Big men at iowa state...

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Was that the putback? He got the rebound in traffic, but ended up straight legged, then threw it up out of rhythm on his jump. Way too hard off the backboard. Half a pump fake, little bit of contact, just all out of sorts. It happens.
that missed layup reminded me of Ryan Spangler absolutely missing a wide open bunny against us in the Big 12 tourney....hit the backboard but was not even close to going in lol

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not sure I'd consider Ejim or Hogue as big men.

Bart Torvik classifies them as...

Ejim = "Wing F" "PF/C"
Hogue = "Wing F"
Niang = "Wing G" and "Wing F"

I guess it depends on if you want to focus on the "forward" part or the "wing" part.

I consider them essentially big men, though, unless the OP meant only true centers.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Somewhat to answer the OP, big men are always overvalued in recruiting. Or I should say, a 6'11 guy ranked 20th is nowhere near as ready to play as a wing ranked 20th. So you tend to see highly ranked big guys concentrated at the traditional powers.

Second, as far as GC goes, he was like the 325th ranked recruit, so it's not like he was expected to have some high ceiling. Basically he came in and was a solid contributor right away. Things have not exactly been stable during his tenure, so he deserves some slack, there. Plus, even when it was good, to say Prohm's offense was not big-centric is an understatement.

The guy loves ISU, plays hard, and apparently from day 1 brought the intensity to practice, maybe to the dislike of some of our other players at the time. I'll take a GC on my team any day.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
Why cant we get them? I mean it has been a trend with multiple coaches...Jameel Mckay is the best big man we have had in the last 10 years now. Royce was good as well but those 2 combined for 2.5 seasons. Why dont big men recruits want to come here? Or why is it when they do they get in trouble and dont pan out? (Xavier, Cam Lard, Conditt)

There's not that many people of that size in general, so typically, only the best teams will get the most talented players from that group. We usually have to take chances on players like that (poor character, low grades, underdeveloped, etc). Also, there's likely a premium on coaches who are highly skilled at developing post players.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Somewhat to answer the OP, big men are always overvalued in recruiting. Or I should say, a 6'11 guy ranked 20th is nowhere near as ready to play as a wing ranked 20th. So you tend to see highly ranked big guys concentrated at the traditional powers.

Second, as far as GC goes, he was like the 325th ranked recruit, so it's not like he was expected to have some high ceiling. Basically he came in and was a solid contributor right away. Things have not exactly been stable during his tenure, so he deserves some slack, there. Plus, even when it was good, to say Prohm's offense was not big-centric is an understatement.

The guy loves ISU, plays hard, and apparently from day 1 brought the intensity to practice, maybe to the dislike of some of our other players at the time. I'll take a GC on my team any day.
I was really impressed with the way he kept his cool last night. That Lampkin guy was really running his mouth the entire game. Conditt just kept his mouth shut and kept grinding and look who came out with a win, not the hothead "you can't ******* stop me" guy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Yeah, I know he's not going to win B12 CPOTY, but I think we've already gotten more out of George than we thought we would given his pedigree coming into the program. Plus, love a legacy like that.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Yeah I think he has made solid contributions this year if he can stay out of foul trouble.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Idk what the heck has happened with Bob but he’s been essentially unplayable lately. George has been “okay”.

Hope TJ goes after some legit big men in the portal. I know there will be a lot of suitors after them but getting a big that’s not a liability 75% of the time would be a breath of fresh air.
Yeah Rob had a stretch of games where he was really playing well and seemed to be making strides but the last few he's really fallen off. Not sure what happened.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I was really impressed with the way he kept his cool last night. That Lampkin guy was really running his mouth the entire game. Conditt just kept his mouth shut and kept working and look who came out with a win, not the hothead "you can't ******* stop me" guy.
Idk what kind of drugs Lampkin was on but that dude would score and go absolutely wild like he just won the NBA finals or something lol...he was very enthusiastic

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah Rob had a stretch of games where he was really playing well and seemed to be making strides but the last few he's really fallen off. Not sure what happened.
Could be a confidence thing. He does do well defensively. Just please Bob make a damn layup lol.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Idk what kind of drugs Lampkin was on but that dude would score and go absolutely wild like he just won the NBA finals or something lol...he was very enthusiastic

I actually didn't mind it. Let the kids have fun. The enthusiasm improves the viewing experience.

I know it would *never* happen, but I'd pay some decent money for the court to be mic'd up. I can barely imagine the hilarious trash and creative profanity we're missing in our audio every game.

Reactions: loyalsons4evertrue

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I actually didn't mind it. Let the kids have fun. The enthusiasm improves the viewing experience.

I know it would *never* happen, but I'd pay some decent money for the court to be mic'd up. I can barely imagine the hilarious trash and creative profanity we're missing in our audio every game.
I'm surprised those rim mics don't pick up post chatter

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
It seems to me that ever since the Hoiberg days we have primarily tried to recruit mostly bigs that can run the floor, pass well, and shoot from outside which are really hard to find. Not sure if a traditional big man like you see at Purdue or IL would thrive in this offense. Yes, I realize you can change your offense but the rest of the team is more built to play small ball.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Conditt actually is a pretty good passer at times. He has the second highest assist rate on the roster, behind only Hunter. He's not much of a threat to score from the high post and there have been far too many turnovers but he at least brings... a little from that spot. I don't think it should be as big a part of the offense as it is, and especially not with Jones however.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020

oh my they'd have to censor so much stuff haha

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
It is a really good post. It does seem like great, true 5 players are few and far between at ISU. Seems like we rely more on talented 4 players to score inside like Niang and Fizer (and Grayer, et al).

I am sure I am forgetting quite a few, and cannot go back to the Abdul-Aziz days, but a shortlist of talented 5's:

Big Vic
Cato
Brackins
Vroman
Homan
Loren Meyer

And Big Vic seems about the last one that was a true dominant, low block scoring threat.

Would have been interesting to see how Foster would have played out.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

But it’s the passers fault

There were low passes last night to be fair.

Also ISU's bigs don't have great hands (putting it mildly) to start so down low in traffic isn't as simple.

That said there was a bit more rolling to the basket last night which seemed to help.

Reactions: RezClone