wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Re: Iowa facing NCAA violations?

They admitted it because they knew they were going to get busted. Probably a good move because the NCAA will probably go easy on their punishment now.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

During the ISU Iowa football game they allowed recruits two of whom were Josh Ogelsby of CR Wash and Marcus Paige from Linn-Mar to meet with celebrities such as Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore. They knowingly did this and did not stop it...

Iowa Tells NCAA That Recruits Met Kutcher, Moore | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News

This all goes back to Fred Mims' lack of authority and control over the Iowa coaching staffs. The Director of Compliance at any university should leave no questions in coaches' and and ex-players' minds about what the rules are.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I seem to remember that Harrison Barnes saw MJ, but MJ did not talked to him b/c of this rule. I imagine schools like USC are snickering at this as they must violate these rule daily.

It is really a stupid rule.... But the university is also getting in trouble for a couple of former basketball player oliver and someone else that talked to them after a pick up game...

Also I thought that HB was pumped to "meet" MJ on his visit... but i could be wrong....

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA

Why? GI Jane is a solid flick

My first thought as well.

Pretty stupid by whoever was in charge of showing the guys around. That said, I really don't think much will come of this, about as minor as you will hear of in most cases.
Truth be told, the way last season went, they might actually have some sympathy for us:jimlad:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
There might be a loophole with MJ, given that he's a former North Carolina player. Perhaps if Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher were former UIowa players, the loophole would have applied to them, too. Just guessing.

The violation was Evans, Oliver and Kutcher so I don't think MJ would be a loophole.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I do not understand the issue. The kids are not gaining any monetary gain. How is meeting someone illegal? This just makes a slap in the face that everyone is equal. I would comment more but would be moved to the cave.

What a dumb rule. A North Carolina recruit can go and meet Michael Jordan because he played there, but they can't meet some hack actor at a football game? Stupid.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was once asked my opinion about something on the news-- do you think a recruit could meet me?

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
What a dumb rule. A North Carolina recruit can go and meet Michael Jordan because he played there, but they can't meet some hack actor at a football game? Stupid.

you obviously didnt read the article or every response to the post... There also in violation because of 2 former IOWA basketball players that the recruits meet....

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Iowa violates these minor rules on a regular basis, so I'm surprised they self-reported this.

And yes, UNC violated NCAA rules during their recruitment of HB. Duke likely did as well.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
you obviously didnt read the article or every response to the post... There also in violation because of 2 former IOWA basketball players that the recruits meet....

It was the free pizzas that got them in trouble......They should learned from last year that it doesn't help to give out free pizzas to gey people to attend men's BB games

Cysrevenge

Aug 13, 2010
so the recruits had to meet someone that sucks (kutcher), and it was a violation?

DOUBLE FAIL!

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
"NCAA rules prohibit potential high school recruits from having any contact with individuals considered to represent a university's athletic interests because of the potential influence boosters can have on the recruiting process."

So Demi and Ashton have potential influence on recruiting at Iowa, but Michael Jordan has no potential influence on recruiting at NC?

The NCAA is a joke

Agreed. Pretty stupid. Wasn't MJ involved in a pick up game with Barnes or something like that?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Kutcher and Moore = Tavern Hawks. If they want to use them I say go ahead.