We make it to a bowl game if...

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I like our chances to get 6 wins. For that to happen, I see 3 keys
1) Solid O-line play
2) Lanning or Park need to step up. Mahomes and Mayfield are the class of the Big12 preseason, ISU's QB needs to be middle of the pack- consistent production and limit turnovers.
3) We need to be solid defending the run. Sure the Big12 is a pass happy league, but good defenses make teams pass the ball to earn firstdowns.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Win 5 and not enough 6 win teams to fill bowl games. My thought on bare minimum needed to get a bid. Holiday Inn veteran. Just saying.

octaviouspoon

Jul 25, 2016
Ohhh I love these threads! We make it to a bowl game if....then the OP essentially says if everything goes our way. Like many have said...5-6 wins is the only answer. Doesn't matter how you get them.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
IMO, we need to finish games. Last year, we very easily could have, perhaps should have, won 7 games. We won 3 instead.

- Toledo: missed a chip shot FG to win. Lost in OT
- Iowa: I felt like we dominated that game, for the most part, and were tied with 3 minutes left
- TCU: Folded big time on that game
- KState: The reason we have a new staff. Complete abomination.

Reactions: CyBobby

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
ISU was a minus 11 last year, which is pretty bad, while Iowa was a plus 11, which is very good. I like that Campbell and his staff realize that TOs are absolutely the key to winning games. CPRs teams always seemed to want to wait for the other team to do something stupid, like drop the ball or throw it right to our butter fingered DBs, rather than trying to take the ball away.
Iowa State's defense had nothing to do with any of these turnovers. They were all just complete gifts from Nebraska.

I don't know what you are seeing but there are a few of these that are simply great plays by the defense who wanted the ball more.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Win 4 of the first 7 and I think they could easily have a 6-6/7-5 season.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
All the stars align and Uranus is in retrograde, because it's going to take some cosmic type **** to get us into a bowl game this year.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa, TCU and Oklahoma are all ranked in the coaches poll top 25 or receiving votes. So we need to sweep the unranked teams we play or upset 1 or more of the 6 above. I think our route to a bowl is a little easier this year, at least using this analysis.

I think Texas and Baylor could be interesting, if they struggle early they could be in turmoil when they play us. Unfortunately, the opposite could be true.

There's usually a surprise team in every league and with a little luck it could be us this year. I'm hoping we go 5-1 against the bottom 6 and 2-4 against the top 6. I realize that's overly optimistic but that's why we're called fans!!!!

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Our football players need to make good football plays at the end of the football games!

Seriously, though. It seems like the difference between our 4 win and 6 win teams in the past has just been a missed kick or two, dropped pass, 1 yard short of a first down, etc. If they can just make a few more of those...

"Good football plays at the end of games"....Could U be talking about the Kansas State game that we had won and coach rhoads did what was on a piece of paper(rhoads explanation not mine)..............LOL

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
IMO, we need to finish games. Last year, we very easily could have, perhaps should have, won 7 games. We won 3 instead.

- Toledo: missed a chip shot FG to win. Lost in OT
- Iowa: I felt like we dominated that game, for the most part, and were tied with 3 minutes left
- TCU: Folded big time on that game
- KState: The reason we have a new staff. Complete abomination.

Did you mean to say Okie State instead of TCU?

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I don't want to start a new thread for just this article, but I thought I should share it somewhere. The Big 12 Coaches Anonymously commenting on Big 12 Opponents. About what you'd expect for Iowa State. http://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-12-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2016

The saddest part is that the coaches are pretty spot on with Iowa State. Lack of overall speed on defense hurt us last year and will probably hurt us some this year as well. For the coaches to just mention KCM and not say anything about Tucker on the line was a little surprising.