Big XII to add schools within days?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Who says they weren’t? One reason though would be, again, the in-market factor. Iowa St adds ZERO new in-market subscribers to the Big 10. Given that fact’s impact on an addition’s ability to pay for itself, it’s not hard to see why that rumor is viewed as less likely.

You say you understand, but you keep asking questions that are easily answered when thinking about the fact these conferences have networks.

But it was a rumor. A rumor I didn't believe.

I don't believe this rumor either. I'll buy you a beer if there's ever a 14 team Pac 12 by adding TCU and Houston.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
How exactly is Oklahoma State’s culture different than Oregon State? A school full of lumberjacks?

I understand that adding TCU/Houston is all about markets. But they can’t get their ****** network on TV now. How exactly do they think they’re getting it on in Texas with those 2 schools?
It’s different, but more importantly, already in the Pac12. The Pac12 isn’t wanting to add anything close to Oregon St’s.

Well, they didn’t add, so maybe they share your doubts, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t the best option out of a bunch of options that wouldn’t save the Pac12.

The state of Texas is much more a college football market than the west coast, so I don’t see the equivalency you’re using. That’s the whole reason they need to expand- the West coast doesn’t care as much as other parts of the country

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
But it was a rumor. A rumor I didn't believe.

I don't believe this rumor either. I'll buy you a beer if there's ever a 14 team Pac 12 by adding TCU and Houston.
This is not a rumor you believe if you don’t understand the conference network dynamic. Given your repeated questions about the BIG adding Rutgers vs the Big 12 adding Houston, I can see why you don’t believe this.

Houston and TCU don’t need to be added for this rumor to true- that TCU and Houston were consider top options yet not good enough options . How about I buy you a beer if Ok St is in the Pac12 before those two, as that’s the jest of your objection to this rumor.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It’s different, but more importantly, already in the Pac12. The Pac12 isn’t wanting to add anything close to Oregon St’s.

Well, they didn’t add, so maybe they share your doubts, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t the best option out of a bunch of options that wouldn’t save the Pac12.

The state of Texas is much more a college football market than the west coast, so I don’t see the equivalency you’re using. That’s the whole reason they need to expand- the West coast doesn’t care as much as other parts of the country

Houston was last school in for Big 12 expansion. And now they are the crown jewel to save the PAC 12. LOL. TCU is not even one of the better schools in the Big 12. When your claim is that they are good because of a New Year’s Six Bowl win years ago, then you have a weak argument. Iowa State defeated the PAC 12 Champion Oregon last year in the Fiesta Bowl. Fill a 61,500 Seat Stadium consistently.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is not a rumor you believe if you don’t understand the conference network dynamic. Given your repeated questions about the BIG adding Rutgers vs the Big 12 adding Houston, I can see why you don’t believe this.

Houston and TCU don’t need to be added for this rumor to true- that TCU and Houston were consider top options yet not good enough options . How about I buy you a beer if Ok St is in the Pac12 before those two, as that’s the jest of your objection to this rumor.

I understand cable networks. I understand streaming. I understand we're in a gray area of transition between the two and I'm fascinated by where we are in that. It's the interesting question in all of this. You don't know and I don't know. I am skeptical that Rutgers still "brings New York" or that Houston "brings Texas". If they do, it's not for much longer.

Don't be so obtuse, I like most of your posts.

Reactions: Hoggins

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Houston was last school in for Big 12 expansion. And now they are the crown jewel to save the PAC 12. LOL. TCU is not even one of the better schools in the Big 12. When your claim is that they are good because of a New Year’s Six Bowl win years ago, then you have a weak argument. Iowa State defeated the PAC 12 Champion Oregon last year in the Fiesta Bowl. Fill a 61,500 Seat Stadium consistently.
Why are you resorting to strawman? Weak ones at that. Why? Is your position that weak? I’m guessing the end of your post is why, you view this as is a threat to ISU’s argument for inclusion

No one said they were the crown jewel. It was said they were viewed as one of the top options. It’s a statement of relativity. And again, what works for the Big 12 is different than the Pac 12-adding in market subscriptions vs adding simply a brand in an area in which the conference already should have a presence. And let’s not ignore that the Pac12’s interest in Houston wasn’t a reason of merit in adding Houston in the first 4.

No one said TCU is good because of the Rose Bowl a decade ago. It was said winning the Rose Bowl increased the brand value to Pac12 than anything Ok St has done. You may not be aware, but the Rose Bowl carries this weird spell over Pac12/Big10 people. I have no doubt the bowl win against 4-2 Oregon increased our perception a little, probably not as much as the Rose Bowl, but more importantly, not as much to offset the fact Dallas-FTW is way bigger haul for their network in market subsidizing

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Adding the #4 and #5 population centers has to weigh on this. Even with the move to streaming the metro areas are playing a role in 2021. (Dallas and Houston have over twice as many people as Iowa)

ISU fans have been saying for a long time that we'll pay for content. We're an energized fan base!!

