Who goes home for college, who stays in town?

purify

Apr 1, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
I spent the last two summers in Ames, but I kind of wish I would have gone home. I had to work fulltime to afford living expenses. If I was at home I would have been able to just relax.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Have to echo most of the previous posts on here. Summer in Ames is a blast. Stayed there two years, grilled out all the time, worked an easy job, went out 6 nights a week. It's a great time to make new friends and also to get to know a lot of the bartenders which comes in very handy during the school year.

This. I took one summer class and then worked. Grilled out a lot, went out a lot. You really get to know the people who stayed in town and being a summer regular at the bars gives you an in with the bartenders when they're backed up 3 deep in the fall and you're waiting for drinks. Not to mention, the patios are all open and you can really bar hop without having to worry about crowds or lines.

One of the things I really loved about Ames is that you really noticed the changing of the seasons. Summer is laid back, but then when students start showing up in August, there's an influx of energy in town that you can feel.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
As others, I highly recommend staying at least one summer in Ames. You make a ton of great friends, have the town to yourself, awesome fun.

If your girlfriend is studying abroad, it's best to just end it and you'll have even more fun (lesson learned the hard way).

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
This. I took one summer class and then worked. Grilled out a lot, went out a lot. You really get to know the people who stayed in town and being a summer regular at the bars gives you an in with the bartenders when they're backed up 3 deep in the fall and you're waiting for drinks. Not to mention, the patios are all open and you can really bar hop without having to worry about crowds or lines.

One of the things I really loved about Ames is that you really noticed the changing of the seasons. Summer is laid back, but then when students start showing up in August, there's an influx of energy in town that you can feel.

This sums up my summers in Ames as well. Especially the changing of the seasons.