Iowa Basketball Recruiting Violation

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I'm sure there is a ton of photographic evidence of these violations, since every other commercial seems to be Kutcher and his Nikon Coolpix taking pictures of everyone. :wink:

rob05

Apr 14, 2006
Ankeny
Since its basketball season all I'll say is this:

You can't do that...clap clap clapclapclap

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I do not understand the issue. The kids are not gaining any monetary gain. How is meeting someone illegal? This just makes a slap in the face that everyone is equal. I would comment more but would be moved to the cave.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
So recruits can't even meet and shake hands with someone nowadays? How stupid. Now, had Ashton and Demi handed the kids a few grand or bought them a nice dinner, then there'd be a story here. But simply introducing them? Come on.

And as others have said, why is it ok for Harrison Barnes to meet Michael Jordan on a visit to North Carolina without anyone thinking twice about it?

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
"NCAA rules prohibit potential high school recruits from having any contact with individuals considered to represent a university's athletic interests because of the potential influence boosters can have on the recruiting process."

So Demi and Ashton have potential influence on recruiting at Iowa, but Michael Jordan has no potential influence on recruiting at NC?

The NCAA is a joke

C

Cyclone42

And as others have said, why is it ok for Harrison Barnes to meet Michael Jordan on a visit to North Carolina without anyone thinking twice about it?

There might be a loophole with MJ, given that he's a former North Carolina player. Perhaps if Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher were former UIowa players, the loophole would have applied to them, too. Just guessing.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There might be a loophole with MJ, given that he's a former North Carolina player. Perhaps if Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher were former UIowa players, the loophole would have applied to them, too. Just guessing.

this. is MJ collecting any kind of paycheck from UNC? that might make him paid ambassador for the university.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Since when does a ****** bag in a cliche trucker hat and his worn out 80's film star wife have any influence in recruiting. These kids weren't even born when St. Elmos Fire came out.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
So recruits can't even meet and shake hands with someone nowadays? How stupid. Now, had Ashton and Demi handed the kids a few grand or bought them a nice dinner, then there'd be a story here. But simply introducing them? Come on.

I seem to remember that Harrison Barnes saw MJ, but MJ did not talked to him b/c of this rule. I imagine schools like USC are snickering at this as they must violate these rule daily.