Who goes home for college, who stays in town?

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
How the bars in Ames during the summer? It seems like quite a few kids stay around, but obviously its not the same as during the year. It was really easy finding a job compared to back home, and i decided to take a class and get ahead on my degree by staying this summer. One thing I love is being able to go to the gym and not have a million people there. Totally random thread i know, but when you were in college or still are did you stick around during the summer or go home?

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
How the bars in Ames during the summer? It seems like quite a few kids stay around, but obviously its not the same as during the year. It was really easy finding a job compared to back home, and i decided to take a class and get ahead on my degree by staying this summer. One thing I love is being able to go to the gym and not have a million people there. Totally random thread i know, but when you were in college or still are did you stick around during the summer or go home?

My best summer in my life was the summer I stayed in Ames. Took 3 classes and worked. I lived with one of my best friends and 2 guys I had never met. By the end of the summer we had a small group of friends who we became a lot closer to. You'll have a blast if you can find that small group of people who want to have a fun summer.

We partied every friday and went to the waterpark every saturday. Lazy river sure cures a hangover.

Hope your summer is as memorable as mine was! Enjoy!

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
For all the reasons you eloquently stated. Its laid back, bars aren't as crowded and everyone seems friendlier.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I loved summers in Ames. Traffic dies down, disc golf courses were less busy, bars less crowded, stores less crowded, gyms were less crowded, and the pace of everything slows down.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I always went home. Worked on the farm and also for three summers worked for the CRANDIC (Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Railway 91-93) that was a great summer job. M-F 730-430 $10/hr.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Stay in Ames and take it all in. My best summer was the last on I was in Ames. I didnt do **** but work a few days a week, grill out, and get drunk with friends at night. Real life sucks. Enjoy your days there to the max while its on YOUR terms.

Reactions: 4VR4CY

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site

I stayed every summer I was in college it was some of the most fun I ever had. Each summer was different between where I lived, what job I had and if I was legal to get into the bars.

The first few years the house parties/frat parties were great different place each night and it would become a set schedule of where to go each night. My junior year I worked at bars so I got into that schedule and got to know everyone that worked at the bars never had to pay for much.

If you are about having a good time between the house parties/frat parties and the bars you will get to know most everyone in Ames and have a great time.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
My best summer in my life was the summer I stayed in Ames. Took 3 classes and worked. I lived with one of my best friends and 2 guys I had never met. By the end of the summer we had a small group of friends who we became a lot closer to. You'll have a blast if you can find that small group of people who want to have a fun summer.

We partied every friday and went to the waterpark every saturday. Lazy river sure cures a hangover.

Hope your summer is as memorable as mine was! Enjoy!

Conversely, I had one of the worst summers of my life the year I decided to stay in Ames. I lived in Freddy with 2 friends and a stranger. Unfortunately, just after we made the plans to do that I started dating a girl which made one of my future roommates extremely jealous. The other roommate took off after 2 weeks and traveled the country visiting family. I took one class and worked as a research assistant in the structures lab. The work was extremely sporadic and I had absolutely nothing to do all summer long once my class got over. To make matters worse, I ended up breaking up with that girl about a month into the summer anyway.

So the most important lesson: don't room with a guy who wants your girlfriend.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The best time in Ames is to be had during the summer. Amenities for a 60,000 person town but there are only 30,000 people in town. Bars still get business but aren't overcrowded. Ames truly shows it's "bigger city amenities, small town attitude" feel.

D

DistrictCyclone

I always went back home for the summers to work. I had a good-paying construction job, and the living was cheap.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Stayed for a month last summer to knock to classes out so I could graduate on time. I absolutely loved it. We didn't drink constantly but grilled out almost every night had fire's and just chilled. I would love to do that again. I also got engaged during that time so I guess that's a plus too!

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Never went home for summer during college. Those were some of the best summers I have ever had. Everyone else has already touched on the reasons why it's awesome. I didn't go to ISU but the benefits are the same for all college towns.

Now that my friends and I are in our lower 30's the ones of us that stayed every summer always talk about those times and those that went home are wishing they would have stayed for at least one summer.

I always recommend people stay at least two summers, you will never have a time like this in your life again so why not enjoy it to the fullest.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Lived all but one of my summers in Ames. Loved all of it. As everyone else said, everything is less crowded and people seem happier. Maybe it's all the sunshine and being able to hang out around a grill or just be outside.

I took a class or two each summer and worked 40+ hours a week. Really got close with the summer staff (on campus job) because it's a smaller staff in the summer so easier to get together as a group and I actually knew everyone on staff.

Now that I'm in the real world...I miss summers in Ames

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Went home first summer, stayed and took at classes next summer.
I worked in orientation for summers after Junior and Senior year. Working with orientation was def best and most memorable part of my college career.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I stayed in Ames one summer. It was a good time, took one class on campus and one online through Iowa Central. I also worked in Beardshear so the hours weren't much. Get friends, grill out, drink beer, play disk golf, hit up the parks, float the squaw, go fishing, enjoy life! Just stay outta trouble. The cops are still around even if most of the students aren't....

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I went home my first two summers and stayed in Ames my last two. Summer classes were more enjoyable than regular classes, my job seemed better in the summer too. We would go to Peterson Pits a couple times a week and boating once or twice a week. Bars are less crowded and it is always warm out. All around Ames is a great place in the summer.

Reactions: heyguy85

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Stayed in town one summer. Had a job for a couple of weeks, then decided to just enjoy the two classes I was taking. The atmosphere was so much more laid back than the regular school year. Bars were awesome and the ladies definitely had their school year guard down. Probably drank every single day during the summer.