Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Reactions: aauummm

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The PAC could still be waiting to pick apart the new Big 12 with TCU and Houston adds?

These new additions will all depend on GOR, if we all sign a long term deal then that seals it. I’m still hopeful for big ten, but in the meantime gonna support the conference we’re in.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The PAC could still be waiting to pick apart the new Big 12 with TCU and Houston adds?

I buy it.

The Pac12 does have a conference network in DESPERATE need of adding more in-network major metros that watch football (central and East timezones). The Big 10 Network averages $0.50/subscriber, the Pac12 $0.11 in 2018….having actually gone down since starting in 2012.

Their only hope of surviving is to sellout and make Rutgers type additions…they would have annexed half the AAC if not for distance. The fact they didn’t add Texas metros indicates they are ******

Let’s add SMU, and then trade the Pac12 TCU for one of the Arizona schools.

Not figuring out a way to make a SWC/Big 8 type merger work will come back to haunt the powers of the Pac12 and Big 12 2.0 (2011-2021).

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
The big question: After the realignment dust has settled, will the Big XII still be considered a "power" conference ? I have a sick feeling the other Power 4 conferences will lock us out, leaving us as the same status as the Mountain West, the AAC, the MAC, and (shiver) the Sun Belt. I feel that way because the teams we adding are from the other non-power conferences. I hope I'm wrong about this. What do you think? Do these additions keep us "power five"?
THIS is my fear. We end up being "the best of the rest," but SOL in terms of the playoff and possibly even major bowl games and televised games

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
TCU and Houston? What? Meanwhile large state schools like Oklahoma State are available? WHAT?!?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
TCU and Houston? What? Meanwhile large state schools like Oklahoma State are available? WHAT?!?

The PAC 12 obviously still has no idea whatsoever how college football works going forward.... no wonder their conference sucks.

Not many people will pay money to stream Houston and TCU. It doesn't move the needle at all for the PAC to add them.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I could imagine Houston and OK State as a two team addition.

TCU and Houston are harder to imagine.

Why is this hard to imagine?

The Pac12 is only expanding because they have to. There are no big brands to add, so best way to try and save the conference is adding in-market subscribers. Streaming is coming, but as JP says, it’s still largely linear

Ok St isn’t a large state school, and isn’t THAT different than TCU or Houston to those in the west. TCU’s Rose Bowl win over WI 10+ years ago likely has their brand higher in the Pac12 area more than an small, crappy Okie school (how many west elites view Ok St).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The PAC 12 obviously still has no idea whatsoever how college football works going forward.... no wonder their conference sucks.

Not many people will pay money to stream Houston and TCU. It doesn't move the needle at all for the PAC to add them.

OK State is the pretty obvious most valuable/least risky B12 team left in terms of consistent success and fanbase unlikely to fall off the map. Also they don't have the religious (TCU/BYU) issues Pac likes to avoid or the crime syndicate issues any rational business person would want to avoid (Baylor). We think we're building something lasting at ISU but I don't blame the rest of the country for being in wait and see mode for another 5-10 years.

It's hard to take any Pac rumor seriously that excludes OK State.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Why is this hard to imagine?

The Pac12 is only expanding because they have to. There are no big brands to add, so best way to try and save the conference is adding in-market subscribers. Streaming is coming, but as JP says, it’s still largely linear

Ok St isn’t a large state school, and isn’t THAT different than TCU or Houston to those in the west. TCU’s Rose Bowl win over WI 10+ years ago likely has their brand higher in the Pac12 area more than an small, crappy Okie school (how many west elites view Ok St).

So all the talk about culture and religious institutions was never true?

Why TCU/Houston over:
OK State/Houston
OK State/Tech
OK State/Houston/Tech/Kansas
OK State/ISU/Kansas/Tech
OK State/ISU/Kansas/Houston

It's just not even in the top 5 of combinations I could imagine.

Reactions: Hoggins

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
So all the talk about culture and religious institutions was never true?

Why TCU/Houston over:
OK State/Houston
OK State/Tech
OK State/Houston/Tech/Kansas
OK State/ISU/Kansas/Tech
OK State/ISU/Kansas/Houston

It's just not even in the top 5 of combinations I could imagine.
Not as true as all the talk about revenue.

Ok St doesn’t fit their culture either.

And, let’s not forget they didn’t add anyone. But it’s not hard to see that why a conference that faces an existential threat due to low revenue would prioritize TCU and Houston over small, mid-tier state schools that do not add markets.

You do understand why the Big 12 adding large cities is different than conferences with networks (BIG, Pac12 for example) adding large cities?

Kansas likely was on the list too, with both a better cultural fit, brand, while bringing a decent market. Or perhaps not because they’ve been earmarked to the BIG.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

And, let’s not forget they didn’t add anyone. But it’s not hard to see that why a conference that faces an existential threat due to low revenue would prioritize TCU and Houston over small, mid-tier state schools that do not add markets.

You do understand why the Big 12 adding large cities is different than conferences with networks (BIG, Pac12 for example) adding large cities?

I just don't see why this rumor is some stone cold truth and the KU/ISU Big Ten rumors weren't.

It seems unlikely to me the Pac was serious about going to 14 with just Houston and TCU. It seemed unlikely to me the Big Ten was going to 16 with ISU/KU while the ACC and ND were still out there...or even the 4 team west coast pod.

Both rumors were out there, both are probably wishful thinking by TCU, Houston, ISU and KU fans.

I know how it all works. I live in Pac 12 footprint, they have a unique problem in that people just don't watch sports on tv or in person out here. I'm in the most populated county in the USA, I could drive around for half of the day and be the only person wearing a college football tshirt.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

How exactly is Oklahoma State’s culture different than Oregon State? A school full of lumberjacks?

I understand that adding TCU/Houston is all about markets. But they can’t get their ****** network on TV now. How exactly do they think they’re getting it on in Texas with those 2 schools?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I just don't see why this rumor is some stone cold truth and the KU/ISU Big Ten rumors weren't.

It seems unlikely to me the Pac was serious about going to 14 with just Houston and TCU.

I know how it all works. I live in Pac country, they have a unique problem in that people just don't watch sports on tv or in person out here.
Who says they weren’t? One reason though would be, again, the in-market factor. Iowa St adds ZERO new in-market subscribers to the Big 10. Given that fact’s impact on an addition’s ability to pay for itself, it’s not hard to see why that rumor is viewed as less likely.

You say you understand, but you keep asking questions that are easily answered when thinking about the fact these conferences have networks.