*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Big 12 deal is going to be bigger than the Pac 12 deal, which was already significantly bigger than the SEC deal. Just wait for it.

The SEC is desperate to get their TV deal re-opened. They are currently scheduled to be the last girl at the Tier I dance--at least last since it was discovered how DVR proof college football is for advertisers. I believe this is their main motivation for expansion as the landscape sits today.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
First of all, his name is Deaton...second, your posts are just as annoying and even less informed than Mizzoulander's are. You have no clue what you are talking about, please stop posting....end rant.

Agree completely. I bet he still thinks that "Tammy is waiting at the bus stop". 36,000+ posts and not one of them resembling coherent thought.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Agree completely. I bet he still thinks that "Tammy is waiting at the bus stop". 36,000+ posts and not one of them resembling coherent thought.
The wait is still on. Schedules have not been released.

aTm may have escaped by subbing TCU, but Misery needs to fork over more money if WVU is trapped for awhile.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The wait is still on. Schedules have not been released.

aTm may have escaped by subbing TCU, but Misery needs to fork over more money if WVU is trapped for awhile.

Sometimes I have no idea what you are talking about and your posts are so confusing. What is your point? Missouri is gone either this year or next year.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Big East expansion update:

I saw Navy says they'll join the Big East, but not for several years due to their existing TV contracts.

Navy prepared to join Big East, just not for a while - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

That would put the Big East at 11 temporarily until the Big12/ACC takes UConn/Rutgers/Louisville. Looks like Memphis, Temple, and East Carolina are the only semi-viable options out there since BYU said no, and Air Force has reportedly said no along with Army.

Air Force tells Big East it's staying in Mountain West - The Denver Post

As far as the Mountain West-C-USA merger, there are currently scheduled to be 8 Mountain West teams left (after Hawaii/Fresno St/Nevada join next season) along with 9 C-USA teams left. I bet Memphis gets the nod from C-USA to join the Big East though to put the new Big Country Conference at 16 (C-USA-Mtn West merger conference).

I wonder if these conference shake-ups will ever stop. Even in 8-10 years, will 16 team conferences be enough? Will 16-18 teams prove too large and split in half? Will the disparity between the have and the have nots in the super conferences cause the haves to eventually split off and join their own super-mega conference of USC-Texas-Michigan-Alabama-Florida-Ohio State-Oklahoma-Notre Dame conference?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I saw Navy says they'll join the Big East, but not for several years due to their existing TV contracts.

Navy prepared to join Big East, just not for a while - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

That would put the Big East at 11 temporarily until the Big12/ACC takes UConn/Rutgers/Louisville. Looks like Memphis, Temple, and East Carolina are the only semi-viable options out there since BYU said no, and Air Force has reportedly said no along with Army.

As far as the Mountain West-C-USA merger, there are currently scheduled to be 8 Mountain West teams left (after Hawaii/Fresno St/Nevada join next season) along with 9 C-USA teams left. I bet Memphis gets the nod from C-USA to join the Big East though to put the new Big Country Conference at 16 (C-USA-Mtn West merger conference).

I wonder if these conference shake-ups will ever stop. Even in 8-10 years, will 16 team conferences be enough? Will 16-18 teams prove too large and split in half? Will the disparity between the have and the have nots in the super conferences cause the haves to eventually split off and join their own super-mega conference of USC-Texas-Michigan-Alabama-Florida-Ohio State-Oklahoma-Notre Dame conference?

I think it's going to be high drama when a sixteen-team SEC ends up splitting in two and they have to decide which teams go where.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Interesting.

The thing is, the big boys will always need someone they can beat consistently. A super-mega conference of powere house programs would beat the crap out of each other and none of them would be happy long term. Sure, the TV money would be great, but they would all end up with 2-3 losses every year. Every conference needs KUs, Dukes, Kentuckys, Indianas and the like. Boosters stop feeding the monster if they don't win the conference or national title enough.

I think the logistics of an 18 team conference would be a nightmare. The smaller conferences are doing it as a last resort. I don't think the major conferences will do it if they don't have to. Just too hard to schedule. One of the biggest money makers is rivalries and you never deveolop or retain them if you rarely play each other.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Interesting.

The thing is, the big boys will always need someone they can beat consistently. A super-mega conference of powere house programs would beat the crap out of each other and none of them would be happy long term. Sure, the TV money would be great, but they would all end up with 2-3 losses every year. Every conference needs KUs, Dukes, Kentuckys, Indianas and the like. Boosters stop feeding the monster if they don't win the conference or national title enough.

I think the logistics of an 18 team conference would be a nightmare. The smaller conferences are doing it as a last resort. I don't think the major conferences will do it if they don't have to. Just too hard to schedule. One of the biggest money makers is rivalries and you never deveolop or retain them if you rarely play each other.

Exactly. As tough as this schedule was this year, I will miss not playing every team in the conference when we go back to 12 teams.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I've seen that someone, somewhere in this thread commented that Colorado State might be a good addition to the Big12. Maybe they are attempting to raise their profile with the hiring of former Alabama offensive coordinator Jim McElwain hire. With CU down, CSU could become the best team in CO.

Anybody think CSU would be a good addition?

I just finished grad school at CSU and live in Fort Collins. Their football following has been pretty minimal since the Sonny Lubick era. Students get into games free, tickets are fairly cheap, yet the stadium has been about half empty when I have gone to it the last couple years. There's a lot of things to do in Fort Collins rather than watch a lackluster football team.

That said, CSU has certainly made a statement in canning their AD and coach, to replace with a businessman/ex jock for CSU as the AD, and a high-profile hire for coach. I also heard that the buyout clause for McElwain is pretty steep, so if he wins, hopefully he would stick around for awhile. He is from Montana originally so has roots in the mountains, hopefully that would help.

CSU certainly does not have the resources of your typical Big 12 school. However, they have made new commitments and have other things on the line, such as an expanded basketball facility, that have shown a renewed focus on athletics. I personally would love it if CSU were added to the Big 12, if anything so I could host a tailgate every other year. I'm sure CSU sees the writing on the wall with MWC getting poached, it may be a good time to get out. In some ways it could make sense. However, after adding WVU I wonder if the focus is east instead of west.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Exactly. As tough as this schedule was this year, I will miss not playing every team in the conference when we go back to 12 teams.

Yeah, this year the B12 has been brutal...Any other conference's schedule could've given ISU more wins.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Interesting.

Yeah, you want to talk about schools running for money, how about a conference of USC-Texas-Michigan-Alabama-Florida-Ohio State-Oklahoma-Notre Dame? I'm sure you could get each school TV revenues of 50-60 million/yr. It'll never happen, but its interesting to think about.

Some would scoff at such a geographically challenged conference, but it almost came about in 1959. After the PAC had a bunch of schools (Cal, USC, UCLA and Washington) get in trouble for pay-for-play and the conference disbanded temporarily, an airpline conference was proposed.

It would've included Cal, USC, UCLA, Washington, Army, Navy, Air Force, Penn, Penn St, Duke, and Georgia Tech. And that was when Army, Navy, and Georgia Tech were powerhouses too. It only fell through because the Pentagon forced the service academies to back out. Now the service academies are an afterthought. I wonder how thing would've been different for them if the airplane conference would've actually happened.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
We are heading to 4 18 team leagues folks, that all negotiate together as one entity.

So in reality you mean 8, 9 team, conferences? Seriously if it is going to be conferences of 18 teams, then why not just leave it the way it was. In a 18 game conference are you going to play 10 conference games a year? To me 16 makes sense cause you can have pods of 4 teams, but 18 either has to be divisions of 9 or 3 pods of 6, and scheduling would be a nightmare in both situations.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
So in reality you mean 8, 9 team, conferences? Seriously if it is going to be conferences of 18 teams, then why not just leave it the way it was. In a 18 game conference are you going to play 10 conference games a year? To me 16 makes sense cause you can have pods of 4 teams, but 18 either has to be divisions of 9 or 3 pods of 6, and scheduling would be a nightmare in both situations.

10 team, round robin leagues are still the healthiest scenario. Anything larger and you aren't seeing all the schools on a regular basis. Even 12 team, two division conferences mean you might only see a team from the other division in your stadium once every four years. 14 or 16 team leagues get exponentially worse.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
10 team, round robin leagues are still the healthiest scenario. Anything larger and you aren't seeing all the schools on a regular basis. Even 12 team, two division conferences mean you might only see a team from the other division in your stadium once every four years. 14 or 16 team leagues get exponentially worse.

I agree with you on the 10 team league. I love the B12 as currently constructed, wish Mizzou and Aggy stayed put but WVU and TCU will be capable replacements. I am hoping that the only reason expansion occurs is if ND is involved as a full member.

Snowcraig got his idea from Larry Scott who thinks there will eventually be a conference/association of as many 72 schools negotiating TV deals as one entity like the NFL. Scott's idea makes sense for negotiating leverage but trying to get the likes of Jim Delaney on board with that will be a huge challenge, if not impossible. If Scott's idea does happen, I hope there will be seven 10=team leagues.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I didn't get the idea from Larry Scott. I can't remember which writer it was that came up with it, but it seemed to me to make some sense.

To be honest, I wish we could just go back to the original Big 12, and have all the other conferences settle at 12 without cannibalizing each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.