
he should fit into the athletic big man. who can score
play defense. I hear he's a good shot blocker
C-Thompson/Hubalek- We need someone to dominate the paint. was hoping
for cem dinc at 6'10 250 but not looking like that will
happen. Need a bruser down there that hopefully will
be addressed 2008.
I don't know who will start but those are just guesses and will proabably change.

So who would I like to have for a bruser/center for 2008 here is my order

1. J'Mison Morgan 6'10 275
2. Emanuel Negedu 6'7 230
3. Tyrese Breshers 6'7 240
4. Brett Thompson 6'11 255
5.Josh Crittle 6'8 220

There may always be new names emerging as possible recruits and that may change my order. I don't want anymore super skinny post players. I want guys who are not afraid of contact and willing to fight for the ball.

Greg Mcdermott is a coach who knows how to get what he wants out of players and help them in player developement. when the 08 class is done I'll have to make an assessment of the 09 class. But one player i do want from the class is Elijah Johnson.

Last edited:

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
There may always be new names emerging as possible recruits and that may change my order. I don't want anymore super skinny post players. I want guys who are afraid of contact and willing to fight for the ball.

Does it really matter if they are skinny when they are afraid of contact? :rolleyes5cz:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I dont count on Alex to do much of anything. He has done nothing his first 2 years. I really don't understand why people expect him to do anything now. I hope he does.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
i don't think that Clark is given the automatic starting position, i see thompson may stealing his role, or being the 6th man, he'll be a role player, and play a position that gmac wants him, and i don't think center is it

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
i don't think that Clark is given the automatic starting position, i see thompson may stealing his role, or being the 6th man, he'll be a role player, and play a position that gmac wants him, and i don't think center is it

I don't see how Thompson can play the 3 if he has bulked up as much as everyone says. He probably wasn't quick enough to guard a 3 before he bulked up. You really think he can guard Brandon Rush now?
He will play the 4/5 position.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

First he "won't play center", now you "don't think center is it".

Thompson is 6'10" 230# according to cyclones.com, and by all accounts has bulked up in his year off. Safe to say he's not playing the 3. If he plays it will be at the 4 or 5.

At the 4 is Wesley and Cory Johnson and Brackins.

McDermott is a renown big guy coach, and since Jiri and maybe Brackins are the only competition at the 5, I think Alex will play center often, and will excel at it.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
well done sir, didn't know that thompson was 6' 10'' 230, and if that is correct then play him at center, as long as marsden doesn't see the floor. But as far as thompson goes i like what he can bring from the perimeter as well, draw a big guy out and create some foul trouble.

H

HGPuck

Thompson will be much better than what you saw of him in the place I don't like to speak of. If McD says he is one of our better inside players, which he has on many occasions, than that is what I will believe. He now has a coach that is very talented at developing big men compared to someone that is next to worthless at developing talent. Marsden will be better, he is only going to continue to get stronger and more skilled, probably never a starter but a solid role player.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Thompson will be a 5 with Jiri at the 4. Wesley was undersized at 4 and will be again next year. Wesley and Clark will split time at the 3 and Wesley will move down to 4 IF he has to give Thompson or Jiri a break. But I don't think that will happen a lot because Marsden and CJ will be on the bench. Brister is more of true point guard than DG but DG or Dodie (if he comes back) could start at the 2 if Taylor is gone. This is going to be a really deep team next year.

1 - Brister
2- Taylor
3 - Wesley/Clark
4 - Jiri
5 - Thompson

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
I dont count on Alex to do much of anything. He has done nothing his first 2 years. I really don't understand why people expect him to do anything now. I hope he does.

because he has had a year with a real coach. He had pretty hair Alfie his first two years.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
McDermott is a renown big guy coach, and since Jiri and maybe Brackins are the only competition at the 5, I think Alex will play center often, and will excel at it.

I'm really not trying to be a smartaleck here but what exactly makes McDermott "a renown big guy coach". Has he developed any tremendous big guys?

As for what we need to have future success, I think, generally speaking, teams that have major success in college basketball have two primary things that enable them to be successful at a higher level:

1)Strong point guard play. Someone that controls the tempo for his team...knows when to push it and when to back it out. Someone that can create shots for himself and for others. Someone that takes care of the ball (minimizes turnovers). Someone that can (when necessary) hit the open outside shot. Probably the best ISU examples are Hornacek and Tinsley. Both Florida and OSU had this with Green and Conley Jr.

2)A "long" player that is a strong defender and can "tend the goal". This guy does not have to be the 5. He may be the 4 or even possibly the 3. This guy does not have to be a "banger" in college ball. Often times it is someone that has a combination of height, long arms, and great agility. This is someone that can block or alter shots and allow the perimeter defenders to be much more aggressive because they know if they get beat that someone is "tending goal" for them. Probably the best ISU example of this is Cato. Florida had several players that fit this bill...Noah, Brewer, and Horford. And certainly OSU had Oden to fit this bill.

My friends, these are the two "keys" as I see it from observing college basketball very closely over the last 30 years or so.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Let's see, GMac took a 6' 6" kid named Gruber from a Div. II JC and turned him into an all conference performer. Gruber's frontcort mate was even more insignificant when he came in, Schneiderman. All they did was average 25 points and 15 rebounds /game for two years. He followed them with a kid that nobody had heard of from a 2A HS in IOWA in Grant Stout and a 6'6" bruiser in Coleman that need no further introduction. I'd say that is a pretty fair job of developing big men.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm really not trying to be a smartaleck here but what exactly makes McDermott "a renown big guy coach". Has he developed any tremendous big guys?

Forgetting Stout, Coleman, etc from UNI, wouldn't the job he did with Jiri this last year qualify him?