Tim Floyd on Jim Rome's Radio Show

roostercogburn

Nov 20, 2006
Ames, Ia
I was listening to the Tim Floyd radio show and Rome had Floyd on at one, during the interview Floyd not only lumped us with Idaho or Idaho State (coaching gig before ISU) and called ISU an "unrecriutable outpost", what gives with this guy I used to like him till today.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
I like Rome, but that is a misguided statement to say the least. You also have to take into consideration, that he is a SoCal Shill......ISU avg 13K fans a game....USC avg 4K fans a game. I don't suppose Floyd said anything about his stint at ISU???

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It's very easy for recruits to want to go to Southern California compared to Ames, Iowa. Heck they have beaches and babes in January and we have parkas. That was probably his point.

He's being honest. Can't fault him for that....

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I was listening to the Tim Floyd radio show and Rome had Floyd on at one, during the interview Floyd not only lumped us with Idaho or Idaho State (coaching gig before ISU) and called ISU an "unrecriutable outpost", what gives with this guy I used to like him till today.

Just a bit of clarification? Did Rome or Floyd say that?

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Apparently it is not impossible to recruit to ISU since he did it, along with Orr, Morgan, and McD.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
/shrug

He's coaching on easy-mode now, and by comparison, he's right. That doesn't mean you have to like him.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Last time I cared about what Tom Floyd had to say was when he told us that
he no interest in the Chicago position. So, I could care less what he has to say. Look forward, not behind.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
I guess the state of Kansas is a recruiting hotbed, which makes KU so darn good.... same goes for nebraska with football.

In reality though it is probably nice for him to drive within a 50 mi radius of USC and recruit kinds just in that area to make a winning D-I caliber team.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Someone said something that wasn't all roses and daisies about us. It isn't the first time and won't be the last.

So it came from a former coach. Happens. Maybe he didn't have a great time here, who knows. The nasty winters in Iowa can have a sour affect on some people.

Especially when you eventually relocate to California...

clonefarmer

Apr 16, 2006
No real surprise that the respect and admiration most of us had for him wasn't mutual on his part. I always figured we were just an intermediate rung in his career ladder. Maybe he was just being flip and going for a cheap and easy joke but it just seems to me the big paychecks that go to some of these guys don't buy any loyalty.

The man was a heck of a coach especially on the defensive side. I really thought if he'd stayed we could have been up in the top 3 in the conference every year. He's a smart guy but maybe not smart enough to appreciate the great fan support he had here and definitely not smart enough to know he wasn't cut out to coach in the NBA which is a different game entirely.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Floyd and Larry were good friends, and whether you agree with him or not, Floyd was pretty upset with how the Larry fiasco went down...ISU was definately not a lot more than just a stepping stone for Floyd, but he sure could recruit...Cato, Willoughby, C.J. Bruhton, Gerald Henderson, Fizer, and Hinrich in that short of a period. Who knows where ISU could have went if he would have stuck around...oh well-I think everyone can agree we are headed places with the coach we have now.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Is it possible that when he said ISU that he was referring to Idaho State University? Didn't hear the interview, so I'm not sure.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
Like him or not, Floyd did more to help Iowa State basketball reach the "big time" than anybody else. I don't blame him for being bitter about how his best friend was lynched by BVD, while the rest of the "sheep" in the administration let it happen.

OK, fire away revisionists, "holier than thou" types, and others with little real knowledge of what actually happened.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Like him or not, Floyd did more to help Iowa State basketball reach the "big time" than anybody else.

I couldn't agree more. I was just thinking about that tonight on how awesome we would still be today if he hadn't thought he should go to the NBA.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
Floyd had offers from Tennessee and Ohio State that were more than twice what he was making at Iowa State at the time. To his credit, he never left for another college job (which is all he ever promised).

However, he did have a battle with Gene Smith to get his salary raised to $750K, which was still over $250K LESS than what other schools were willing to pay him.

The millions offered by the Bulls were a little harder to ignore. He's stated many times that no male in his family had lived past 50, and a big part of his decision to take it was to provide financial security for his family.

Last edited:

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Someone said something that wasn't all roses and daisies about us. It isn't the first time and won't be the last.

So it came from a former coach. Happens. Maybe he didn't have a great time here, who knows. The nasty winters in Iowa can have a sour affect on some people.

Especially when you eventually relocate to California...

California sucks out loud. I did two years there when I was younger and it was the hardest time I ever did. Especially S. Cal. It's no place to live.

N. Cal. is a different story.