*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Assuming that they fill the schedule with 3 more MAC- or WAC-quality teams, does anybody here think it's IMPOSSIBLE that Mizzou matches it's record from this year (7-5)?

I know we've had a lot of fun bantering about how Mizzou will get killed in the SEC, but does this seem like Murderer's Row? Sure they'll get blown up by Bama, and probably SoCar and Georgia too, but the rest? Vandy and Kentucky at home? TAMU? That and the OOC is probably 6-7 wins right there.

Wow, 6 or 7 wins. Way to set the bar high.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Well, there's only 9 games listed, so 3 of those 4 OPEN dates will be filled. I'm guessing the Nov OPEN date will be Cupcake U @ Columbia.[/QUOTE]

As of right now, KU hasn't responded to Missouri's invitation to schedule a game.

Wait...were you referring to a generic Cupcake U?

Did all of the 1,800 Mizzou fans that went to the Independence Bowl make it back home safely?

I think it is awesome that Mizzou was able to keep their record of poor fan support in bowl games intact. That should really help you in the SEC next year.

PS. And make out the exit fee check for $100 million. If WVU is able to play next year we will issue you a partial refund.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I am just not a fan of the idea of a league larger than 12. And to be honest, after the fun of the round-robin schedule this year, I wouldn't mind seeing the conference stay at 10 quality teams, even though it makes ISU's path to a football championship much, much harder.

It was just more fun this year following all the teams. I didn't have that disconnect from the South division. I never really needed to follow them much at all when we were set up in divisions.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Let me jump on the bandwagon as well. I was excited for round robin scheduling this year and it passed expectations.

But if 16 teams with ND and BYU means $35 million/team, well fine.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
After this year i remember one of the reasons i miss the old big 8. Round robin. I cared about all teams every week. Haven't felt that way since big 8 days.

Yeah, I don't like 9 conference games, but I did really like playing every team in the conference. I think that round robin in football is very good for the long term health of the conference.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I loved the round robin this year. Keeps your interest in the other teams. Made we want to watch the other teams in the conference, I skipped Mo's game, but sounds like so did their fans. Makes the conference seem more united and not just our little group up north and those teams from the south.

If the negotiations for tier one happen now, will their be a clause if we go to 12 or will this speed it up?

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Trying to keep this thread alive ... gotta get to 20K. What do people think of the rumors of getting a new TV contract early and potentially getting ND and going to 16 teams? Sounds plausible to me.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/big-xii-conference/137069-good-news.html

If Mizzoulander was indeed banned, I think 20,000 will be tough to reach. Anytime any real news comes out somebody will start a new thread. If you added up all the side threads involved in realignment the last half of 2011, this would easily be at 22,000+

I loved the round robin this year. Keeps your interest in the other teams. Made we want to watch the other teams in the conference, I skipped Mo's game, but sounds like so did their fans. Makes the conference seem more united and not just our little group up north and those teams from the south.

Round Robin is really the way to go. Trying to get to 16 is really saying we like having a Big 8 conference, plus the benefits of a TV network to show lower tier inventory, plus the exposure of a conference championship game. Conferences that go to 16 will find out there are a boatload of unintended consequences of splitting your conference in two (or fours) once you're at the death star size of 16 or 18.

If the negotiations for tier one happen now, will their be a clause if we go to 12 or will this speed it up?

I seriously doubt Tier 1 is getting renegotiated early if the Big 12 has decided they're going to expand before 2016. The only way ABC has brought it up is to see if they can cut NBC out of the market early. But yes, you'd assume that if it was renegotiated that there'd be some serious "out" clauses on both the sides of the conference and the TV networks.

I hope there is a braintrust involved in the Big 12 who is seriously talking about the positives and negatives of expanding or staying at 10. I think it'd be great to stay at 10 if you really knew everybody was committed. I would think that that the B12 TV contracts could be in the same range as any other BCS conference (minus the Big East), so money shouldn't be an excuse to leave.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If Mizzoulander was indeed banned, I think 20,000 will be tough to reach. Anytime any real news comes out somebody will start a new thread. If you added up all the side threads involved in realignment the last half of 2011, this would easily be at 22,000+

Round Robin is really the way to go. Trying to get to 16 is really saying we like having a Big 8 conference, plus the benefits of a TV network to show lower tier inventory, plus the exposure of a conference championship game. Conferences that go to 16 will find out there are a boatload of unintended consequences of splitting your conference in two (or fours) once you're at the death star size of 16 or 18.

I seriously doubt Tier 1 is getting renegotiated early if the Big 12 has decided they're going to expand before 2016. The only way ABC has brought it up is to see if they can cut NBC out of the market early. But yes, you'd assume that if it was renegotiated that there'd be some serious "out" clauses on both the sides of the conference and the TV networks.

I hope there is a braintrust involved in the Big 12 who is seriously talking about the positives and negatives of expanding or staying at 10. I think it'd be great to stay at 10 if you really knew everybody was committed. I would think that that the B12 TV contracts could be in the same range as any other BCS conference (minus the Big East), so money shouldn't be an excuse to leave.

When negotiating multi-billion dollar contracts, most major financial topics are usually left to chance with little to no discussion.

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
This

.....alas.... The thread will not die.....

This is the thread that will not end...
It'll go on and on my friend...

Pterodonta_deffisi_syntype_Coll_MNHN_B19217.jpg

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

I am also a big fan of the 10-team round robin format and would like to see things stay that way unless ND gets engaged as a full member and the TV payouts increase even more with them.

Best case scenario is for the B12 and NBC agree on a new deal with ND as a full member and NBC Sports Net becoming a 3rd tier provider for FB and 2nd tier provider for MBB. But it appears that ESPN/ABC are smart enough to see that also and will do everything to prevent a B12/NBC deal from happening by opening up negotiations early and potentially giving the conference a big signing bonus to get a deal done very soon.

One can safely assume all scenarios will be explored in terms of 10, 12, 14 or 16 teams with (in preferred order) ND, Louisville, BYU, Rutgers, UConn and Cincy/Tulane/USF all being discussed. I'll be shocked if there is expansion beyond 12 and I'll be mildly surprised if there is expansion without ND as a full member.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
There is some new notre dame talk out there. Some message board "I have connections" type folk claiming they may be interested in a conference with a tv package like the big XII

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
I am also a big fan of the 10-team round robin format and would like to see things stay that way unless ND gets engaged as a full member and the TV payouts increase even more with them.

Best case scenario is for the B12 and NBC agree on a new deal with ND as a full member and NBC Sports Net becoming a 3rd tier provider for FB and 2nd tier provider for MBB. But it appears that ESPN/ABC are smart enough to see that also and will do everything to prevent a B12/NBC deal from happening by opening up negotiations early and potentially giving the conference a big signing bonus to get a deal done very soon.

One can safely assume all scenarios will be explored in terms of 10, 12, 14 or 16 teams with (in preferred order) ND, Louisville, BYU, Rutgers, UConn and Cincy/Tulane/USF all being discussed. I'll be shocked if there is expansion beyond 12 and I'll be mildly surprised if there is expansion without ND as a full member.

Of course, right now 3rd tier rights lie with the individual schools, not the conference.

Question is, how many contracts would need to be broken/bought out in order for that to happen? LHN is considered 3rd tier provider for UT FB (idk about MBB designation). Most other current Big 12 schools have or are making CloneZone-like internet subscription services that are considered 3rd tier/2nd tier networks (I would certainly agree that those deals could be dealt with). I just don't see UT giving up that certain $15M (or was it $20M) per year from ESPN - need that NBC contract to exceed that.

hobbes

Feb 20, 2010
Chicago

link

"Posted: 12/29/2011 5:36 PM
INfo to chew on.....
Third: Big12 is trying to push the new TV talks up now to determine what kind of package can be put together with a 16 team conference..... with Notre Dame, BYU, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis and South Florida (need for recruiting) as the 6 leading candidates. UConn has openly said it wants an ACC invite, and if the B12 goes to 16 they'll get it.... and probably Rutgers, too. And don't scoff at Notre Dame - they know the BE is done - have close ties with Texas - and have long said if they were to join a conference, they would want to be in it with Texas. They would bring a huge payday to ALL conference members and ESPN/Fox are eager to talk about the numbers to see how this would work. Chuck Neinas has been instructed to "set his sights on that prize - everything else is just filler." If the Big12 and Texas can reel in Notre Dame look for each school to profit in the $35mil a year neighborhood. The Pac12 would have schools like Boise, Hawaii, Nevada, SDSU and Air Force to pick from. ACC would be limited to UConn and Rutgers joining Pitt and Cuse (or ECU, UCF, Southern Miss) - no real jump in quality there. The Big10 would really not have much to choose from either to improve quality at that point. It's no secret though the SEC would like to get into North Carolina and Virginia. For a conference which was dying less than a year ago, the Big12 could potentially swing to have the biggest coup of all if they act now."

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Of course, right now 3rd tier rights lie with the individual schools, not the conference.

Question is, how many contracts would need to be broken/bought out in order for that to happen? LHN is considered 3rd tier provider for UT FB (idk about MBB designation). Most other current Big 12 schools have or are making CloneZone-like internet subscription services that are considered 3rd tier/2nd tier networks (I would certainly agree that those deals could be dealt with). I just don't see UT giving up that certain $15M (or was it $20M) per year from ESPN - need that NBC contract to exceed that.

I'm sure Texas would be fine giving up the LHN if NBC will pay each school over $20 million for 3rd tier rights (highly unlikely), but I'm pretty sure ESPN won't just tear up the contract.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
link

"Posted: 12/29/2011 5:36 PM
INfo to chew on.....
Third: Big12 is trying to push the new TV talks up now to determine what kind of package can be put together with a 16 team conference..... with Notre Dame, BYU, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis and South Florida (need for recruiting) as the 6 leading candidates. UConn has openly said it wants an ACC invite, and if the B12 goes to 16 they'll get it.... and probably Rutgers, too. And don't scoff at Notre Dame - they know the BE is done - have close ties with Texas - and have long said if they were to join a conference, they would want to be in it with Texas. They would bring a huge payday to ALL conference members and ESPN/Fox are eager to talk about the numbers to see how this would work. Chuck Neinas has been instructed to "set his sights on that prize - everything else is just filler." If the Big12 and Texas can reel in Notre Dame look for each school to profit in the $35mil a year neighborhood. The Pac12 would have schools like Boise, Hawaii, Nevada, SDSU and Air Force to pick from. ACC would be limited to UConn and Rutgers joining Pitt and Cuse (or ECU, UCF, Southern Miss) - no real jump in quality there. The Big10 would really not have much to choose from either to improve quality at that point. It's no secret though the SEC would like to get into North Carolina and Virginia. For a conference which was dying less than a year ago, the Big12 could potentially swing to have the biggest coup of all if they act now."

Interesting post. Did anyone catch the first two tidbits there in the link?
First: WVU WILL BE PLAYING IN THE BIG12 NEXT SEASON...
A) An injunction cannot be levied for breaking a performance contract;
B)WVU is merely trying to get out with the lowest possible payout as possible (preferably the monies paid to date) by dragging the BE dirty laundry out into the open courts (things like mis-management, and they still owe us a substantial sum of money for past sporting events); Now, let's please move on - we are B12 in 2012.

Second: The two BB schools looking to form a new league are G-town and Nova. They are now convinced that their strong BB reputations will be tarnished forever if they stay aligned with Meatball and the Providence mafia. They have been talking with the likes of Butler, Xavier, GW, Dayton, Richmond, George Mason, VCU and others. Would also like St. John's to join them (to keep the Garden for the tourney).

Even if the WV poster you linked does have inside info, 90% chance nothing he mentioned actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron