Who goes home for college, who stays in town?

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
I love Ames during the summer. When the students come back it's kind of like losing Ames, but at least it means football is right around the corner.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If u have something to do in Ames I bet its a blast. My parents don't live very far from Ames so I go there on some weekends.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I always went home, but I had a lot of buddies who went to other schools come home for the summer and had a pretty good summer job, so it was worth it.

I did however visit Ames on plenty of weekends as plenty of my buddies stayed and always had a really good time. Ames in the summer is great, and while I don't regret going home any of the summers I did, if you don't have anything much waiting for you there, take advantage of it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
As someone who lives and works in Ames I think you should go home. All students should, as soon as classes are done. Thank you.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
As someone who lives and works in Ames I think you should go home. All students should, as soon as classes are done. Thank you.

That's how I feel living in college town (Lawrence).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I also live in Ames. And although I am clearly "middle-aged," I always prefer to have the students in town.

It is never quite right to have the Jack Trice parking lot empty!

CloneFan319

Aug 18, 2010
Iowa
Just finished my 1st year at ISU. I had came home for the summer since the lease for my apartment doesn't start until August. This is definitely the last summer I will be spending back home. Been home a little over a week and already wanna move back to Ames..

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Ames is a blast in the summer. There has only been one summer where I haven't spent at least a great deal of time in Ames. This summer and last summer I lived in Ames. Nothing beats grilling out almost every day, drinking mass amounts of booze, tubing, the pits, sand vball, discing, and the fact that there are still a decent amount of girls in town. Add in the fact the bars are less crowded. It's awesome. The best is finding those few girls to become your summer flings since their school year guard is down.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA

Why? I, for one, stay pretty close to campus, so it's not like I'm any more disturbance than normal. I don't know that students do it intentionally, I think that's generally what the summer student population does.

Just curious if you've had bad experiences or if you have some other reason.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Have to echo most of the previous posts on here. Summer in Ames is a blast. Stayed there two years, grilled out all the time, worked an easy job, went out 6 nights a week. It's a great time to make new friends and also to get to know a lot of the bartenders which comes in very handy during the school year.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
I love summer in Ames. I love how quiet it gets, traffic dies down, bars aren't packed, and the weather is beautiful.

Work, Fish, Drink, Grill, repeat.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Why? I, for one, stay pretty close to campus, so it's not like I'm any more disturbance than normal. I don't know that students do it intentionally, I think that's generally what the summer student population does.

Just curious if you've had bad experiences or if you have some other reason.

Those damn students won't stay off his lawn.

dzmetcalf

Mar 3, 2010
Ames, IA
I ended school and moved to Ames, but yea I've spent the last 7 summer's here and they're amazing, Welch Ave bars are so much nicer this time of year.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Once I left home I never went back, but I think my parents were also happy I didn't.

Can be fun but you need to live with cool people or it sucks.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Second straight summer in Ames for me. Taking a class and working for the Daily.