Who likes to complain about lack of broadband and how the games should be free on WOI.

It's a brave new world. Hoping the new Big 12 isn't more than just a temporary patch. ISU's small market in a stagnant state seems to be seen in a lesser light than a weaker program in a much bigger market

Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I understand cable networks. I understand streaming. I understand we're in a gray area of transition between the two and I'm fascinated by where we are in that. It's the interesting question in all of this. You don't know and I don't know. I am skeptical that Rutgers still "brings New York" or that Houston "brings Texas". If they do, it's not for much longer.

Don't be so obtuse, I like most of your posts.
Then I don’t understand how you can be so surprised. The two cities would immediately add far more value than ok st, which depends primarily on ratings.

You’ve been skeptical for a decade. Meanwhile, as predicted, Rutgers has helped the Big 10 make so much money they’ve expanded their power, and soon conference

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Why are you resorting to strawman? Weak ones at that. Why? Is your position that weak? I’m guessing the end of your post is why, you view this as is a threat to ISU’s argument for inclusion

No one said they were the crown jewel. It was said they were viewed as one of the top options. It’s a statement of relativity. And again, what works for the Big 12 is different than the Pac 12-adding in market subscriptions vs adding simply a brand in an area in which the conference already should have a presence. And let’s not ignore that the Pac12’s interest in Houston wasn’t a reason of merit in adding Houston in the first 4.

No one said TCU is good because of the Rose Bowl a decade ago. It was said winning the Rose Bowl increased the brand value to Pac12 than anything Ok St has done. You may not be aware, but the Rose Bowl carries this weird spell over Pac12/Big10 people. I have no doubt the bowl win against 4-2 Oregon increased our perception a little, probably not as much as the Rose Bowl, but more importantly, not as much to offset the fact Dallas-FTW is way bigger haul for their network in market subsidizing

Houston was not even a top option for the Big 12. BS on your argument about Okie State. They came within a miracle upset by Iowa State of being in the National Title Game back in 2011. PAC 12 Network has no demand for it. And TCU and Houston do nothing to enhance the Big 12. Go grab Tulane then. Massive Market.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Then I don’t understand how you can be so surprised. The two cities would immediately add far more value than ok st, which depends primarily on ratings.

You’ve been skeptical for a decade. Meanwhile, as predicted, Rutgers has helped the Big 10 make so much money they’ve expanded their power, and soon conference

Throw in the fact that the PAC has done a **** job of getting their network on content providers. The Big did a much better job of market penetration.

It takes a special kind of mismanagement to have the LA, SF, Seattle, Arizona, Denver, and Portland markets and still not maximize revenue.

The PAC is a fun league. It's full of marketable teams. They somehow just miss the mark again and again

Legend12

May 9, 2008
Record ticket sales at our highest ticket prices ever. Football ticket revenue is at an all time high. Your claim is BS.

In 2019 ticket revenue was just $2.5 million ahead of the bottom of the conference (Okie State) and the conference range was $13,911,000 up to $67,081,000. That is not good.

And they were last in the Big 12 in AD donations.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Throw in the fact that the PAC has done a **** job of getting their network on content providers. The Big did a much better job of market penetration.

It takes a special kind of mismanagement to have the LA, SF, Seattle, Arizona, Denver, and Portland markets and still not maximize revenue.

The PAC is a fun league. It's full of marketable teams. They somehow just miss the mark again and again

I think it is a challenge. Those are just not big College Sports areas.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Houston was not even a top option for the Big 12. BS on your argument about Okie State. They came within a miracle upset by Iowa State of being in the National Title Game back in 2011. PAC 12 Network has no demand for it. And TCU and Houston do nothing to enhance the Big 12. Go grab Tulane then. Massive Market.
I am not sure what you're not getting here, but the Big 12 doesn't have a conference network, so the fact Houston was 4th in preference to Big 12 isn't a reason why it could not be 2nd for the Pac12. Let alone the fact the Big 12, unlike the Pac12, has an existing presence in Houston. The threat of the Pac12 adding Houston was one of the factors in Houston getting in now.

Your rebuttal is that Ok St's pinnacle moment is getting upset to an average Iowa St team in the middle of a season? Yeah, "we'd be in the title game if not for xyz on a night in November" doesn't resonate in the Pac12 like winning a Rose Bowl.

I have no idea why you type your last two sentences. But the Big 12 has no conference network, so presumably you meant Pac 12 if you're talking market size. And Tulane's marker is not as large as Houston or TCU's, so even then I am not sure how you're making any sense.

Houston and TCU add value to the Big 12 because we need hatred and history matchups, local rivalries, because there are no big brands available, and we do not have a conference network. They also limit the Pac12's options, which is good for when the Pac12 loses teams.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron