Nov 4, 2008
Pg. Magic Johnson
SG. Michael Jordan
SF. Larry Bird
PF. Karl Malone
C. Wilt Chamberlain

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
With it being Michael Jordan's birthday, I thought this was a good idea. Name who your NBA All-Time Team is.

PG- John Stockton
SG- Michael Jordan
Guard- Magic Johnson
F- Bill Russell
C- Wilt Chamberlain.

I think it's possible.

Hard to argue. Two pt guards are fine here because Magic once played 3-4 positions at Mich ST and even had that famous playoff game at center for the Lakers when Kareem was injured.

by the way I hated Magic and the Lakers

2nd team

Malone
Olajuwon
Oscar Robertson
Bird
James

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
If Lebron isn't in your starting 5 you probably got it wrong and should try again.

I completely disagree. LeBron hasn't shown the longevity imo to be considered. He might be worthy some day, but I don't think he's top 5 (or even 10) yet.

My guess is that posters who feel he belongs are fairly young.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
PG Pippen
SG MJ
SF LBJ
PF Avg player
C Avg player

Pip isn't a 10 greatest ever, but he is a top five defender.No one is scoring enough regularly to beat that team, and no one has good enough defensive guards to slow them down consistently.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
< 25 years old crowd: Lebron Lebron Lebron!
> 25 years old crowd: eye roll, yawn, belongs no where close to this list.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Kobe is in the mix as well.

Not a huge Lebron fan, but damn he's good.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
With it being Michael Jordan's birthday, I thought this was a good idea. Name who your NBA All-Time Team is.

PG- John Stockton
SG- Michael Jordan
Guard- Magic Johnson
F- Bill Russell
C- Wilt Chamberlain.

Also, will LeBron crack this list once he retires?

I think it's possible.

PG - Jamaal Tinsley
SG - Fred Hoiberg
SF - Royce White
PF - Marcus Fizer
C - Kelvin Cato

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Defense wins championships...

Gary Payton
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

I figured this team doesn't need a PG on offense as MJ and Kareem can create their own shot, so I chose probably the best defensive point guard of all time.

Every player I selected has an argument for best defensive player at their position. Center and SF were the hardest selections. I wanted to take Hakeem Olajuwon, but the Sky Hook won out over the Dream Shake.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Starting 5

PG - Oscar Robertson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Kobe Bryant
PF - Kareem Abdul Jabbar
C - Wilt Chamberlin

2nd 5

PG - John Stockton
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - Dominique Wilkins
PF - Karl Malone
C - Shaquille O'Neal

last 3 Moses Malone, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Maybe LeBron in time would fill this slot, but he has a long way to go. Certainly wouldn't be in my top 10 every night rotation.

Some may question my selection of Kareem as a PF. I think in today's NBA he'd be a long 4 like KG. Regardless he'd shut down any 4 out there and score over them as well. Especially with Wilt and MJ on the floor with him.

For the second 5 I picked Reggie at the 2 reluctantly. I came down to Reggie, Bird and Ray Allen as shooters arguably the 3 best in league history. I couldn't really argue with Bird and Allen or Reggie and Ray etc... As for Dominique he is the proven LeBron is the projected. Forget comparing LeBron to MJ, LeBron doesn't compare favorably with Kobe or Nique. I stand by my All Time roster and think it is pretty solid

Edit - As for the guy that said Defense wins championships Oscar Robertson was the first Big PG. he scored over 26,000 pts had darn near 10,000 asts and was 6'5" and locked dudes up. I'd take him over GP everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. (trouble is they didn't keep Steals as an official stat for basically his entire NBA career)

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
LeBron is the second best of all time, he belongs on the team.

14kwrhk.gif

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Edit - As for the guy that said Defense wins championships Oscar Robertson was the first Big PG. he scored over 26,000 pts had darn near 10,000 asts and was 6'5" and locked dudes up. I'd take him over GP everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. (trouble is they didn't keep Steals as an official stat for basically his entire NBA career)

I'd probably have Oscar Robertson as the greatest point guard on a list of greatest point guards. But, I have never seen him play and can only base that on stats, and second or third hand sources. And I haven't heard much about his defensive ability. I knew he could rebound, and was a big PG.

I chose Gary Payton because I knew what he was defensively. And he was easily the best PG I have seen on defense. Not statistically, but his ability to shut down an opponent and disrupt an offense was unmatched in the time I have watched the NBA.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
PG-Isaiah Thomas
SG-Michael Jordan
SF-Oscar Robertson
PF-Dennis Rodman
C-Kevin Garnett
Bench
6-Magic
7-Joe Dumars
8-Dr. J