Tim Floyd on Jim Rome's Radio Show

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Isn't it more likely that he is just playing up his current position? I am not sure what he is supposed to say when talking about former positions.

I do recall hearing that Floyd and Gene Smith didn't really like each other.......that is only my recollection..

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The millions offered by the Bulls were a little harder to ignore. He's stated many times that no male in his family had lived past 50, and a big part of his decision to take it was to provide financial security for his family.

Never, ever will I criticize or hate a man for doing something like that, especially with that reasoning.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Floyd has always been a little arrogant (many of the good coaches are) and I think this is just a little of it showing.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Floyd has a good sense of humor, he was always funny on the radio. I'd like to think he was making a joke, but I'm not sure since he should know we wouldn't find it funny.

I think he took the USC job because his daughter lives out there, plus he doesn't have to recruit very hard since there are great players everywhere out there. He never was a fan of recruiting even though he's one of the best at it.

Also, he didn't do more than anyone to get us "big time". That would be Johnny Orr. Floyd took one step forward but it wasn't a giant leap. He had the potential to, but he didn't stay. Anyone who knows ISU basketball before 1980 knows that Orr did more for us than anybody. Basketball was an afterthought. The football team was good so it didn't really matter.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Floyd was unhappy with Gene Smith over CJ Bruton. I guess Gene botched the appeal process. A couple other kids who played with CJ were allowed to play NCAA ball, but CJ was not.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Like him or not, Floyd did more to help Iowa State basketball reach the "big time" than anybody else. I don't blame him for being bitter about how his best friend was lynched by BVD, while the rest of the "sheep" in the administration let it happen.

OK, fire away revisionists, "holier than thou" types, and others with little real knowledge of what actually happened.

Are you kidding? Did you forget about Johnny Orr? By far, Orr is the person most responsible for ISU having a basketball tradition!

You all need to remember that nearly all of these coaches today are "mercenaries" looking for the "best gig". Heck, even Orr could be accused of that for not being "loyal" to Michigan and coming to ISU! You need to realize that this is a cut-throat profession and these guys are never going to be as loyal to ISU as most of the people on this site!

I do think Floyd is a solid college coach. He is certainly able to identify talent in recruiting kids that are not "big names". He has done this with several kids from his home state of Louisiana...Dedric Willoughby at ISU and Steve Francis at USC come to mind. He has also done this in the JC ranks.

However, when he came to ISU Orr had left the cupboard full for him. When he left ISU, he left us in the lurch with his timing and coming off a 12 win season, I believe. The only saving grace was that he left us with our only McDonald's HSAA (Fizer...another Louisiana kid).

Mark my words, if LSU has another weak basketball season they will fire John Brady and go after Floyd. By the way, Floyd and Brady are "very good friends" and "best friends" in the coaching business only goes so far!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Loyalty in coaches does only go so far. That is why Johnny Orr and Bill Fennelly types are worth their weight in gold.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Are you kidding? Did you forget about Johnny Orr? By far, Orr is the person most responsible for ISU having a basketball tradition!

You beat me to it. Johnny made ISU MBB relevant much the same way Bill Fennelly has for the women's program. We were not even on the map before Orr inexplicably chose to come here from Michigan. I think very highly of Tim Floyd (in my opinion he is the best coach ISU has ever had) but there is no question that Orr did more for our program than any other coach ever has.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
I listened to the interview and didn't even hear him say that. Not to say he didn't but it's not like a lot of his time was spent ripping on ISU. I only heard him mention ISU once in the context of he used to have someone come out and watch his practices at his former job, when he was at ISU.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Like him or not, Floyd did more to help Iowa State basketball reach the "big time" than anybody else. I don't blame him for being bitter about how his best friend was lynched by BVD, while the rest of the "sheep" in the administration let it happen.

OK, fire away revisionists, "holier than thou" types, and others with little real knowledge of what actually happened.

Say Larry, no revisionism is necessary, because the facts speak for themselves. You behaved very, very badly and got fired because of it. That's not uncommon in the business world or athletic world. Your behavior started the problem.

But Larry, let me ask you something, where was your "best friend" Tim Floyd while you were on the road to destruction? Certainly if he was your "best friend", he should have had some idea of the problems you were going through and how you were behaving. Why didn't he intervene? Aren't friends supposed to do that?

But Larry, if it's any consolation to you, I do fault BVD and the "sheep" in the athletic department for not having the guts to stand up to you make you deal with your alcoholism before it got way out of hand. Maybe they were afraid of getting shelled with profanity-laced tirades containing new combo's of 4-letter words never before heard, but nonetheless, they still should have stepped in and stood up to you. For that, the ISU athletic department should be ashamed.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I listened to the interview and didn't even hear him say that. Not to say he didn't but it's not like a lot of his time was spent ripping on ISU. I only heard him mention ISU once in the context of he used to have someone come out and watch his practices at his former job, when he was at ISU.

Yeah I was surprised when this whole conversation started. I think he really liked Ames and working at ISU. From conversations I've had with others, he's always been very gracious when talking about ISU after he left. If it wasn't for his relationship with Reinsdorf, I think he would have been at ISU for a long time.

dsouth

Nov 24, 2006
his family stayed in Ames long enough for his daughter to graduate from H.S. while he was in Chicago coaching the bulls. I don't think Coach Floyd had anything bad to say about ISU, and during the interview he wasn't trashing ISU at all. It was just a passing point that at ISU, you had to recruit in california and other places, and at USC you have all you need right there.

The deal with the number one recruit though doesn't pass the smell test. If a college or h.s. basketball player hires an agent then they can't play college basketball. So who approaches Floyd? not an agent, but a "promoter" and the talk of marketing himself? You mean like for potential endorcement deals? And the kid showing up on campus with a freakin flim crew? I suppose I shouldn't be suspicious of the "squeaky clean" USC atheletic programs; however, I would be a bit concerned that this promoter was also contacting boosters, soliciting corporate endorcements and alreay has employed a promoter and film crew to document things. The NCAA doesn't even blink an eye at this or with a house Reggie Bush's family got, while he was a player. Yet a program like ISU has to suspend a basketball player for 7 games for getting a cheap car from somebody whose intent was innocent.

I doubt anybody will question any of this, and no disrespect meant to Coach Floyd. But something isn't right with this whole situation.

Last edited: