Zero Waste at CU Stadium...

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
Dumb question: How environmentally "impactful" is a stand "full" of 150 sleeping people?

Because I've never seen Colorado "fans" actually show up to a home game....

I don't think we're the fanbase that should be ripping on other schools attendance patterns (ISU attendance and crowd noise has been the topic of many a thread on CF), I'm not defending CU here, but like every program (except nebraska), when times are tough or the fan base is disgruntled with the coach (Barnett era), attendance will be spotty, especially in a market with the 4 major pro-sports and countless outdoor rec opportunities out the back door. I've witnessed some raucous crowds at Folsom and it's a really fun environment. They had 17k for their spring game this year and Hawkins I think has reinvigorated the fan base.
Also, I love the stereotype of CU football fans all being hippies... most self-righteous hippies I know are anti-football and anti-sports in general, so why would they be at a game?... I've never seen granola at a tailgate in my entire life. From my observations, the typical CU fans are not hippies, but more like the yuppie couple who met at starbucks in the movie Best in Show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That is a great idea, I hope that it succeeds and encourages other schools to follow suit.

Now I'll wait for all the self-proclaimed liberal/hippy haters to start bashing the "nonsense of going green."

All left wingers are a bunch of communist America-hating terrorists who want to eat your children in their sleep, and this is exactly what will happen if Obama is elected. That seems to sum up the views of about half the board...

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Damn Wesley, you make things so simple you take all the fun out of it. Yes, I get strange looks when people spot the roll of plastic trash bags that I keep in my boat. Some of us prefer not to leave an ugly footprint behind be it on the water or in the stadium.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Several of the German Fests we've gone to lately are pretty close to "zero waste". You pay for your glass and redeem it after you're done drinking, and your plate is either porcelain and gets re-used, or it's made out of edible material, and gets eaten after you're done with your meal.

I am particularly fond of the waffle plate that comes with potato pancakes. It soaks in the flavor of the potato cake as well as whatever you top it with.

Yum! It's almost as good as the meal...

BTW - demonizing conservatives doesn't really help your cause.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
"BTW - demonizing conservatives doesn't really help your cause."

AMEN Brother!!!! I am as conservative politically as they come. I am also quite involved in taking good care of this planet so my grandchildrens' grandchildren will have a good place to live. Maybe I do not flap my jaws about it but that does not lessen my conviction. The biggest difference between me and the majority of my liberal friends is that they want the government to handle the problem. It is amazing how few of them will spend a Sunday helping clean junk out of the Skunk River or helping reseed plots to native prairie. Talk is cheap: actions always speak louder than words.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
"BTW - demonizing conservatives doesn't really help your cause."

AMEN Brother!!!! I am as conservative politically as they come. I am also quite involved in taking good care of this planet so my grandchildrens' grandchildren will have a good place to live. Maybe I do not flap my jaws about it but that does not lessen my conviction. The biggest difference between me and the majority of my liberal friends is that they want the government to handle the problem. It is amazing how few of them will spend a Sunday helping clean junk out of the Skunk River or helping reseed plots to native prairie. Talk is cheap: actions always speak louder than words.

Just talking a good game is all part of the plan. If we talked and THEN executed could you imagine all the children we would have eaten by now?!?

:)