Big XII to add schools within days?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
So this is why I don't understand the rush to add BYU, Cincy, UH, and UCF to the B12. Those schools will always be available to us. But if there is a likelihood of the P12 or ACC getting poached then why don't we let this play out first? I think the ACC and PAC will be well behind the B1G and SEC financially, so it seems very possible that their top tier teams make a move. No matter what that combination looks like, I would rather add remaining PAC or ACC schools to rebuild the B12.

And of course if none of that comes to pass, BYU, Cincy, UH, and UCF will still be there waiting. Again, no rush.
One potential answer would be some Big 12 teams are leaving, and the remaining teams would have trouble not being the ones poached and sent every which direction. Another could be, at 12, we're much more likely to poach leftover Pac12 and ACC schools than have those conference lure some of the 12.
If you're the old Big 8 schools, the difference is being a core member vs being a new edge or satellite member of a new conference in which you're the backfill. Third is to weaken any other best of the rest conference (AAC).

I think two would have been fine, UC and UCF since they are obvious ACC tragets when replacing football schools. The leftover Pac 12 schools would go to the MWC over add BYU, but BYU was also the strongest brand, so now you're at three. Might as well add Houston since they could be a strong member and it helps pushdown the AAC.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
So this is why I don't understand the rush to add BYU, Cincy, UH, and UCF to the B12. Those schools will always be available to us. But if there is a likelihood of the P12 or ACC getting poached then why don't we let this play out first? I think the ACC and PAC will be well behind the B1G and SEC financially, so it seems very possible that their top tier teams make a move. No matter what that combination looks like, I would rather add remaining PAC or ACC schools to rebuild the B12.

And of course if none of that comes to pass, BYU, Cincy, UH, and UCF will still be there waiting. Again, no rush.
I believe the P5 conferences that aren't the SEC have agreed to not poach each other at this time in an effort to have bargaining power against ESPN, SEC and TV. Simple as that...the timing is off as of today. In one year or two years once this phase is done, I would guess gloves come off again. But, who really knows other than the power brokers. That's my take at this point.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I believe the P5 conferences that aren't the SEC have agreed to not poach each other at this time in an effort to have bargaining power against ESPN, SEC and TV. Simple as that...the timing is off as of today. In one year or two years once this phase is done, I would guess gloves come off again. But, who really knows other than the power brokers. That's my take at this point.

So why not stay put for a year or two? Play with OuT and see what the next phase brings. These 4 schools will still be there waiting for us if we need them. But there may be better options for us by then as well.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So why not stay put for a year or two? Play with OuT and see what the next phase brings. These 4 schools will still be there waiting for us if we need them. But there may be better options for us by then as well.

Need to notify Conferences of intent to withdraw. Lowers their buyout

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Good luck recruiting to a league with 8 teams that looks ready to implode.
This. And we don't know if OuT are going to be in the big 12 tomorrow or in 4 years.The benefit right now is the p5 to stay strong vs SEC and ESPN. Secondly, build a brand for the new big 12 the best we can as a p5 conference. Just playing the best hand possible at this point, getting as much money from OUT and ESPN, and not dropping to a lessor conference.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You want to go into the upcoming GOR and TV deal Armageddon with only 8 teams, a few of which will be actively shopping? A ton of risk. We easily could be how WVU was the last decade. We’d have less ability to keep the core together, whether that be 4 or 8.

We had to add 2-4.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and HFCS

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
You want to go into the upcoming GOR and TV deal Armageddon with only 8 teams, a few of which will be actively shopping? A ton of risk. We easily could be how WVU was the last decade. We’d have less ability to keep the core together, whether that be 4 or 8.

We had to add 2-4.
Minimizes recruiting losses by adding now.
The uncertainty would kill you.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
This. And we don't know if OuT are going to be in the big 12 tomorrow or in 4 years.The benefit right now is the p5 to stay strong vs SEC and ESPN. Secondly, build a brand for the new big 12 the best we can as a p5 conference. Just playing the best hand possible at this point, getting as much money from OUT and ESPN, and not dropping to a lessor conference.
The new Big 12 isn't becoming a lessor conference. Basically, it will be on par with both the ACC and Pac 12. Yes, far behind the SEC and BIG, but still a viable power conference...and a member of the anti-SEC/ESPN coalition. That's just football...the new Big 12 is going to be a beast in basketball.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
The new Big 12 isn't becoming a lessor conference. Basically, it will be on par with both the ACC and Pac 12. Yes, far behind the SEC and BIG, but still a viable power conference...and a member of the anti-SEC/ESPN coalition. That's just football...the new Big 12 is going to be a beast in basketball.
Agree.

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

I’m guessing the Big12 didn’t want to be at 8 teams for 10 years until the ACC becomes poachable. And the whole recent B1G/ACC/PAC alliance probably entails “don’t poach us”.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

If the original Big 12 had never fractured it would have been in position to add some teams from Pac, ACC or AAC from the original 12. It could have tried to keep up with Big Ten and SEC at least a little...in part because OU/Texas/A&M/Missou/Neb/CU would all still be on board. Not hard at all to imagine the original 12 adding 2-4 schools from AZ/CA/Utah in that scenario, it might even still happen.

The reality is this new B12 can likely keep up with Pac and ACC, especially when the ACC gets poached exactly like we did because it's going to happen for sure. The three others will not keep $ pace with SEC and Big Ten. We'll see what that means for college sports. Those three conferences and their schools all still generate gobs of money. At some point the $ in SEC/Big Ten is just ridiculous for a "non profit" to try to spread around.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Really though? We were left out of the Alliance. Is ESPN not the one footing our bill now? Not sure how that 26 million breaks down between FOX/ESPN, but it seems to me that we’re smack in the middle of making a deal with the devil.

cyzygy11

Oct 27, 2007
Cherokee, Iowa
The big question: After the realignment dust has settled, will the Big XII still be considered a "power" conference ? I have a sick feeling the other Power 4 conferences will lock us out, leaving us as the same status as the Mountain West, the AAC, the MAC, and (shiver) the Sun Belt. I feel that way because the teams we adding are from the other non-power conferences. I hope I'm wrong about this. What do you think? Do these additions keep us "power five"?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The big question: After the realignment dust has settled, will the Big XII still be considered a "power" conference ? I have a sick feeling the other Power 4 conferences will lock us out, leaving us as the same status as the Mountain West, the AAC, the MAC, and (shiver) the Sun Belt. I feel that way because the teams we adding are from the other non-power conferences. I hope I'm wrong about this. What do you think? Do these additions keep us "power five"?

Will retain P5 status. Will need to win on the field to keep that status. PAC 12 might even be weaker. And ACC has a horrendous deal. If Clemson is no longer a National power the ACC could screwed too.

• Winner
Reactions: WhoISthis

gohawkd

Sep 10, 2021
As you can see I'm an Iowa fan and don't think State has a chance of getting into the Big Ten. Not a knock on Iowa State but if Iowa were on the outside looking in it would be the same way. Just not enough people or TVs in the state to warrant two schools. Just my opinion and sad fact.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
As you can see I'm an Iowa fan and don't think State has a chance of getting into the Big Ten. Not a knock on Iowa State but if Iowa were on the outside looking in it would be the same way. Just not enough people or TVs in the state to warrant two schools. Just my opinion and sad fact.

I see where you're coming from with a B1G West perspective, but I think Iowa is different in the level of support it gives to its college teams compared to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois in that there are no pro teams to siphon interest and money. Population wise it hurts yeah, but that can and is being offset by poaching from nearby states right now.

If Nebraska ever becomes a regional power again that could squeeze one of the schools out, but given how national recruiting has become I don't think it has to as long as ISU and Iowa maintain their strong brand identities.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
It's just so unfortunate that college sports are going away from regional conferences and matchups. Your casual fan cannot travel across the country for a game. What makes college athletics great is passion and the regional rivalries. As much as people talk about hating games like the cyhawk, it is what makes college sports great. When you have two programs that dislike each other on the field, it brings out your best and that's my favorite part of college sports.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021

How bad is your life that joined this site to post this nonsense?