Big men at iowa state...

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
He has only had 10 games with 4 or more fouls this year, and tbh more than half have been bs calls. He has actually cut down on the fouling a bunch this season.

he’s averaging the most fouls per game of his career and is 2nd in the big 12 in overall fouls. How’s that cutting down?

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
I see a lot of potential in Rob Jones......I see the issues, also, but I think they are fixable. His up close misses are either from not being aware of where he is in relation to the basket, or not finishing strong enough to draw the foul......a coach can work with those things. He has had some great games this season, he is always working hard, and he is more aggressive than Conditt.
Even though he missed that "bunny" last night it was preceded by an awesome pass to Hunter for the score, a hard fought defensive rebound and an offensive rebound. Also a lot of Brockington's and Hunter's rebounds are made possible because he has his guy blocked out.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Accurate, Jones missed an absolute bunny last night, and he missed it by a freaking mile.

Sigh. I remember in the Floyd days, he told Cato something to the extent of "dunk every time." I think his philosophy was you'll make the bucket and draw a foul or just draw a foul. Shrug - I'm not as well versed as many here, but I'd rather see an attempt at a dunk than missing the bunny all the time. Again, maybe we don't have the personnel to do that, but...

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
he’s averaging the most fouls per game of his career and is 2nd in the big 12 in overall fouls. How’s that cutting down?
He’s playing a lot more than previously to be fair.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
It is a really good post. It does seem like great, true 5 players are few and far between at ISU. Seems like we rely more on talented 4 players to score inside like Niang and Fizer (and Grayer, et al).

I am sure I am forgetting quite a few, and cannot go back to the Abdul-Aziz days, but a shortlist of talented 5's:

Big Vic
Cato
Brackins
Vroman
Homan
Loren Meyer

And Big Vic seems about the last one that was a true dominant, low block scoring threat.

Would have been interesting to see how Foster would have played out.
When I think of Victor, I always think back to a Big (8?) tourney game against Mizzou. We scored like 19 points in the first half, and in a quiet moment, Johnny lost his cool, stamped his feet a few times, and yelled, "Gxx Dammit, Victor!!, look at the hoop!!" You could hear it clear as a bell in Kemper. The crowd proceeded to laugh in unison. We went on to win that game. :) Love me some Johnny and Victor moments.

Reactions: CascadeClone

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
It is a really good post. It does seem like great, true 5 players are few and far between at ISU. Seems like we rely more on talented 4 players to score inside like Niang and Fizer (and Grayer, et al).

I am sure I am forgetting quite a few, and cannot go back to the Abdul-Aziz days, but a shortlist of talented 5's:

Big Vic
Cato
Brackins
Vroman
Homan
Loren Meyer

And Big Vic seems about the last one that was a true dominant, low block scoring threat.

Vic was great but was a liability as well. The team was built to run, Vic could not run, but could score down low over any one.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I was really impressed with the way he kept his cool last night. That Lampkin guy was really running his mouth the entire game. Conditt just kept his mouth shut and kept grinding and look who came out with a win, not the hothead "you can't ******* stop me" guy.
This was posted online. Guy said he was walking by the busses behind the arena at the time. GC has a big heart, IB has a big everything.

1645034985300.png

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Idk what the heck has happened with Bob but he’s been essentially unplayable lately. George has been “okay”.

Hope TJ goes after some legit big men in the portal. I know there will be a lot of suitors after them but getting a big that’s not a liability 75% of the time would be a breath of fresh air.

It's so weird, because 2 weeks ago Jones was playing better than George and I was glad he played more. But not now, obviously. He hustles and tries hard, tho. Wish his talent level matched his desire.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

Big Vic
Cato
Brackins
Vroman
Homan
Loren Meyer

You forgot Stu Nezlek . . . . . :jimlad:

• Haha
Reactions: RonBurgundy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Mike Jacobson was a very under appreciated big. He played hard, and had some decent skill on the block. CSP just didn't use him correctly. He tried to make him a stretch 4 so Solo could post up in the paint. That was not his strength.

Prohm had the unfortunate circumstance of Young and Jacobson being two of his five best men but not really fitting together on the court at the same time.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
K state has 6 guys that are 6'9" or taller, 6 of them...

None of their tall guys seem too skilled, just slightly better than George Conditt. Heck, even, Lampkin from TCU only averages a little over 8pts per game. It's a guard-dominant game, unfortunately. But when a team can get an elite post player, it's a huge advantage—Luka Garza, Kockburn, etc. Maybe Otz should ask for help from Mcaffery on post players...only slightly serious.

Reactions: maciues

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Conditt is one of the best passers on the team. 11 assists and 2 turnovers in his last 2 games.
He's second to Hunter in assist rate. He's turned it over pretty frequently this year, but he's also not someone who can dribble drive from 25 feet out and yet routinely gets the ball there.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If nothing else, TJ's commitment to running the offense thru the bigs should be a real selling point this off-seaon in the transfer portal.
Well, except for the fact that all the bigs do is stand out on the perimeter and hand the ball off or pass it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron