Status
Not open for further replies.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I agree with you on the 10 team league. I love the B12 as currently constructed, wish Mizzou and Aggy stayed put but WVU and TCU will be capable replacements. I am hoping that the only reason expansion occurs is if ND is involved as a full member.

If all conferences had that format it would be great. But it kills us not to have a Championship game as we seen this year... Unless you are content with the Big12 rarely having team playing in the NC and only want one BCS Bowl representative most years.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
If all conferences had that format it would be great. But it kills us not to have a Championship game as we seen this year... Unless you are content with the Big12 rarely having team playing in the NC and only want one BCS Bowl representative most years.

Plus, that extra conference game can be a real killer. Just ask OSU how much nicer it would have been if we were on the rotation where they didn't have to play us this year.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reactions: cyfanatic

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Would be sweet and makes way too much sense for that to happen. But no way any conference agrees to do this. Wish there was a way the NCAA could interfere and get that done.

I like the idea in theory, and I think he generally had the right idea with how things laid out, but it definitely needs some tweaking. A couple things I noticed:

• He included Drake, and I'm assuming other Pioneer league teams, even though they do not play scholarship football.
  • The Ohio Valley conference only has 5 teams (basically the third tier in the Big Ten stack is a mess)
  • The strong likelihood that two south teams would win the "Mountain West" divisions causing divisional re-alignment in the Big 12 almost every year.
  • Same issue in the Pac-12 stack going from the Great West to the WAC.
It would be interesting (and kind of fun I think) but there is no way it ever happens.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I like the idea in theory, and I think he generally had the right idea with how things laid out, but it definitely needs some tweaking. A couple things I noticed:

• He included Drake, and I'm assuming other Pioneer league teams, even though they do not play scholarship football.
  • The Ohio Valley conference only has 5 teams (basically the third tier in the Big Ten stack is a mess)
  • The strong likelihood that two south teams would win the "Mountain West" divisions causing divisional re-alignment in the Big 12 almost every year.
It would be interesting (and kind of fun I think) but there is no way it ever happens.

American pro sports would benefit more from European style relegation systems in my opinion. It only gets brought up as a college football solution because the current system of a two team playoff from 120 teams is so dumb.

You want to pull a Florida Marlins and sell off your whole team? Hope you enjoy playing in the minor leagues the next season. You want to tank your season for a better NBA or NFL draft pick, enjoy that player while you play games in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

The best part of relegation in college football would be punishing teams when they cheat. Relegating cheating teams in soccer is common, if their fans misbehave playing home games at an empty stadium is common as well.

Let Ohio State and Auburn play a season in FCS to earn their way back up after they cheated their way to the top.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

How did not having the championship game kill OSU this season? Beating OU on the final weekend helped OSU a helluva lot more than beating one of the former North teams.

B12 history has shown the FB Championship did more harm than good relative to placing teams in the BCS championship game and BCS bowl games. And B10 history has clearly shown that the B10 was better off without the conference championship game relative to placing teams in BCS bowls.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011

It's an interesting thought exercise, but you're right...nothing like this will ever take place. By my estimation, the only teams that are in a better position after this realignment are Iowa State, Boise State, and BYU. At least sixteen teams are worse off in this scenario (either through relegation to a lesser conference, or realignment to a conference they left). D.O.A.

Relegation would be an interesting concept, but it would have some unintended side effects. The money war in college athletics would be accelerated, since teams wouldn't have the guaranteed stability of a major conference. The team that are on top would spend heavily to stay there, and the lesser teams would require even more resources to climb up.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm sure this thread will pop back up eventually, once b12 expansion to 12 rolls around.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Eventually the 2012 football schedules will have to be released by the realigned conferences. That should be an interesting day.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
IMO, a relegation system in NCAA would not work at all, even if it was only for football. Relegation doesnt stop greed at all, look at the European soccer leagues. There is an ever increasing gap between the bottom teams and the top teams.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Anyone else hear on Rival radio the TCU guy suggest they will have the top QB in the conference next year, should win 10+ games, and be a conference favorite? We'll see.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Anyone else hear on Rival radio the TCU guy suggest they will have the top QB in the conference next year, should win 10+ games, and be a conference favorite? We'll see.

Honestly, I might have to agree with that statement minus the top QB and that is only because I don't know who their QB is going to be next year. With the addition of TCU and West Virginia, the Big 12 just added two top tier teams and two potential conference favorites.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Honestly, I might have to agree with that statement minus the top QB and that is only because I don't know who their QB is going to be next year.

With insight like that, you could be a guest blogger for Bleacher Report.

Not to be an ***, but if you do not even know that TCU returns Pachall at QB, what do you know about TCU being a conference favorite?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
IMO, a relegation system in NCAA would not work at all, even if it was only for football. Relegation doesnt stop greed at all, look at the European soccer leagues. There is an ever increasing gap between the bottom teams and the top teams.

Particularly the English Premier League. Since EPL's inception in 1992, there have been a grand total of 4 champions - Manchester United (12), Arsenal (3), Chelsea (3), and Blackburn Rovers (1).

Everyone in Europe thinks relegation is the answer to all of sporting's wrongs, but they're blinded to their own problems (most notably, they riot a hell of a lot more than we do in the States)...

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
How did not having the championship game kill OSU this season? Beating OU on the final weekend helped OSU a helluva lot more than beating one of the former North teams.

B12 history has shown the FB Championship did more harm than good relative to placing teams in the BCS championship game and BCS bowl games. And B10 history has clearly shown that the B10 was better off without the conference championship game relative to placing teams in BCS bowls.

This year a championship game would have propelled OSU to the #2 spot, adding someone like K-State again to your SOS after clubbing OU would have done it. Varies every year whether or not it benefits you. I would say the Big 12 has made out better with the championship game. Look at OU in 2003, they lost the game and still went to the NC. How about 2001, Nebbie did not even make the game yet made it to the NC.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This year a championship game would have propelled OSU to the #2 spot, adding someone like K-State again to your SOS after clubbing OU would have done it. Varies every year whether or not it benefits you. I would say the Big 12 has made out better with the championship game. Look at OU in 2003, they lost the game and still went to the NC. How about 2001, Nebbie did not even make the game yet made it to the NC.

I'm a proponent of going back to 12 and bringing back the championship game, but it works both ways. All you have to do is look at Missouri and Kansas State, who both went undefeated until losing in the championship game, and didn't even make the BCS as a result.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Disagree. Having a championship game would NOT have propelled OSU to the NC game. They beat Oklahoma convincingly. And still did not make it. Beating KSU (again, because they already beat them once), who did not even get a BCS invite, would not have helped. The Media was obsessed with the overrated SEC. It will be funny if OSU trounces Stanford and Alabama wins a squeaker in OT by a 9-6 score.

Status
Not open for further replies.