Big men at iowa state...

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Thats how the offense ran when we had Niang and it was beautiful. George Conditt and robert jones isnt even close to Niang lol
Didn't think about this. Is Otz trying to run Hoiball without any offensive talent? You might have just solved the riddle.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Vroman (RIP) had plenty of fun in our college years, he has got to have some illegitimate offspring nearing college commitment age. We could use some of that double-double energy down low.

Reactions: Ayagi

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Conditt actually is a pretty good passer at times. He has the second highest assist rate on the roster, behind only Hunter. He's not much of a threat to score from the high post and there have been far too many turnovers but he at least brings... a little from that spot. I don't think it should be as big a part of the offense as it is, and especially not with Jones however.
Agree. I don’t think the problem is Condits passing. It’s spacing and how far he is from the basket. Too often he’s 25-30 feet away which is too far to initiate offense.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
There's not that many people of that size in general, so typically, only the best teams will get the most talented players from that group. We usually have to take chances on players like that (poor character, low grades, underdeveloped, etc). Also, there's likely a premium on coaches who are highly skilled at developing post players.
K state has 6 guys that are 6'9" or taller, 6 of them...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It is a really good post. It does seem like great, true 5 players are few and far between at ISU. Seems like we rely more on talented 4 players to score inside like Niang and Fizer (and Grayer, et al).

I am sure I am forgetting quite a few, and cannot go back to the Abdul-Aziz days, but a shortlist of talented 5's:

Big Vic
Cato
Brackins
Vroman
Homan
Loren Meyer

And Big Vic seems about the last one that was a true dominant, low block scoring threat.

Would have been interesting to see how Foster would have played out.

I would argue Brackins was a "4." He started alongside Justin Hamilton.

A good version of Foster was never going to be a back-to-the-basket guy.

The best version of him was Marial Shayok but he's 7' tall.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
That was regarding the pass Conditt picked off in the last few mins of the game. What are you trying to get at?
Tweeted at 9:12pm. Was not in last few min of game

He was making an excuse for why Conditt had a turnover.

92D4EE64-597A-41D7-93DC-EE4A02E0E3A0.jpeg

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
George has been a great Cyclone, but he got destroyed last night by a fat kid with a side pony tail. For some reason he seems a little lost out there. Robert Jones at least can D up guys and not get pushed around, but man offensively, he is brutal. Either one of them isn't going to make a shot unless it's a dunk. I don't know how you can be playing post at this level and not develop a single post move. Where is the baby hook, the up and under? Put some pressure on the defense and kick it out?

Reactions: Cyclones125

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Agree. I don’t think the problem is Condits passing. It’s spacing and how far he is from the basket. Too often he’s 25-30 feet away which is too far to initiate offense.

I think he's a good passer when the opportunities are there. In addition to him sometimes being too far from the basket, I also think sometimes he just doesn't have any idea what to do with the ball if the main passing options aren't there for him. That's where a lot of his turnovers have come, when teams stop the first couple options and he waits too long or has to try to do something with the ball.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Is he better this year than last year? Hes still fouling at an alarming level, hes still making horrible passes, and he isnt scoring or blocking shots.
He has only had 10 games with 4 or more fouls this year, and tbh more than half have been bs calls. He has actually cut down on the fouling a bunch this season.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and Pat

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Why cant we get them? I mean it has been a trend with multiple coaches...Jameel Mckay is the best big man we have had in the last 10 years now. Royce was good as well but those 2 combined for 2.5 seasons. Why dont big men recruits want to come here? Or why is it when they do they get in trouble and dont pan out? (Xavier, Cam Lard, Conditt)
Mike Jacobson was a very under appreciated big. He played hard, and had some decent skill on the block. CSP just didn't use him correctly. He tried to make him a stretch 4 so Solo could post up in the paint. That was not his strength.